Funky Pink Rosewood

Vic D

Reaction score
I've got about 40 fretboards left out of this funky pink rosewood I bought off ebay and I haven't seen as much of it on ebay lately and it's getting more expensive. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I think they called it Honduras Rosewood. OK yep, that's what they called it. I kinda like the look of it and the tap tone... and it wasn't too expensive. Is the stuff becoming rare? Who likes it, who doesn't and why or why not?

Also, who likes ebonized persimmon for fretboards.

Hey Vic, I've been using Honduran rosewood for fretboards for some time now and it is getting harder to find. The wood I have is not pink though, it is a medium brown with dark brown streaks.

Brad

Hey Vic, I've been using Honduran rosewood for fretboards for some time now and it is getting harder to find. The wood I have is not pink though, it is a medium brown with dark brown streaks.

Brad

That's one of the reasons I asked. Honduran rosewood on eBay, some of it looks medium with dark streaks and some looks kinda pink like the stuff I got. Posting a photo of it, got some fresh cut downstairs which looks pinker but it's too late to be climbing those creaky little steps.

What you have there does look a lot like a piece of honduran rosewood we have. I love the different colors of rosewood and tulipwood. BTW our tulipwood is even lighter and pinker than that.

Looks like HR to me. I've got lots of sets of it. The new growth stuff is the light pink, old growth can come very dark. They all have a very glassy tap tone. One of my next projects is to build an HR soprano. I think it will be a little ripper.

Hey Vic, havent worked with HR before but I picked up some pink ivorywood last month to make into some fingerboards and bridges. Really dense, virtually no grain and a rich pink colour. Has anyone tried working with it before?

I've used it for bridges, and it's part of the inlay in my logo. It works a bit like aluminium. And burns very easy from a dull blade.

I used pink ivory for a Guitar back and sides, hard to thickness, but bends easy!
also used it for uke fingerboards and bridges..
Impressive colour though!

Excellent info all. I did suspect the color had to do with the growth. The tulipwood and pink ivory are definitely on my list. Thanks y'all!

Top Bottom