Sorry For My Latest Video

GaryC1968

Reaction score
I would like to apologize to all who were offended by my latest video posting. I didn't realize how offensive the song was. I have removed the video from my YouTube page and requested the thread for this be removed, as well. Again, I'm sorry for offending anyone on this board. UU is such a great place and I don't want to do anything that would make it less accepting.

Gary

I'm not sure if you were intending on this thread to be commented on, but I have a few things I feel need to be said.

I am not a religious man, nor am I disbelieving or discounting anyone elses beliefs. But I wouldn't say that I thought your song was racist in any way, it was a thought put forward "What if.." Putting myself in your shoes, if this was my song, my intention would be to make people think, to make people take a moment to look at something in another way, if this was your goal then I think the problem could be simply that it could use more work. I think your goal was goal was misinterpreted simply because you are not a master musician and lyricist (is that a word?) And I would challenge many people here to create a song about hitler that didn't offend at least 1 person. So by this I mean that there is a very, very fine line for these types of songs, and a LOT of work has to be put in to make sure that every little detail and element cannot be misinterpreted.

Also, I try not to judge people based on internet experiences, this is the same for email, or facebook, or whatever. This is all too vague and it is only a very small piece of the person that you are speaking of, the human interaction and connection is not there as it is in person. I don't think you are a bad person, but I would probably not play the song for people again until you have really worked at it, and maybe put forth an explanation of your intentions so that people may help you with constructive criticisms.

I would like to apologize to all who were offended by my latest video posting. I didn't realize how offensive the song was. I have removed the video from my YouTube page and requested the thread for this be removed, as well. Again, I'm sorry for offending anyone on this board. UU is such a great place and I don't want to do anything that would make it less accepting.

Gary

I just saw the original thread and I'm not going to lie. I wanted to hear the song. Of course it was already removed so I missed out on it. I play what if an awful lot with my students as well as others. I'm a little bummed. Hopefully it was a good song that people just failed to give a chance.

One of the reasons I prefer UU over some other ukulele-related forums is the general good will and camaraderie here. We don't descend into heated political, religious or sexual debate. Those debates can be fun, but are usually contentious, confrontational and lead to many personal attacks. I applaud the moderators for keeping this forum free of such verbal brawls.

There are a lot of people with strong religious beliefs online. There are some here, you obviously among them. Fine. But having faith isn't a licence to proselytize, especially when it spreads a message of hatred. If you don't think that's what it was, then you need to seriously re-educate yourself about the Holocaust. Faith is not an excuse for ignorance.

One person's faith, no matter how strong it may be, is not necessarily shared by others. One person's "truth" may be fallacy to another. The best way to maintain harmony here is to avoid faith-based issues so we don't have a platform for such disagreements. Give everyone the same level of respect, regardless of whether they share your faith or not.

Thank you for removing the video and helping keep the peace.

Top Bottom