What I'm working on at the moment - rosewood & cedar

tinguitar

Reaction score
In-progress: soprano in rosewood/cedar.

Western red cedar top
P1070090.jpg

The rosewood has some wacky colours through it - I think it might have been on the way towards spalting...?
P1070091.jpg

Ebony fretboard & head veneer - hopefully the ebony will look less "stark" once it's got the frets & tuners installed.
P1070100.jpg

The only reason for the ebony on the head is that I dropped an ebony fretboard blank and broke the corner off. So I salvaged it as a bookmatched ebony veneer...

Pearl dots to front; 1.5mm cream plastic dots to side. The neck is cedrela I bought from Pete Howlett (thanks Pete!)
P1070101.JPG

My hopes are high for what this one will sound like...

I love the look of that rosewood.

Rob - I think the contrast between the light cedar and the ebony is spot on and not in any way stark. In fact the very light coloured cherry (bought from you earlier in the year!) pineapple I'm building has ebony end graft, heel cap and will be getting an ebony fingerboard and head plate veneer! I tried once on a past project to use ebony binding but I couldn't bend the stuff without it breaking - maybe it'd have been easier in a fox bender rather than on the hot pipe.

Looks great so far - a lot like the rosewood/cedar pineapple we're making right now.

Are you planning to put binding around the top? If so, what kind?

Hi - thanks for the positive feedback. There is a single-ply mahogany binding around the top. Purely functional, to protect the soft edge of the cedar. You can just about see it in the fourth picture.

I didn't bind the back edge as I didn't feel the rosewood needed it.

Aloha Rob,
Nice straight grain red cedar top and awesome killer rosewood colors...keep us in the loop with your progress!! thanks for sharing...MM Stan..

Heh. I am since this summer the very proud owner of a similar soprano from Rob (welcome here btw Rob). It is a very very nice uke. Can be as loud as I want it, but has a very balanced and rich sound when I play it softly. I got used to the fat frets after an hour. And it made me buy rosewood for back and sides.

Sven

Strung it up for the first time last night and it sounds bloomin lovely...
P1070245b.JPG

P1070247b.JPG

P1070251b.JPG

P1070252b.JPG

I'm jealous. It's a beautiful uke with a beautiful tone. And it looks to be made to last. I bet the sound will open up quite a bit as the years go by. Ain't she sweet.

Hi! Rob,
that uke sounds great. It looks very nice too.

man...I am so jealous...I wonder when I can build one that sounds this great.

haha...

Top Bottom