Super Concert: Uke of choice?

iDavid

Reaction score
Do any of you guys use a Super Concert as your main uke. I love the idea a smaller bodied uke with the tenor scale, but I wonder about neck drives and such.

Also, do you find the sound to be much different than a standard concert of the same make?

I have recently started using a super concert. Since it's a custom I don't know how it sounds against a regular concert -- or a tenor for that matter. The frets spacing seems huge for the first 4 frets but I'm getting used to it. But since I am on path to learn how to really play the ukulele -- not just strum -- I wanted more frets. We'll see how it works.

I'd prefer the super soprano....just don't like streching the fingers that much.....

++ to this for me. I've been going on a spree of uke purchases / test drives lately, and I've found the super/longneck soprano just feels right to me. Right size neck, right sound from the body.

My favorite uke is my super concert, I like the sound better, but the most important thing is the way the uke fits. A soprano is just too tight for my fingers, a tenor is nice...but the body size is more than I want. A concert has the right size body for me, but the neck is just slightly more roomy than a soprano. I own every size uke but a sopranino, so yeah my UAS has moved me to a superconcert as my uke of choice. Now that being said, I think every uke is special and has it's own place in the Cosmos...this is just my preference. *Hint* try your superconcert in low G tuning!(Ukegasmic!!):cool:

I absolutely love the KoAloha Super-Concert. It has amazing, silky, sexy tone. It is very smooth.

I also agree. Mine hasn't seen much play recently, but every time I pick it up, it impresses me. The tone is that wonderful concert tone, bright and almost iconic ukulele tone, with some texture that you can't get with the tenor sizes. But you get that extra fretboard space which is sweet.

KoAloha long neck soprano and concert pineapple styles tweak my UAS nipples.

My favorite scale is probably the 16" long-scale concert. I've come to prefer the concert scale length in general but the extra inch on my long-scale concert still feels like a concert while providing just enough extra spacing for the higher frets to make it feel less cramped than a standard concert scale. The scale length probably matters more to me than body size though, so I didn't actually get any super-concerts while I was going through my tenor phase.

For what it is worth, there is a KoAloha super concert on e-bay with a crown bridge.
It's is not mine, nor do I know anything about it.

Southcoast - The Best of the Long Scale Concerts!!

Think there might be just a little prejudice in the title to this thread reply? Ooooohhh - perish the thought!!

Well, while the page on our instrument talks about the unique aspects of the Southcoast Concert, it also has more than a little bit of a discussion on the contrasts between a long scale and a standard concert - basics that apply to anyone's instruments.

So - david (and anybody else), if you're interested in some of the differences not touched on here so far, this page will be a "good read".

http://www.southcoastukes.com/index_files/concertuke.htm

Top Bottom