Here's an instructional video - great for beginner-intermediate players - classical

Craig

Reaction score
My mentor, Howard Heitmeyer, wrote this for us to use. It sounds like an Aguado or Tárrega piece. Have fun with it!:)

Great video Craig. I might have to work on that right hand myself. I've never been able to do that classical style of assigning one finger per string. It feels very awkard for me.

Great video Craig. I might have to work on that right hand myself. I've never been able to do that classical style of assigning one finger per string. It feels very awkard for me.

I can play single-note lines much faster with a pick (thumb pick like Brittni), but can't seem to use it on a ukulele. When I played guitar, I went from pick to pick plus middle and ring to thumb pick. Hope all else is well!

Great tutorial. I may be able to handle this one day, if I start now. Actually you're a great teacher thanks,
DAP

Great tutorial. I may be able to handle this one day, if I start now. Actually you're a great teacher thanks,
DAP

Ahhh sucks! ;) Thanks for the kind words. I'm thinking about doing more of these.

Great Craig, maybe I'll tackle this after I've managed to get better at playing Craig's Waltz, my favorite track off your excellent cd!

Great Craig, maybe I'll tackle this after I've managed to get better at playing Craig's Waltz, my favorite track off your excellent cd!

Thanks for the kind words! I plan to get two more videos up this weekend. They'll be geared more toward the beginner side. I'm also awaiting word from Hal Leonard (music publisher) to see how much they'll charge me to publish Howard's arrangements of cover tunes. If it's within reach, I'll start posting them, as well.

Thanks again...:)

Great song and great instructional video, you make it look doable.

How did you manage to get your "I need to shred dude" to appear on the thumbnail? BTW, I think that's great advice, sometimes tough to follow.

Great song and great instructional video, you make it look doable.

How did you manage to get your "I need to shred dude" to appear on the thumbnail? BTW, I think that's great advice, sometimes tough to follow.

Thanks Doug! I plan to have a couple more videos up this weekend that are more geared to the beginner than the intermediate players. YouTube allows one to pick ones thumbnail in the edit section.

Last edited:
YouTube allows one to pick ones thumbnail in the edit section.

I've always wondered how YouTube selects which frames to offer as thumbnails -- your Shred Dude appears for not much more than a second out of an eleven minute video. If the selection is random, the chances were just one in 660 you would get it as a choice.

I've always wondered how YouTube selects which frames to offer as thumbnails -- your Shred Dude appears for not much more than a second out of an eleven minute video. If the selection is random, the chances were just one in 660 you would get it as a choice.

I'm so glad there's smart math people like you to help the rest of us!

I'm so glad there's smart math people like you to help the rest of us!

I was just wondering if maybe you had some secret for getting the choice thumbnails. BTW, Shredder Dude is awesome, I want to see him in more of your videos :)

Hey dom, this is something that I learned to do on guitar (even though I still don't really do it well on uke for some reason) But I find that many ukulele players, myself included, play with a hand position which puts the thumb further back (towards the bridge) than the other fingers, which makes this style difficult. What I learned to do with guitar was to completely change my hand position when playing this style so that my thumb was the further forward and so that my hand if placed with fingers out straight was perpenticular to my fretboard. I don't know what hand position you use though, but maybe it will help someone.

Oh and I'm pretty sure it's random, I've uploaded the same video twice before and had completely different thumbnails offered.

Top Bottom