I can't get a normal feeling strum

MiniMoose

Reaction score
Well I just went out today and bought a Ukulele and this is my first experience with playing an instrument. Ive been trying to teach myself with online resources and some help from friends (all of whom play guitar not uke)

So Ive read through a lot of posts about strumming, where people say they want to learn to strum a certain way and the general consensus is "if it feels/sounds right for you it is right" but I just can't get the feel down for strumming. Either I hit one string wicked loud and the other three barely get touched, or I just skim all four barely making a sound. I've been mostly trying to strum with the sides of my middle finger, but also tried the side of my thumb. The nail/front of the index seems really awkward. Any good advice/resources for just plain strumming?

Aloha Mini Moose,
Welcome to the UU and the Forums...and congrats on your new purchase of your Ukulele...to answer you question about strumming, The way I show others how to start is
to put your index finger of the top string closest to your chin(G string) and slowly drag your fngers evenly across the strings....that is your down stroke, for your upstroke
put your finger on the upstroke A string and drag your finger across the strings evenly slowly up...as you get better increase the speed slowly!!!! put your fingernail on the string to start.
You can check out musicteacher2010 and Keonepax for some awesome video tutorials and Dr uke for songs and instruction....Have Fun and enjoy the forums and your ukulele.
Happy Strummings...Let us know how you doing...MM Stan

Last edited:
You'll need to give it a few days for the feel to come. Plenty of practice, take it slow slow slow, when you start muffing up, take a break and do something else for a while, 30 mins or so and start again slow slow slow....dont keep going when you're muffing up, take a break, repeat, you'll be able to pick up speed soon enough, but it always takes time for the brain to get accustomed to new things....surprisingly after a good night's sleep things have settled in a bit more....hope this helps! Patience, lol

Cheers

Well I just went out today and bought a Ukulele and this is my first experience with playing an instrument.
Dang MiniMoose, you so crazy, I've heard people say the uke is easy but come on...your first day not only playing a uke but not having any musical experience, have patience with yourself and your new best friend. Take your time slowly (per mm stan's instructions) with a couple foundational things;holding and strumming, and you'll be jamming your favorite songs before you can say, "Israel Kamakawiwo'ole" :)

Dang MiniMoose, you so crazy, I've heard people say the uke is easy but come on...your first day not only playing a uke but not having any musical experience, have patience with yourself and your new best friend.

I know it's gonna take some time, but I just feels wicked awkward and clunky and was wondering what I could be doing better. The best noise I can seem to get is by flicking the bottom side of my thumb, but I can tell that's not going to feel the best when trying to do a quick strum later on.

I think it takes a lot of experimenting to find out what you're comfortable with, then once you get comfortable you continue to find ways to progress. I've just recently started trying to reteach my self to finger pick with 4 fingers instead of two fingers and it feels really awkward. Although I can pick pretty well with my index finger and thumb, I know in order to progress I would be better off picking with all four fingers.

You should look forward to improving an element every time you pick up the uke, regardless how small it is. it can be trying to strum without making a mistake or try to strum each time more clearer. any how that is the beauty of the uke is you can never be to perfect.

Top Bottom