PDA

View Full Version : No ukes at Guitar Center

Pukulele Pete
11-11-2010, 08:15 AM
I just went to the Guitar Center in N.Attleboro, Mass and they didnt have a single ukulele. I know it is not the Ukulele Center but with Christmas coming I thought I would see a few but I didnt see one. They have more ukuleles at the Christmas tree shop. What's up with The Guitar Center.

soupking
11-11-2010, 08:30 AM
That's odd. There's a George's Music store where I live in PA that has SIGNIFICANTLY expanded its uke section since I started playing last Christmas. I hope this trend continues as the overall uke selection in the NE is dreadful.

SweetWaterBlue
11-11-2010, 09:05 AM
My local GC is a wasteland, when it comes to ukes. Its very strange (and short-sighted) of them not to be stocking up on ukes for the Christmas season at the very least. In contrast my local Sam Ash has quite a few and the manager tells me they are out selling guitars and he can't keep them in stock. Of course neither one carries any high end ukes, so its nice we have UkeRepublic close by.

RyRod
11-11-2010, 09:25 AM
My local G.C. has a couple Lanikai's, Cordoba's and some cheap soprano. They're all locked up though. They are in with all the acoustic guitars in that humidified room but they're behind glass. It takes forever for someone to come and unlock the glass too. I went in a couple times just to see what they would do.

I don't see how they can sell any if they're inaccessible.

ukecantdothat
11-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Maybe they sell so fast they have trouble keeping 'em on the shelves... or locked up behind glass!

danged
11-11-2010, 10:28 AM
The GC in San Francisco, has Martin and recently added Kala which they are actually charging full retail, about 30% higher than MGM!

Ukuleleblues
11-11-2010, 10:38 AM
They probably have them in the back under some lights in a pot full of peat hoping they will grow up to be a guitar. "Dude, they sent us some more of the Guitar seeds again"!

I remember one time going to the local GC and waiting in line to check out. When the guy behind the counter gets to me he says, "I'll be right back". He goes runnin in the back like there is an emergency. He comes back out after about 5-10 minutes like Pigpen from Charlie Brown, you know, a big cloud of smoke around him. Evidenlty the emergency was "dey wuz burnin one down" in the backroom!! I thought it was so funny I about busted a gut.

Maybe it's was like a shift meeting at WalMart. Dudes, Remember the word for today.....oh, ahm, errr anyone remember cuz I forgot. Brandon, Huh? Hey man youi ever think the universe is one big crystal on some giants ring and our sun is just an atom....wow....Oh yah the word for today is oo-koo-lay-lay. What's that mean? Dude that's french for Pass that blunt....

fitncrafty
11-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Our guitar center has tons of them (Albany NY) Most are in the humidity controlled room.. a few cheaper ones up by the counter in the room with all the mic's, strings and pedals. books etc.. bummer...

musiccityuker
11-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Hmmmmm? I've pestered the Guitar Center store in Nashville for most of the past year to get more ukes. Was shocked when I went by the other day and they had a wall full of them... Cordobas, Hilo, Lanakai and a couple of others... nothing that jumped off the wall at me BUT... they're making the effort. Must be an individual store choice. I say, "Let you local store know they're falling short!
I just went to the Guitar Center in N.Attleboro, Mass and they didnt have a single ukulele. I know it is not the Ukulele Center but with Christmas coming I thought I would see a few but I didnt see one. They have more ukuleles at the Christmas tree shop. What's up with The Guitar Center.

telebob
11-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Our Guitar Center - Rockville, MD - has expanded their ukes for sale... located in the acoustic guitar section, hanging on the wall. Used to be only one uke - a Cordoba - now a couple more and a Lanakai. Our local mom-and-pop music store, Victor Litz Music (Gaithersburg), has been selling ukes for a couple years, and has truly blossomed with dozens of ukes, mostly Kala, and some cheapie brands. They do stock the Kala U-bass...

I agree its Mighty F.I.N.E. to see more music stores selling ukuleles.. now if the brand selection was expanded. Despite the addition of more ukes in local stores, I still buy ukes from MGM... and no shop near here sells KoAloha.

Pippin
11-11-2010, 09:12 PM

They keep their ukuleles on the wall in the acoustic guitar room.

Pukulele Pete
11-11-2010, 11:42 PM
They keep their ukuleles on the wall in the acoustic guitar room.
Yes, I looked there, not one ukulele.

kenikas
11-12-2010, 12:43 AM
I had a similar experience with our local Guitar Center, not a single uke! And the kid at the counter looked at me like I had two heads for asking about them. That was about 6 months ago and I haven't been back since. Luckily we have Acoustic Music downtown that carries a pretty good selection of Kala, Lanikai, and Ohana but nothing in the higher end ukes or much variety in strings, thank goodness for MGM, Mim, and Elderly.

Hippie Dribble
11-12-2010, 12:55 AM
I just wanted to chip in with an obscure fact: in the state of Tasmania the ukulele is now officially the fastest selling string instrument!!!

