I Need to Spruce Up A Bit!

musiccityuker

Reaction score
After a couple of years of ukeing I'm finally developing preferences. I love all of my ukes... the koa and the mahoganies. But the sound that appeals most to me when I hear other ukes is the punchiness and clarity that seems inherent in a good quality Spruce Top. So... I'm in the market. Anyone have a recommendation for a nice spruce top concert.... in the $300-500 range... give or take?

Well, I see you are from Nashville , TN. I would take a trip to Nashville, IN and check out David Gill Ukes. I have a concert pineapple with a spruce top. the other that I have seen ,and there is one on ebay, is a boat paddle uke. But the Gill and boat paddle are made in the USA

hi ukeeku

just wanted to throw in a plug for the Royal Concert ukes...you can check them out here:

www.westwoodguitars.com

really sweet sounding, with heaps of crunch and projection, but with nice warmth underneath. They do a lovely spruce top model with mahogany back and sides, rosewood fingerboard etc...would set you back only around $250 mark + shipping. Fairly narrow neck, lots of bite. I have mine strung with aquilas and they are a good match for this uke...happy shopping!!!

Last edited:
hi ukeeku

just wanted to throw in a plug for the Royal Concert ukes...you can check them out here:

www.westwoodguitars.com

really sweet sounding, with heaps of crunch and projection, but with nice warmth underneath. They do a lovely spruce top model with mahogany back and sides, rosewood fingerboard etc...would set you back only around $250 mark + shipping. Fairly narrow neck, lots of bite. I have mine strung with aquilas and they are a good match for this uke...happy shopping!!!
Not a big thing, but their site is:
http://westwoodguitarcompany.com
but I am looking at them now.

After a couple of years of ukeing I'm finally developing preferences. I love all of my ukes... the koa and the mahoganies. But the sound that appeals most to me when I hear other ukes is the punchiness and clarity that seems inherent in a good quality Spruce Top. So... I'm in the market. Anyone have a recommendation for a nice spruce top concert.... in the $300-500 range... give or take?

I will recommend three ukes.

1. Mele
2. Loprinzi (closer to the $500 range I believe)
3. New Ponos

I am a Mele fan. Always have and always will be. The Loprinzi ukes are just phenomanal and they are just as good as a "K" brand uke. The new Ponos are very nice and I would own one if it wasn;t for my Mele affection:)

I have both a Kala spalted Maple tenor and baritone with solid spruce tops, and I love them. True, the clarity and punch is outstanding. I use Aquilas on them, as I think it brings out the best of what they offer. I have a OSU6 Koa tenor that I keep worth browns on as it brings out a much mellower, softer sound, which I sometimes like for some songs. Lozark

I'm a spruce fan also. Ohana is a nice way to go. One of the best sounds I've gotten is from an Ohana Vita - though it is soprano scale.

I do not think there is a better acoustic spruce top uke for the money than a Lanikai ST or its Kala cousin. For some reason, the Kala is usually about $30 more, but they pretty much look and sound the same. One of the guys in my SEUker group has a sweet sounding spruce Kala tenor, and its volume blows away pretty much all the more mellow mahogany, cedar, acacia, and others except for perhaps a Koaloha. For $400, you can buy 3 Lanikai STs. Not a lot of bling but the fit and finish is excellent. If you don't mind losing a little bass the Kala travel tenor is also a great buy.

If you have headstock lust, stay away from the Kala and Lanikai STs. They won't impress any of your friends, except when you play them lol.

Last edited:
Aloha Musiccityuker, I bought a Kala FMC, Flmed Maple with solid Spruce top. It's beautiful and sounds bright and punchy. List for $320? but better prices on ebay. Happy shopping... BO...

I had the opportunity to play an Ohana Vita-Uke (CKP-70) with a spruce top last night at the SEUkers meeting. All I can say is wow. It was about the size of a soprano body, but man was that thing loud and sounded sweet too. Beautiful instrument.

Last edited:
Haole... thanks for the advice... Bought my first two ukes from Cheryl at Mele. Still have 'em. Love 'em. Want a concert spruce top and Mele only has a soprano or tenor spruce. I have a Pono concert (mahogany) that I love. Will check the Loprinzi. Thanks for your help.
I will recommend three ukes.

1. Mele
2. Loprinzi (closer to the $500 range I believe)
3. New Ponos

I am a Mele fan. Always have and always will be. The Loprinzi ukes are just phenomanal and they are just as good as a "K" brand uke. The new Ponos are very nice and I would own one if it wasn;t for my Mele affection:)

Hi Eugene. Thanks for the repost. FINALLY found the Westwood site... ha! Looks like the only spruce top tenor has laminated sides. Scares me a little.
sorry 'bout that...got a bit excited...I should have double checked before posting...and I think well worth a look...great value for the sound they produce...be interested in your impressions!

Top Bottom