Playing For Birds

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
We went down to the local park and played in the November sun, just a beautiful day in SC. They have some Exotic birds on display. All day long they were, squawking and squealing and so I decided to play the uke for them. It was funny, they were fascinated with it. When I would stop playing they would just sit there silent waiting and looking at me. They would follow me around staring at me silently as I played.

When I put my uke in it’s gig bag to leave they started talking, saying “goodbye”, making cat calls , asking “what’s your name?”, yelling “pretty girl” at my wife. I guess the different sounds from the uke inspired them to talk. It was a very different experience.

birds1.jpg

birds2.jpg

birds3.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you may have a regular gig! :)

I've heard of playing for peanuts before, but not for birds...

My band had a regular this over the summer at the San Diego Zoo, and everytime we started a set, as if on cue, this peacock would let out one of those piercing shrieks they're famous for. In our case, it helped the overall sound!

Hey Ric, one brought me a dice it had for a toy, does that count?

Last edited:
Aloha ukuleleblues,
I'm not sure where we got that old term..Playing is for the birds"...he he ...but they must have been intrigued by your playing....your may well have a regular gig there and a new audience.....thanks for sharing
your story and experience...Have fun and enjoy!!!!Happy strummings....MM Stan...

Top Bottom