Kiwaya Solid vs Laminate

annod

Reaction score
Hi all,
I wonder if anyone has directly compared the same scale ukes in the Kiwaya Eco (laminate) and Arists (solid) lines?

Does the solid really sound better than the laminates?

I tried the laminated Kiwayas at local stores and I was surprised at how good they sound. They sound better than some of the other solid wood imports there. So that's good news if their solid wood line sound even better. (bad news for my UAS)

-D

I have a Kiwaya ks1. I love it for what it is - a high grade laminate. It has great action and perfect intonation. Sounds great with worth clears. I don't need to baby it and its a great take everywhere uke. What it lacks is the sustain I get from my solid wood ukes. I would like to someday get a solid wood Kiwaya, but would still keep the laminate as a really good travel uke.

In my limited experience the two laminates I have (Lanikai & Flea) have lovely sounds, but my solid Koa is a lot prettier and yes, the sound vibrates and I guess you would call it sustains, much better. My wood has a fuller sound.

Rox

Yup, they lack the deep warm sounds, resonation and substain...but laminates are not bad either too...brighter, boils down to personal preference..."Try before Buy" can't stress that enough!!!

Last edited:
I have a KS-1 and it resonates better than most solid sopranos. Go for it!

I had a Kiwaya KS5 laminate and currently own a KTS7 solid. Both sound great, I wish I hadn't sold the KS5 it was a fantastic uke. There is a difference, but not as much as you would expect. The KTS7 is definitely 'thicker sounding' but the KS5 had a bit more sustain and still didnt sound thin like some ukes do. The laminates have a slightly larger body shape than the solids in thier range, I guess to give them a bit of extra punch. Great uke though Kiwaya. You really cant go wrong with one.
Oh and the KS5 is very loud too.
Also check out the Anuenue ukuleles. The solid mahogany soprano is a fantastic sounding ukulele and can be got for not much more than one of Kiwaya's laminates if that kind if thing is important to you. Also comes with a very cool gig bag!

Thanks for the replies. for some reason, it is easier to find Kiwayas (laminated ones) to try out here than the Anuenue.

Hi all,
I wonder if anyone has directly compared the same scale ukes in the Kiwaya Eco (laminate) and Arists (solid) lines?

Does the solid really sound better than the laminates?

I tried the laminated Kiwayas at local stores and I was surprised at how good they sound. They sound better than some of the other solid wood imports there. So that's good news if their solid wood line sound even better. (bad news for my UAS)

-D

I repped Kiwaya USA at the tampa Bay uke fest. Demoing both solid and laminate models, most didn't realise the lams were lams until I explained. The reasons they sound so good are- 1 they use a very thin accoustic composite . 2 they use a glue specific to Kiwaya thats not too weighty 3 the veneer is very thin as well. In Japan Kiwaya sells the Eco model more than all others I was told. Now to the solids-Wow! KTS-4 is as lite as air with perfect intonation and A-1 craftsmanship. Most think it's the closest thing to a vintage Martin but without being so fragile. Another wonderful thing Kiwaya makes are Freemont strings.
Soon Kiwaya USA will have the Paulele bamboo sopranos in. We love those too.

Top Bottom