Small crack maintenance

ichadwick

Reaction score
Just got a baritone uke (Beansprout, built by Aaron Keim) and it has two cracks in it. The finish seems to be hand-rubbed oil. Would like some advice from our luthier members.

There's a small, almost invisible hairline crack from the bridge to the lower end of the top, which I believe is the two top pieces separating slightly. This is probably just one or both sides drying out a bit and lifting, so I think applying some wood (teak) oil to the top should help prevent it from going further. I don't think it's serious, but will need watching and probably regular oiling.

There is a more noticeable crack on the back - sloppily repaired by the former owner so the two sides of it don't align (one side is a bit higher than the other, so it's easily felt and seen, and the wood glue is pretty obvious). It doesn't affect the sound, but I didn't know about it before, and the former owner never mentioned it to me in our conversations. I'm a bit miffed at finding it out only after opening the box.

I'm not sure what can be done to it. I don't think it's a serious crack that could worsen, but I'm not a luthier who can determine these things. I am not sure about sanding it because I don't want to weaken a spot on the back, but can't think of another way to better smooth the difference between the two sides.

Any suggestions or comments?

Probably unwise to comment without nice clear pics of the damage, preferably with a straight edge lying across the top to see if the shape (radius or lack thereof) of the top has moved for some reason... I wouldn't sand anything on the bad repair, I haven't read anything about fixing a bad seam repair but I'd imagine meticulously removing the adhesive somehow then doing the repair right with cleats and all is in order, probably after rehydrating the uke cause it kinda sounds like it got left in a bad environment.

Top Bottom