78.8 KB · Views: 50
  • B8VfBQQ2kKGrHqJksEyjCvweJBM2vrzikgQ_3.JPG
    B8VfBQQ2kKGrHqJksEyjCvweJBM2vrzikgQ_3.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 49
  • B8Ve6TQCWkKGrHqVlcEyjC129nBM2vrnjM_3.JPG
    B8Ve6TQCWkKGrHqVlcEyjC129nBM2vrnjM_3.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Oh er... now I don't know what to think. Didn't spot the nice rosette and binding until now.

Oh er... now I don't know what to think. Didn't spot the nice rosette and binding until now.

The binding is seperate from the soundboard so can be saved. The rosette not so easily.

I am confused. The first and last photo show a cut across the sound board (perpendicular to the strings) but the middle photo doesn't appear to show a cut or crack. ??

I am confused. The first and last photo show a cut across the sound board (perpendicular to the strings) but the middle photo doesn't appear to show a cut or crack. ??

Sorry lol. That's the bit of wood that has come off being placed back on there, to show how much original wood is there. The remainder will have to be replaced.

Sorry lol. That's the bit of wood that has come off being placed back on there, to show how much original wood is there. The remainder will have to be replaced.

Ok. Weird. I cannot see the joint below the sound hole when you put the piece back in. Must be camera angle. Did make the cut from waist to waist or was it already cut when you bought the piece?

Ok. Weird. I cannot see the joint below the sound hole when you put the piece back in. Must be camera angle. Did make the cut from waist to waist or was it already cut when you bought the piece?

Already damaged when I bought it.

I guess anything can be fixed, but I would do a new top. There's just too much damage to fix and not look like Frankenstein.
Just save that rosette for the new top!! It must have been a pretty little thing before someone sat on it

I'd go for the new top. The cracks with the grain are fairly straight forward, but the break across the grain at the lower transverse brace is just going to give you nothing but grief. Save what you can. It's going to be a really good exercise in restoration.

Top Bottom