Just got a Tascam DP-008!

lambchop

Reaction score
I have like the nicest brother in the world. He is supportive of my music and got me a Tascam DP-008 8-track digital recorder. I knew he was doing it, but it came today and I already got to try it out myself a bit and it is really intuitive (only looked at the manual for one thing, actually) and the song that I recorded (my kids playing their uncle's vibe and marimba) came out beautifully just using the two internal mics. I was surprised how clean it sounded - amazing. And that was just sticking the recorder halfway between them, no planning or nothing.

I can't wait to try and put a few ideas down on "tape" and, if things go well, maybe do a little EP or something over the next few months.

OK, so I'll report more later as I learn it, but I did not post to brag as much as to say I am so glad this is the 008 and not the 004, as I can tell already that the extra dedicated buttons make it so much simpler to use and having on-board reverb and EQ is going to be nice. I also plan to add bass and drums to many of my tracks, so having the eight tracks will save me from a lot of the bouncing I'd have to do on the 004. of course, I would have been very, very happy with the 004 and I do really like that it has the mid setting for the on-board mics while the 008 for some reason only has high and low.

Elderly Instruments has their Tascam line on sale for the next few days, and you can get one of these for $239 there. No, I do not work for them, but they are my go-to ukulele shop and I do love them. My brother got this one from Amazon, I'll try to get the name of the place, but if you google "Tascam DP-008 amazon" it's the one that comes up for $209 with free shipping - amazing value.

OK, gotta get to sleep, but anyone who has the 004 or 008, feel free to share your thoughts, tips and secrets. Mike

The DP-008 is the best 8-track digital recorder available today. Most of the competing units merge the 5/6 and 7/8 tracks, which really means that they are 4-tracks pretending to be 8-tracks. You have to record on 1-2-3-4 and move the data to the 5-6-7-8 tracks which then gives you poor control of those top tracks and you cannot do a true mix. The DP-008 gives you dedicated controls for all eight tracks and your panning and reverb. Learn to use the panning controls, they will help you keep your music spacially clean.

I love my DP-008 and I recommend you get the AC adapter for it. I bought my adapter at Musician's Friend.

Congrats on an awesome tool. I have the small handheld DR-1. I use it to record my playing and check myself (very humbling). A great learning/teaching tool as well as perfect for cool audio for your videos.

Top Bottom