It's amazing how UAS waxes and wanes...

NatalieS

Reaction score
At the moment, I have almost no UAS. (I say "almost" because I just saw the Ohana CK-75CG for sale in the Marketplace and got that heart-fluttery feeling of "I want!")

But... since I got my Kamaka, I have no desire to play any other ukes. I know that little pineapple is the uke for me. I know that no other soprano will ever replace it. And since soprano's are my favorite uke size, I think I'm all set. I still have my other ukes, but they haven't been touched in the last month. I'm re-evaluating which ones I need, and which ones can go on to new owners.

I'm also trying to live as frugally as I can, in all aspects of life. I've been going through the house and downsizing books, movies, unnecessary things. It's great to send that stuff along to other people who need it! I'm concentrating on hobbies, like paddling and my aquariums, and that keeps my mind off of ukes 24/7.

I'm sure UAS will come back some day with a vengeance, but I hope it doesn't. I am so content right where I am! :)

How about you all? Does UAS come and go, or is it a steady addiction?

I think it comes and goes. I had pretty much been free of UAS in the last year and a half other than picking up one during a trip to Oahu (how could I not??). However, after I received a custom Glyph that had been in the works for 3+ years, it kind of triggered a mini episode of UAS. In the last week or so I bought a Lanikai zebrawood concert and placed an order for a Mya Moe. I hope that's the end of it, but who knows...

I can't seem to get to the waning part! Since I got my 8 string I haven't really looked at new ukes, but I keep running on to old beauties that just need "a little work" to get them back to their original glory so I can't seem to stop. Would that be VUAS (vintage uke aquisition syndrome)?

Hi Natalie! I think it comes and goes. When I got my first Kamaka (soprano) I thought I was done with UAS - I did the same thing as you, ignored all the other ukes except for that one. Then I decided I needed a Kamaka pineapple, and while shopping around for that I ended up with a Kamaka concert. I'm pretty sure that if I had to pick a favorite size, concert would be it - so theoretically I should be done, right? :) But I still find myself thinking about getting a pineapple. Thinking *a lot* about it!

I'm with you re: the frugality downsizing. A little over a year ago I moved into a 250 square foot apartment, so what came with me was already very limited, and I've been steadily downsizing ever since. Except for a handful of books, my media is all digital and fits on my laptop; my closet is tiny so it only contains the clothes I love most. And space constraints limit me to never having more than FIVE ukes. Rather than buy "stuff," I'd rather save my money for experiences (Hawaii next spring? Maybe!).

Except for that darned pineapple lust. It just doesn't go away!

My KoAloha concert uke seems to be "the one", so my UAS was in remission...
Then I sold a Kala tenor, leaving me without a "backup" uke.
Now that I have a Fluke concert on the way, I'm feeling more secure.
Oh wait, there was that Dixie banjolele that caught my eye...

I am surrounded by ukes being a dealer, so that sort of calms down the UAS big time. Not that I do not love them, I just have to discipline myself because I can not have everything I want!

BUT... in Tampa I had the opportunity to trade a uke. I ended up with a Recording King Resonator and I am giddy with love! I did not think I would be, but when he said he had one to trade I thought "might as well take a peek!" Might be fun to strum around on adn then hand it back. I played it and it is LOVE! Right up my little loud tin-ey alley! And it is shiney... oh I so love shiney things! And it is heavy and maybe this is weird of me, but I like the heavy feel! So, the UAS hit and the trade was made! Ha!

So, you never know! You may never want another uke ever again... or... one day by chance you may play another uke that sings to you in a completely different way!

Oh wait, there was that Dixie banjolele that caught my eye...

Don't do it! Friends don't let friends buy Dixies... ;)

Seriously, for me it comes and goes. I've bought four ukes in the last six months, the worst UAS I've ever had. But what was it that Oscar Wilde said about temptation: the only way to overcome it is to give in to it. Well, that did the trick. The minute I bought my last one - a Ludwig Wendell Hall - poof. I stopped looking online, dropped a few seller links and generally felt like a weight had been lifted. And now, I get to play the lovely thing. :)

So yes, it comes and, thankfully, goes...

I'm suffering a particularly bad attack at the moment. It started about a week ago, and is getting worse. What makes this episode so bad, is that my UAS has set its sights much, much higher this time.

Might have to give up eating.......

I am done with UAS. Done totally. I got my dream ukulele last month and I have absolutely no desire to purchase another ukulele. Sorry. UAS can be stopped.

Aloha Natalie,
How about Mary Mac's William King Soprano, are you contemplating on it...I recall that you always wanted one..hmmmm

Haha no, I don't need any more ukes. A ways back I was trying to find my ideal soprano, and I've found it in my Kamaka. No more uke buying for me!

My UAS definitely waxes and wanes. It waxes all day... wanes when I fall asleep at night (unless I'm dreaming about ukes) then returns promptly the next day. Thought I had moved on until I strummed a new Collings Adirondack spruce UC2 concert the other day. Ohhhhhhh do I ever have a bad case of UAS now!

hi Nat

so far I'm all wax and no wane!:eek: but hoping to one day reach your place of contentment...must be a nice view from there:)

Right now I'm good. I had UAS (or at least PineappleSundayUAS bad for a while) but now it has waned. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own a Moore Bettah one day, and I certainly like looking at and listening to beautiful ukes -- I window shop every time I go to Hawaii. But I feel like I have the uke of my life right now. And I love her dearly. :)

Right now I'm good. I had UAS (or at least PineappleSundayUAS bad for a while) but now it has waned. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own a Moore Bettah one day, and I certainly like looking at and listening to beautiful ukes -- I window shop every time I go to Hawaii. But I feel like I have the uke of my life right now. And I love her dearly. :)

hi wickedwahine! is your dream uke the Kamaka Tenor??? I bet it is!!! That one's next on my list...not until after Christmas though! :eek:

Top Bottom