Yep, selling more ukes here than guitars, violins, basses...this has been helped by the fact that schools have now turned away from the recorder (thankfully) and on to the ukulele for primary school music lessons.

A couple of years back the only ukes you could buy here were the cheap coloured Mahalos...now we have all sorts, the range has expanded incredibly and you can get Kala, Lanikai, Anuenue, Royal etc. It's awesome....there's a huge uke boom and Tassie is leading the charge...ironic really, as the rest of Australia considers us as somewhat backward:)

The_Oddness_of_It_All
11-12-2010, 02:03 AM
I know what you mean! The Guitar Centers around me have almost nothing!!!

lozarkman
11-12-2010, 02:12 AM
I live in southwest missouri at lake of Ozarks and we have two music stores in area one local, and one 25 miles away. the local carries no ukes, but the larger guitar center 25 miles away, Morgan Music, recently put in a stock supply of the Kala line on a nice display rack. They are carrying a fair range from sopranos to tenors, no baritones, a couple with pickups, and right by the door where you see them immediately when you walk in. Don't see any moving off the display, but may be and just being replaced. I've been trying to talk them in to carrying uke strings other than martins. They are considering it. They also carry a decent number of uke music books. Progress!! Lozark

Dane
11-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Last time I was at a guitar center I was down in LA, they had about 10 or so hanging in a corner near their acoustic room. They were of course all 100 and below.

Ukuleleblues
11-12-2010, 11:49 AM
I showed this thread to my wife and she said "That's why they call it the Guitar Center and not the Uke Center" :)

olgoat52
11-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Hmmmmm? I've pestered the Guitar Center store in Nashville for most of the past year to get more ukes. Was shocked when I went by the other day and they had a wall full of them... Cordobas, Hilo, Lanakai and a couple of others... nothing that jumped off the wall at me BUT... they're making the effort. Must be an individual store choice. I say, "Let you local store know they're falling short!

Bet they loved you!! Pester the to carry ukes and then you don't buy nothin' :D

olgoat52
11-12-2010, 12:12 PM
My GC doesn't care any either N/W Chicago. Sam Ash has a few low to middle range.

Papi
11-13-2010, 02:38 PM
We have two Guitar Centers in Indianapolis (North and South)... both are carrying more Ukes in the last few months. Mostly are Fender and Cordoba. The Sam Ash store has a much larger display they say is hard to keep stocked. Nearby on the northside is Reno's Music which seems to have about any Kala, Lainaki, Riptide you want and a few Ponos. And then of course Mainland Ukes is only about an hour from me :) . It is nice to be able to put "hands on" and make a decision versus just online orders.

itsme
11-13-2010, 03:17 PM
I say, "Let you local store know they're falling short!
Exactly! Since you missed your chance to do it in person, call them up and ask what ukes they have. When they say they don't have any, say, "That's too bad, because I really wanted to buy a bunch for Christmas presents for my nieces and nephews" or whatever. Let them know they've lost your business because they don't stock ukes. The more demand they get, the more likely they'll be to stock them. :)

ukecantdothat
11-13-2010, 03:23 PM
I showed this thread to my wife and she said "That's why they call it the Guitar Center and not the Uke Center" :)Of course they are also the Bass Center and the Drum Center and the Keyboard Center. I'm in LA, too, and Guitar Centers around here pretty much throw ukers a bone with their "selection" of 3 or 4 makers. Last time I was at the WLA store, the guy in the acoustic room kept saying he'd get me the key "as soon as he was done with the guitar players." He really said that. Of course, to be fair, there were two other guys ahead of me. It was just a funny way to put it. But c'mon! How long does it take to get the key? These guys could play forever. Besides which, it was a low-end Cordoba behind the glass, not bad, but nothing special. Best Buy has the same thing right now, same price, right there for anyone to fondle. I hung around while the guitar players noodled and I noodled myself on a few Taylors, glancing at the guy every so often. He'd nod like he's gonna get the key while the guitar player's asking him good questions and it occurs to me this guy's not gonna get the key. He's gonna hope I keep playing these Taylors! So I walked. Not that I was going to buy that Cordoba. Not then, anyway, who knows? So I didn't really care if the guy got the key or not, it was just kinda funny, really. If I was wanting to play one of the primo guitars under glass, that key woulda been slammin' that keyhole!

ksiegel
12-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Interesting.... I went to the Albany, NY Guitar Center about 6 weeks ago (when this thread was starting), looked at and played several ukes. The Rep kept trying to push a Fender, but I wouldn't even try it - I was paying attention to a Cordoba Koa Concert, when I noticed that they had two of the same model number, but radically different appearance. Serial numbers in different locations, different thickness necks, bridges and saddles completely different, and one had no name on the headstock. The intonation was different as well, but the rep said they'd match the Musician's Friend price of $219 (easy to do, since they are the same company). I hate chains, but I was ready to buy then and there.

Except for one thing - the uke was labeled as coming with a gig bag, and they couldn't locate a single gig bag in the store.

