Strumming pattern for I'm Yours?

sionicle

Reaction score
I have been playing ukulele for over a year, but I mostly do tabs and picking instead of chords because 1, I can't sing, and 2, I don't know how I should strum for that certain song. How do I know how to strum certain songs when it just gives me chords?

http://ukulelehunt.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/imyours.pdf

How do I strum that? Or any other song for that matter?

Last edited:
hi sionicle and welcome to the UU forums!!!

tough questions as there is a lot involved...

For me, the simplest way to learn to strum is to pick a song you know really well...then get the sheet music for it...it's probably easiest to start strumming by using your index finger, relax your wrist and let your strumming hand move across the strings in time with the natural rhythm of the song...when you do that, a natural strum pattern will start to take shape that you'll feel inherently comfortable with....the more you practice, the easier it'll get

with the Jason Mraz song it's a little more complicated as you'll need to develop a strumming skill called "chunking" or "palming" where you mute the strings by pressing down the heel of your palm over the strings at either the bottom or top of the strum

To learn about some basic strum techniques you can trawl through Aldrine's videos on this web site, also look on previous threads on this "Beginners" board where there are a number of threads about strumming, and chunking.

Also, there is a great DVD available by a guy called Ralph Shaw called "Essential Strums for the Ukulele" which is really, really good

All the best with it mate...like anything, practice will get you there, just keep persisting and your time spent will ultimately pay off!!!

Hi Sionicle, here is a link of a tutorial for "I'm your's". It's long, the strum techique is at 5:31. Ukulele Mike is one of UU's favorite's for lessons. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YziJRJFNfdc. There are many like this if you search on youtube.
DAP

Top Bottom