Agh! Why did I cut my nails?

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
So this morning, I was tired of having my right hand nails catch onto things (I was afraid of it pulling or breaking) so I figured, what the heck, I used to play with short nails on both hands, this isn't worth it. So I pulled out the clippers and trimmed all the nails on my right hand.

Yay! No more catching on things or fear of breakage.

Noooooo! I picked up my uke to play my current song of choice ("Christmas Time Is Here", aka the Charlie Brown Christmas song) and it sounded so different. Where the note picking had been crystal clear with my Worth Clear CH strings, now it sounded muted and soft. Grr. Argh.

So now I'm searching in vain for sweet spots to hit the strings to get some of that volume/tone back. I contemplated putting on some acrylics but ruled it out and now I'll just suck it up for the few weeks until they grow back. Sigh. What a bonehead move. :(

Use a file. Don't use clippers.

Good grief, Wick!!! I'm the kind of blockhead who can't stand long fingernails, especially since my job involves a lot of computer work, and the clickety click on the keyboard drives me batty. One question, though: why did you rule out acrylics? Sounds like a sensible and durable way to go.

hi wickedwahine

for what it's worth, I know exactly what you mean...I just cut my right hand fingernails on Friday morning and then went in to work for my regular diversional therapy shift, with our elderly residents at the nursing home...talk about feel clumsy and unco-ordinated..I kept missing the strings when I was pickin' and the volume was so much quieter...had to apologise several times for making mistakes...felt real silly, but I had no idea how much I relied on the nails being long!!!

One question, though: why did you rule out acrylics? Sounds like a sensible and durable way to go.

Just because I didn't want to commit to doing it. My mom used to wear long acrylic nails and she once told me they really messed up her real nails after a while, they got very weak. I figured I would just suck it up until my nails grew back.

talk about feel clumsy and unco-ordinated..I kept missing the strings when I was pickin' and the volume was so much quieter...had to apologise several times for making mistakes...felt real silly, but I had no idea how much I relied on the nails being long!!!

Exactly! I thought I was crazy but it was so noticeably quieter and I did hit the wrong strings a couple of times, I didn't know it but I relied it on them too!

Long nails are a real pain, IMO. I've been using aLaska piks.

http://www.alaskapik.com/

(Just FYI - I neither make nor sell these things)

Thanks for the tip, I think I'll order a set to try. :)

Use a file. Don't use clippers.

Point taken...

They'll grow back quicker than you think. I've done the same thing several times.

Thanks, I've been cursing myself all day. I trust you are right and I will be picking again soon -- maybe with those aLaska Piks in the interim.

Thanks guys for the tips and encouragement and commiseration.

I don't know if it's true, but tapping your nails is supposed to help growth.

There is absolutely no chance of me growing fingernails. I just hate snagging them.
Those alaskapiks are intriguing, though. I may have to invest and experiment. Thanks for the heads up!

I tried the alaska piks for guitar - you need to have a decent amount of nail to secure the picks anyway. They work by sliding under your nail

There is absolutely no chance of me growing fingernails. I just hate snagging them.
Those alaskapiks are intriguing, though. I may have to invest and experiment. Thanks for the heads up!

I thought the same thing, but the sound and feel and control is unbeatable

Aloha wicked wahine11,
I think it's a big difference with the shorter nails....I like them long for strumming and a little shorter of picking...better control..
Definetly lose some volume with shorter nails...When cutting them, I nip a little off slowly and follow off with an emory board.....
I too hate when I foul up and trim them to short. Sometimes I level off the part of the nail I attack the strings for a different sound too.
with theemory board or file...I hope it helps!! Good Luck!! Have Fun and Enjoy!! Happy Strummings, MM Stan..

I saw Jake Shimabukuro in concert 2 weeks ago and met him in the lobby afterwards. I asked him to show me his nails, and believe it or not, they were short, except for the right thumb nail that reached 2 mm over the flesh. He told me that with short nails he can do more variation to the sound. He uses the fleshy side for a softer tone, and the side with the nails for a harder tone. He kept the thumb nail to do the tremolo.

I cut my nails short the very next day:D

With Jake I imagine it really doesn't matter what length his nails are. with his talent he can probably outplay all of us with his toes!! I have trouble keeping my nails any decent length for any decent time frame. No matter how hard I try, they split, snag, or whatever. The Alaska pics might be worth a try. I think I could keep my nails long enough to catch them. Maybe. Lozark

Ugh I know what you guys mean! Long nails don't last that long with me.. they are always getting in my way. But then when I play uke I like the crispness you can get with nails. It's a small price to pay I suppose.

When I was younger, I played a lot of basketball. So you had to have your nails trimmed short. I just got used to finger picking guitar without long nails and I never could use finger picks.

When I started plying the ukulele, I didn't know any better. It may not quite as bright, when finger picking, but it is not so muted as to not have a nice ring and it has a fuller sound; the volume seems fine. When I strum I use the back of my nail or thumb or side of my finger to vary the tone.

John

I had long nails for years but cut them about a year ago for a lark. Now, I'd never go back. Low maintenance double rainbow all the way now.

Here are the aLaska Piks

As you can see, I need just a bit more thumbnail length, altho this works. I'm not pushing these, I don't think everyone will like them. They feel odd, and I've snagged the thumb pik whilst strumming vigorously - it flies away with a strange "twang" sound. I'm getting better w/practice. I have thin fingers, and use large on the thumb and medium on the finger(s). You trim or file these just like nails - tho one must be careful as they will not grow back!
View attachment 17698View attachment 17699View attachment 17700

I keep my nails short because I play the piano and type a lot, but I do always get a little sad right after I have trimmed my nails, as my ukulele playing consequently becomes more muted. I had a dilemma this weekend: my nails were getting too long for comfort, but my band would be playing in less than a week. I knew that if I waited, the nails would become cumbersome, but if I cut the nails, my playing would get softer. I finally gritted my teeth and cut the nails. With luck, they'll be just long enough by Friday.

Long nails are a real pain, IMO. I've been using aLaska piks.

http://www.alaskapik.com/

(Just FYI - I neither make nor sell these things)

I just wanted to update...I got a few of these last night and it made a world of difference. I still prefer my natural nails (just because it is more comfortable than wearing these) but they really replicated the clarity and volume of fingernails. Thanks a lot for the tip, I really appreciate it and I'll keep a few in my case for when my nails are short (or break).

Thanks a lot Ingrate. :)

Top Bottom