Concert strings on a Kelii soprano

Tred

Reaction score
I asked MGM whether Aquilla concerts would be too much for my Kelii soprano and he suggested I go with Koolaus, which are in the post. Aquilla soprano's didn't balance with the the C string overpowering and the Martins I have on now and pretty ordinary. I am new to uke's and am used to playing guitar strung with 13 to 58's. I like a string to fight back a little but am weary about putting too much tension on the bridge of the Kelii.
What would be the lowest tension concerts whilst still maintaining string diameter?
Cheers
Tred

I asked MGM whether Aquilla concerts would be too much for my Kelii soprano and he suggested I go with Koolaus, which are in the post. Aquilla soprano's didn't balance with the the C string overpowering and the Martins I have on now and pretty ordinary. I am new to uke's and am used to playing guitar strung with 13 to 58's. I like a string to fight back a little but am weary about putting too much tension on the bridge of the Kelii.
What would be the lowest tension concerts whilst still maintaining string diameter?
Cheers
Tred
Aloha Tred,
The thinner the string usually the lower the tension, worth has he clear lights...
Just as in guitar, the slinker the strings, improves the playability...
If you like lower tension too, drop it a half step if you play by yourself....
I hope it helps..Good Luck! MM Stan..

I use concert strings on all my sopranos except the old vintage ones, in fact many brands like Worth and Freemont are labeled soprano/concert. I do use the Worth light on my old ukes and they work well. I'd recommend trying several different string and see which give you what you're looking for, they are relatively cheap and can make quite a difference. MGM has some sampler string packages that are very reasonably priced.

Personally, I've never had a problem with Aquila C's "overpowering" the other strings. Sure, it's thicker and boomier, maybe, but the higher strings have no touble cutting thru. I sometimes hear people complain about low G's overpowering the other strings (Worth browns, for example), again, not a bad thing to me, but I've never heard about Aquila C's being so domineering. Anybody else have that problem, cuz this one's a head-scratcher to me?

Cheers
Tred

Some Fluoro's I like on Kelii's are Freemont med black and Orca's black. Not too much tension there but then again Aquila's work for me too. Haven't put Ko'olau golds on yet to hear but they would probably sound good.

Thanks guys - Still playing and a couple of sets of Koolau Alohi concerts arrived today. They are as bright and as loud as the Aquilla's and I suspect roughly the same tension - the best to date. I have Koolau concert Golds coming and an MGM selection concert pack. I had better get some Worths too. This is going to take some time!
Cheers
Tred

Top Bottom