Our ukulele festival made the news!

Great coverage, and you represented the ukulele very well. My only nit is the reporter's statement that the ukulele is "easy." One can learn to play a two-chord song quickly, but what Jake Shimabukuro does is hardly easy. I'd much prefer the word "accessible" to "easy." (I tell people that unlike instruments such as the clarinet (which I played for years in school) or the violin, the ukulele is fun to play even if you don't play it well.) By the way, was that Gerald Ross playing at the end of the report?

Aloha Bruddah Steve,
Thanks for sharing, I think the big success is because of you...Good job Buddy...wish I could be there...MM Stan...

good stuff!

Great coverage, and you represented the ukulele very well. My only nit is the reporter's statement that the ukulele is "easy." One can learn to play a two-chord song quickly, but what Jake Shimabukuro does is hardly easy. I'd much prefer the word "accessible" to "easy." (I tell people that unlike instruments such as the clarinet (which I played for years in school) or the violin, the ukulele is fun to play even if you don't play it well.) By the way, was that Gerald Ross playing at the end of the report?

Yes that's Gerald Ross playing his song "Ukulele Stomp" on an Eleuke from Mim's table. You can also see Victoiria Vox and Fred Fallin conducting workshops and while Gerald is playing you can see JT_Ukes and Craig Robertson in the background. I agree about the reporters comments. You can also ctach a glimpse of Donna LoPrinzi and Mike from Uke Republic. I appreciate Bay News 9 covering our event and taking the time to edit the footage for a nice feature, but when the ukulele makes the news they all seem to say the same thing: "Uke making comeback...popular during the depression...Tiny Tim...easy to play...sounds happy, etc.". At least they didn't mention "Hey Soul Sister" :)

- Steve

Top Bottom