Uke setup sequence

olgoat52

Reaction score
What sequence do you use when setting a uke up?

I use the same sequence I use on guitars which is.

1) adjust Saddle height for action at the 12th
2) fret file if necessary and dress and polish frets.
3) Adjust nut slots as low as possible by fretting at the 3rd and measuring clearance between top of 1st fret and string. Take nut height down to expose top third of string. (top half for steel strings on guitars)

Seems a lot of the posts go after the saddle last.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I think it is better to level and dress the frets first, then do the nut and the saddle last. My reasoning is; all of the action measurements are taken from the top of the frets, so you do them first. The nut depth is determined by the first three frets only, so I do that next and a large change in the nut depth can have an effect on the overall action height. Then I set the action height at the 12th fret.

Brad

I start with the frets and fingerboard first, followed by the nut, and finish with the saddle last. That way I don't have to go back and redo anything if I have done it right the first time.

"fretting at the 3rd and measuring clearance between top of 1st fret and string" what clearance are you looking for here?

"adjust Saddle height for action at the 12th" what do you set the action to here? I know it is a matter of personal preferrance, but just curious what the average is?

Top Bottom