No ukes at Guitar Center

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
I just went to the Guitar Center in N.Attleboro, Mass and they didnt have a single ukulele. I know it is not the Ukulele Center but with Christmas coming I thought I would see a few but I didnt see one. They have more ukuleles at the Christmas tree shop. What's up with The Guitar Center.

Last edited:
That's odd. There's a George's Music store where I live in PA that has SIGNIFICANTLY expanded its uke section since I started playing last Christmas. I hope this trend continues as the overall uke selection in the NE is dreadful.

Last edited:
My local GC is a wasteland, when it comes to ukes. Its very strange (and short-sighted) of them not to be stocking up on ukes for the Christmas season at the very least. In contrast my local Sam Ash has quite a few and the manager tells me they are out selling guitars and he can't keep them in stock. Of course neither one carries any high end ukes, so its nice we have UkeRepublic close by.

My local G.C. has a couple Lanikai's, Cordoba's and some cheap soprano. They're all locked up though. They are in with all the acoustic guitars in that humidified room but they're behind glass. It takes forever for someone to come and unlock the glass too. I went in a couple times just to see what they would do.

I don't see how they can sell any if they're inaccessible.

The GC in San Francisco, has Martin and recently added Kala which they are actually charging full retail, about 30% higher than MGM!

They probably have them in the back under some lights in a pot full of peat hoping they will grow up to be a guitar. "Dude, they sent us some more of the Guitar seeds again"!

I remember one time going to the local GC and waiting in line to check out. When the guy behind the counter gets to me he says, "I'll be right back". He goes runnin in the back like there is an emergency. He comes back out after about 5-10 minutes like Pigpen from Charlie Brown, you know, a big cloud of smoke around him. Evidenlty the emergency was "dey wuz burnin one down" in the backroom!! I thought it was so funny I about busted a gut.

Maybe it's was like a shift meeting at WalMart. Dudes, Remember the word for today.....oh, ahm, errr anyone remember cuz I forgot. Brandon, Huh? Hey man youi ever think the universe is one big crystal on some giants ring and our sun is just an atom....wow....Oh yah the word for today is oo-koo-lay-lay. What's that mean? Dude that's french for Pass that blunt....

Last edited:
Our guitar center has tons of them (Albany NY) Most are in the humidity controlled room.. a few cheaper ones up by the counter in the room with all the mic's, strings and pedals. books etc.. bummer...

Hmmmmm? I've pestered the Guitar Center store in Nashville for most of the past year to get more ukes. Was shocked when I went by the other day and they had a wall full of them... Cordobas, Hilo, Lanakai and a couple of others... nothing that jumped off the wall at me BUT... they're making the effort. Must be an individual store choice. I say, "Let you local store know they're falling short!
I just went to the Guitar Center in N.Attleboro, Mass and they didnt have a single ukulele. I know it is not the Ukulele Center but with Christmas coming I thought I would see a few but I didnt see one. They have more ukuleles at the Christmas tree shop. What's up with The Guitar Center.

Our Guitar Center - Rockville, MD - has expanded their ukes for sale... located in the acoustic guitar section, hanging on the wall. Used to be only one uke - a Cordoba - now a couple more and a Lanakai. Our local mom-and-pop music store, Victor Litz Music (Gaithersburg), has been selling ukes for a couple years, and has truly blossomed with dozens of ukes, mostly Kala, and some cheapie brands. They do stock the Kala U-bass...

I agree its Mighty F.I.N.E. to see more music stores selling ukuleles.. now if the brand selection was expanded. Despite the addition of more ukes in local stores, I still buy ukes from MGM... and no shop near here sells KoAloha.

They keep their ukuleles on the wall in the acoustic guitar room.

I had a similar experience with our local Guitar Center, not a single uke! And the kid at the counter looked at me like I had two heads for asking about them. That was about 6 months ago and I haven't been back since. Luckily we have Acoustic Music downtown that carries a pretty good selection of Kala, Lanikai, and Ohana but nothing in the higher end ukes or much variety in strings, thank goodness for MGM, Mim, and Elderly.

I just wanted to chip in with an obscure fact: in the state of Tasmania the ukulele is now officially the fastest selling string instrument!!!

Yep, selling more ukes here than guitars, violins, basses...this has been helped by the fact that schools have now turned away from the recorder (thankfully) and on to the ukulele for primary school music lessons.

A couple of years back the only ukes you could buy here were the cheap coloured Mahalos...now we have all sorts, the range has expanded incredibly and you can get Kala, Lanikai, Anuenue, Royal etc. It's awesome....there's a huge uke boom and Tassie is leading the charge...ironic really, as the rest of Australia considers us as somewhat backward:)

I live in southwest missouri at lake of Ozarks and we have two music stores in area one local, and one 25 miles away. the local carries no ukes, but the larger guitar center 25 miles away, Morgan Music, recently put in a stock supply of the Kala line on a nice display rack. They are carrying a fair range from sopranos to tenors, no baritones, a couple with pickups, and right by the door where you see them immediately when you walk in. Don't see any moving off the display, but may be and just being replaced. I've been trying to talk them in to carrying uke strings other than martins. They are considering it. They also carry a decent number of uke music books. Progress!! Lozark

I showed this thread to my wife and she said "That's why they call it the Guitar Center and not the Uke Center" :)

Hmmmmm? I've pestered the Guitar Center store in Nashville for most of the past year to get more ukes. Was shocked when I went by the other day and they had a wall full of them... Cordobas, Hilo, Lanakai and a couple of others... nothing that jumped off the wall at me BUT... they're making the effort. Must be an individual store choice. I say, "Let you local store know they're falling short!

Bet they loved you!! Pester the to carry ukes and then you don't buy nothin' :D

My GC doesn't care any either N/W Chicago. Sam Ash has a few low to middle range.

Top Bottom