PDA

View Full Version : Got a Koaloha

dnewton2
11-12-2010, 02:15 AM
Well it has been a while since I got a new uke, about 18 months. So today is my 5th anniversary, and the traditional gift is wood. Pretty convienent for me huh. So I told my wife to get me a new uke. I pretty much narrowed it down to a few for her to chose from. She got me a Koaloha Concert (2nd) and it arrived yesterday. I still want to make some adjustments, mainly lower the action and probably different strings. This is acctually my first K-brand.

So my initial taughts. This thing is light, weightwise. The body is thinner then my Moore Bettah and it appears to be slightly smaller overall. Really loud and sounds amazing. I don't have much else to compare it to beside my Moore Bettah. I think the MB is nicer overall but the Koaloha is still a real nice ukulele. Well I need to do some work now so I can play around with my new toy for a while.

Lexxy
11-12-2010, 02:21 AM
Pics and vids, please! *Everyone gather around for the show!*

mm stan
11-12-2010, 02:58 AM
Aloha Dnewton2,
Congrats on the new KoAloha uke and your fifth anniversary....Have Fun and Enjoy!! Happy Strummings... MM Stan...

dkcrown
11-12-2010, 03:02 AM
Great choice by your wife on the KoAloha concert Dnewton2. As a custom cabinetmaker, I always thought that every anniversary should be a wooden one

joeybug
11-12-2010, 03:03 AM
Congrats on the new Uke! Happy New Uke Day and Happy anniversary too :D

Looking forward to pictures and videos!

Mandarb
11-12-2010, 03:32 AM
Congrats on the anniversary and the new uke.

Ronnie Aloha
11-12-2010, 03:55 AM
Good choice on the gift. Can't go wrong on the KoAloha concert. Everyone that tries mine is amazed at how light it is.
Was The MB your first uke?

wickedwahine11
11-12-2010, 04:24 AM
Congratulations. Pics please. :)

Skottoman
11-12-2010, 04:28 AM
I also have a KoAloha Concert "2nd". They are great ukes, and true... Very light! Great sound as well. A strong addition to any uke collection.

Of course, pix are required!
Cheers,
Skottoman

dnewton2
11-12-2010, 04:42 AM
Was The MB your first uke?

No it was my 4th I think.

I am at work right now so I am not sure if I can get pics up now. I might be able to, if not it will have to wait until later.

cletus
11-12-2010, 04:44 AM
Can't go wrong on the KoAloha concert.

Wonderful gift, double congrats!

dnewton2
11-12-2010, 04:59 AM
A couple of quick pics for all yall.

The_Oddness_of_It_All
11-12-2010, 05:07 AM
Congrats!! Wow what a great gift!

cletus
11-12-2010, 05:26 AM
A couple of quick pics for all yall.

What kind of 'flaw' made it 2nd? It sure is pretty!

shrink9
11-12-2010, 05:30 AM
Beautiful woodgrain. I know that you will love this uke.

Congratulations on 5 years together (I wish you many more) and your new uke (I wish you many more of those too!!)

Uncle Rod Higuchi
11-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Very beautiful uke.

And what did you get your Bride? It goes both ways, doesn't it?

Many happy years to both of you!

Keep uke'in',

sukie
11-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Happy New Uke Day!

dnewton2
11-12-2010, 06:26 AM
What kind of 'flaw' made it 2nd? It sure is pretty!

I looked it over when I got it and from what I can see, I think it is a spot on the top of the fretboard first fret. It looks like it got slightly filed or something. Besides that I cannot tell what is wrong. I took a picture but it does not show it well.

17577[

DAPuke
11-12-2010, 06:29 AM
A couple of quick pics for all yall. Beautiful! Thanks for the pics,
DAP

Skitzic
11-12-2010, 06:33 AM
Beautiful uke! I'm also curious to know what you got her...

dnewton2
11-12-2010, 07:09 AM
Ok I got this uke as a Anny/birthday/paid for some from uke fund. For her gift today she got a Shadowbox lamp with a Palm tree like these. (http://www.volcanogallery.com/KoaWoodLamp2.htm) not at that price though. And tommorow is her Birthday so she is getting a Coach wallet.

Skitzic
11-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Ok I got this uke as a Anny/birthday/paid for some from uke fund. For her gift today she got a Shadowbox lamp with a Palm tree like these. (http://www.volcanogallery.com/KoaWoodLamp2.htm) not at that price though. And tommorow is her Birthday so she is getting a Coach wallet.

...so...you cheaped out.

I kid, I kid, I'm a kidder. You guys exchange nice gifts.

mds725
11-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Congratulations on the anniversary and the new ukulele! The uke has beautiful grain.

pithaya9
11-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Congrats on your first KoAloha. Even the seconds are perfect.

olgoat52
11-12-2010, 11:50 AM
If I had an MB I'm not sure what I would be looking at for a new Uke. Enjoy the Koaloha. I am still looking for the right strings for mine. So far Aquila and worth Clears. I think the Aquilas were more lively. Looking at Southcoast next or maybe fremonts or Martin.

sukie
11-12-2010, 12:00 PM
If I had an MB I'm not sure what I would be looking at for a new Uke. Enjoy the Koaloha. I am still looking for the right strings for mine. So far Aquila and worth Clears. I think the Aquilas were more lively. Looking at Southcoast next or maybe fremonts or Martin.

Bite your tongue. Worths for the win. Really.

Back on track -- KoAloha concerts really are fabulous.

Interesting you wanted another ukulele after your MB. I'm selling my KoAloha now.

Happy Anniversary to you two.

Lexxy
11-12-2010, 12:16 PM

Interesting you wanted another ukulele after your MB. I'm selling my KoAloha now.

Selling a Koaloha??

sukie
11-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Yes. I have a MB now. The KoAloha is way too nice to be my beater. And I prefer the MB -- in almost every way. AND I actually feel bad about it. I think the KoAlohas are absolutely wonderful. If only they had come with inlay.

olgoat52
11-12-2010, 12:27 PM

For the the Koaloha Pikake concert, I have to disagree. The worths sounds bit plunky. Definitely less ring. They play nice with higher tension but the sound is not there. I am strung re-entrant. Rob F. had it strung low G before.

olgoat52
11-12-2010, 12:28 PM
Yes. I have a MB now. The KoAloha is way too nice to be my beater. And I prefer the MB -- in almost every way. AND I actually feel bad about it. I think the KoAlohas are absolutely wonderful. If only they had come with inlay.

Didn't know you had a Koaloha before. What size did you play before the MB super concert?

misterpk
11-12-2010, 12:53 PM

I'll agree with this. I love the tone of my KoAloha tenor and PS, however they are a little boring on the aesthetics. They are really plain. My wife loves that, but I'd like something with more embellishment. Maybe the answer is to get them to custom build me something... perhaps I'm on to something. :p

dnewton2
11-12-2010, 01:27 PM

Yeah I still love the MB just thought I would like a new uke in the stable. To be honest it is going to be my take (almost) anywhere uke.

waterdog226
11-13-2010, 02:56 AM
I have a Ko'Aloha tenor, and it sounds so rich. Happy days are in your future with your new present.

dkcrown
11-13-2010, 04:16 AM
I have Worth browns on my Pikake concert and think that they are the perfect combo of uke and strings. But, of course, to each his own.

I also have a MB and it is far and away my favorite uke, but still find plenty of time to play my KoAloha concert.

For the the Koaloha Pikake concert, I have to disagree. The worths sounds bit plunky. Definitely less ring. They play nice with higher tension but the sound is not there. I am strung re-entrant. Rob F. had it strung low G before.