I was assured more would be in the following week,so I left my name and number, (saw them entered into the computer) and asked to be called as soon as one arrived, so I could look at and play it.

I'm still waiting.

So instead, I went to a local, single location music shop, and had them order a 20-TM for me, with the proviso that I wasn't committing to buy it, unless and until I thought it was the right uke for me.

I bought it.

I have no reason to go back to Guitar Center - a single phone call in a reasonable amount of time would have made me a customer, but they screwed that up.

Their loss, since I'm looking for a second uke at the moment... and MusicGuyMike has some sweet deals on Riptides.... WITH cases.

Dane
12-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Interesting.... I went to the Albany, NY Guitar Center about 6 weeks ago (when this thread was starting), looked at and played several ukes. The Rep kept trying to push a Fender, but I wouldn't even try it - I was paying attention to a Cordoba Koa Concert, when I noticed that they had two of the same model number, but radically different appearance. Serial numbers in different locations, different thickness necks, bridges and saddles completely different, and one had no name on the headstock. The intonation was different as well, but the rep said they'd match the Musician's Friend price of $219 (easy to do, since they are the same company). I hate chains, but I was ready to buy then and there.

Except for one thing - the uke was labeled as coming with a gig bag, and they couldn't locate a single gig bag in the store.

I was assured more would be in the following week,so I left my name and number, (saw them entered into the computer) and asked to be called as soon as one arrived, so I could look at and play it.

I'm still waiting.

So instead, I went to a local, single location music shop, and had them order a 20-TM for me, with the proviso that I wasn't committing to buy it, unless and until I thought it was the right uke for me.

I bought it.

I have no reason to go back to Guitar Center - a single phone call in a reasonable amount of time would have made me a customer, but they screwed that up.

Their loss, since I'm looking for a second uke at the moment... and MusicGuyMike has some sweet deals on Riptides.... WITH cases.

You must understand that guitar center is mostly geared towards younger people just starting to play guitar the vintage rooms and acoustic rooms are better sometimes. But I've even been in the vintage room before and seen a guy pick up a beautiful 335 semi-hollow, then walk over to a crappy circuitboard amp and crank the distortion up until there is no more recognizeable tone differentiation.

JoeOahu
12-04-2010, 07:20 PM
The Guitar Center in Lynnwood keeps them locked up too. They have a couple of cheapo ukes that I tried, and they brought in some more for the holidays actually. Not a great selection overall. When I first started uke, I remember being desperate for a uke and went home a with a Lanikai there only to return it to get my Kamaka. Absolutely no pro series. I am very disappointed with them on these grounds.

Joe

OldePhart
12-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Did you ask or just not see any? Our GC here had two or three but they were in a display case under the cash register in the acoustic guitar room.

Not that they had anything I wanted.

John

ksiegel
12-06-2010, 02:21 PM
The Albany Guitar Center had the ukes in the Acoustic room, nothing locked up in that room but a couple of really expensive guitars. Everything else out in the open and playable. There were at least 20 ukes in the room.

the Lunas and Mitchells were OK, the Cordoba Koas were nice (if completely different, with the same model numbers), and there was a mahogany Cordoba A/E tenor also, but I didn't want my first uke to be electric; heck I haven't even plugged in my Epi ES175 reissue after 14 months, and just plugged my '91 Ovation pinnacle in for the first time this past summer...

But again, they would have had the sale on the spot without me shopping around if they'd had the gig bag on hand. (The one that ships with the ukulele)

They lost the sale. Their own damn fault.

fitncrafty
12-06-2010, 02:30 PM
The Albany Guitar Center had the ukes in the Acoustic room, nothing locked up in that room but a couple of really expensive guitars. Everything else out in the open and playable. There were at least 20 ukes in the room.

the Lunas and Mitchells were OK, the Cordoba Koas were nice (if completely different, with the same model numbers), and there was a mahogany Cordoba A/E tenor also, but I didn't want my first uke to be electric; heck I haven't even plugged in my Epi ES175 reissue after 14 months, and just plugged my '91 Ovation pinnacle in for the first time this past summer...

But again, they would have had the sale on the spot without me shopping around if they'd had the gig bag on hand. (The one that ships with the ukulele)

They lost the sale. Their own damn fault.

I was in there a few weeks ago, the bags were hanging on the wall in the little room inside the humidity controlled room. I remember thinking how weird it was they were just hanging in the there and there were no ukes in that room.. Strange. My little one loves to go in there and play the drums.. We don't buy much of anything in their but guitar music. I like Drome sound much better... (and they give us a military discount too)

ukularwarhead
12-06-2010, 03:18 PM
The GC by me has just kicked up their uke selection. They dont carry very nice ones but they are all just hanging on the wall so its fun to just pop in and play for a while. A local music store by me has recently got into ukes. They carry Kalas almost exclusively but they have a wide selection of ukes and accessorries. Bought my uke from that local shop. Couldnt be happier