With God On Our Side

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
The early Dylan catalog I always felt is timeless. The folk roots are so permanently entwined in our culture that the music still speaks to the heart. I really liked your rendition, Ken, and I think it does justice to the original intent of the Guthries, Dylans and all the folksingers who took up the torch of the folk movement. Well done.

BTW, as you were channeling Dylan you seemed to have misplaced that lovely English accent of yours.:D

P.S. Are you strung High G?

Last edited:
I've always liked this Dylan song. The sentiments seem to me to be a little dated now. What do you think?

Great job on a beautiful song! And in the mood I am in right now, I found the lyrics somewhat ironic.

I try (but don't always succeed) to sing in a way that gives meaning to the words and it is sometimes hard to do with an English accent. I don't try to copy the original singer or put on an American accent. It comes out the way it does because that just feels right. I also always try and get it in one take, so sometimes the words are not that clear.

I use high G on all my ukes. I feel that low G makes it sound a bit too much like a small guitar. I really like the traditional ukulele sound.

KEN

The early Dylan catalog I always felt is timeless. The folk roots are so permanently entwined in our culture that the music still speaks to the heart. I really liked your rendition, Ken, and I think it does justice to the original intent of the Guthries, Dylans and all the folksingers who took up the torch of the folk movement. Well done.

BTW, as you were channeling Dylan you seemed to have misplaced that lovely English accent of yours.:D

P.S. Are you strung High G?

It comes out the way it does because that just feels right. I also always try and get it in one take, so sometimes the words are not that clear.
Well, it came out just right. Many times I've listened to early live Dylan songs and they too have their imperfections, but that just adds to the impact and immediacy of the performance and ultimately the sentiment behind the words.

Another OT question, Ken. Do you still own the Kiwaya KTS-4?

Yes, I still have the Kiwaya. I like it very much, it is a really well-made soprano. Unfortunately, I have the wrong strings on it (Aquila) and I haven't got round to changing them yet. I also prefer the sound of the concert and tenor ukes, so I don't use it too much. Why do you ask?

KEN

Well, it came out just right. Many times I've listened to early live Dylan songs and they too have their imperfections, but that just adds to the impact and immediacy of the performance and ultimately the sentiment behind the words.

Another OT question, Ken. Do you still own the Kiwaya KTS-4?

They are a great instrument: very light, beautifully made, incredibly loud, etc. But, they are expensive. You can buy an Hawaiian instrument for very little more. If I could only have one, it would be a Kanile'a concert.

If you like mahogany sopranos though, this is the one to go for.

Hope this helps you.

KEN

I've been considering one. I've read nothing but positive reviews and I'm drawn to the Martin template.

Top Bottom