Song Help Request d9sus2???

easy peasy lemon squeezy

2 4 2 7

Last edited:
how to play a d9sus2 on the uke?

Hi DreadPirateMegan

An easy form is to play 2 2 0 0. The D chord is 2 2 2 0, and you are adding E note to the chord which acts as "2" (or "9") since D is the root, aka, "1" note.

It is a bit strange to a write a chord as D9sus2, however. The convention is that the "D9th chord" spells D F# A )the triad) + C (7th) + E (9th). "Dsus2" is similar, but when the name says "sus", the third in the triad is not to be included and there is no 7th either so the spelling is D E A, that is root + sus2 + 5th. The proper notation depends on the context, and I don't know the song so I can only guess but it's probably Dsus2. It doesn't matter much since on ukulele, we rarely play the full chord. Here the "key" is to include the E note into D chord.

If you want to really stress the E note, SpookeFoote's chord form is the way to go. I can't stretch my hand like that, myself.

Cheers
Chief

Anyone have any ideas how to play a d9sus2 on the uke?

I'm working on Here I Dreamt I Was an Architect by the Decemberists. Found the chords here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/decemberists/here_i_dreamt_i_was_an_architect_crd.htm

Yeah, I wouldn't really call that chord a D9sus2. Whomever came up with that tab did spell out how to play the chord on guitar: 5 0 0 3 0

Assuming that's supposed to be the top five strings, that works out to D D G D E, which sounds like it might be what they're actually playing in the song. Don't know what you'd call that, but it's not a D9sus2. A D9sus2 would have a C and an A, which this chord lacks, plus it leaves out that crucial G note (which a D9sus4 would have, incidentally).

Anyhoo... on the uke I'd probably play the song by alternating between the Cmaj7 (0002) and something like 0205 for the Dwhatever chord.

JJ

Top Bottom