Yes, but is it Art?

ukecantdothat

Reaction score
I came across the remnants of my nearly (sic) departed Lehua longneck soprano yesterday, so I glued it all to what used to be the base of my homemade uke stand (now an Ukulazy Susan...) Then I hung it on my office wall, next to my revolving rack o' ukes and called it "Art" with a capital "A." I can do that. I have a degree in capital "A" Art. I call it "nearly" departed because, as shown, the neck is now part of a cigar box uke (also suitable for hanging - or in this case - spinning...).

Lehua Art 1.jpgLehua Art 2.jpg

I like it "nearly" enough! Thanks.

No sound hole on your cigar box?

Also, as for the art, it's definitely influenced by the early neo-deconstructionism works, yet shows some definite originality, with the black backplate obviously representing the depths of the soul, and the absence of the neck piece being a statement on the current trend of materialism. Despite some ill-conceived restraint, reflecting on the the artists still-developing sense of space and lighting, I predict stunning things to come in future works.

(Do not attempt to any of the above seriously... except the question about the sound hole. )

Last edited:
I came across the remnants of my nearly (sic) departed Lehua longneck soprano yesterday, so I glued it all to what used to be the base of my homemade uke stand (now an Ukulazy Susan...) Then I hung it on my office wall, next to my revolving rack o' ukes and called it "Art" with a capital "A." I can do that. I have a degree in capital "A" Art. I call it "nearly" departed because, as shown, the neck is now part of a cigar box uke (also suitable for hanging - or in this case - spinning...).

View attachment 17716View attachment 17717

So what arrangement or chord were you working right before the Lehua took on this form??

Also, as for the art, it's definitely influenced by the early neo-deconstructionism works, yet shows some definite originality, with the black backplate obviously representing the depths of the soul, and the absence of the neck piece being a statement on the current trend of materialism. Despite some ill-conceived restraint, reflecting on the the artists still-developing sense of space and lighting, I predict stunning things to come in future works.

(Do not attempt to any of the above seriously... except the question about the sound hole. )

First of all, you have analized the piece perfectly. You must have taken a course in deconstructing neo-deconstructionist Art. Secondly, there is no sound hole at the moment, as I am digging the quiet semi-solid sound - great for late night strummage. I suppose I could cut a hole and then stick a cork in it (like I've been told to do so many times before...) and achieve the same results. The box panels are 1/4" thick so there's not much rezo going on anyway, and I'm not in the mood to plane it down to get it to "speak" properly. If I do open it up, I'll probably put the hole on top left side so I can hear it better, and it won't mess up the front.

it is.. In fact, put it on Ebay as UkeArt, and I bet you get more than you paid for the Uke originally.

Was it accidental damage or have you shaped it to look like damage in order to highlight an aspect of the human condition or an injustice or the wonder of the universe? Have you written a song about it? More importantly is it a reaction to a Picasso painting?
If you would like it to be more art like, take it out of your office and hang it in your exhibition space or a gallery. My understanding is that artists don't have offices, they have studios, and only art critics, gallery owners, accountants and collectors inhabit offices.

Wait... Did I say "office?" I meant to say "Gallery." In answer to your questions:

1) It was a "happy" accident that resulted in this uke's elevation to High Art / CBU status. People 'round here are well sick of hearing the story, so to abbreviate: Lehua in gig bag + weight of Toyota 4Runner = Art/CBU.

2) No song has been written... yet... Brings to mind John Hiatt's "Perfectly Good Guitar" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5begHSoQ1s&feature=fvw (Maybe a parody is in order... Hmmm... I'll have to cogitate on that one...)

3) Are you kidding me? Picasso? That hack wasn't fit to stretch Georges Braque's canvas! Poor Braque. He was the pioneer of Cubism. Blew the Art World wide open, he did. He invents a new way of looking at painting and the dude couldn't get arrested. Meanwhile, Picasso blows his nose and the Kleenex goes for 2.2 mil.

Last edited:
it is.. In fact, put it on Ebay as UkeArt, and I bet you get more than you paid for the Uke originally.

You may be onto something here! Maybe I'll wait 'til I'm dead so I can see the value soar. Y'know, Art's worth more after the Artist is dead, and the way things have been going for me this year, that could be any day!

I agree with brother Tudorp...there'd be people who'd pay a lot of money for that piece...you just need to give it a good title and a little blurb about it's history and it could go for a lot of money!!! :eek:I think it looks awesome myself...reminds me of a great quote from Banksy:

The holy grail is to spend less time making the picture than it takes people to look at it

I think your poor old Lehua fits this description perfectly...so, to answer your question, YES!!!! But let's not over-theorize...if its block mounted and hangs on a wall, it's art brother!

"Man's inhumanity to Ukes"

...reminds me of a great quote from Banksy:

The holy grail is to spend less time making the picture than it takes people to look at it

Off topic, but have you seen Banksy's Exit Through The Gift Shop? A must see. Talk about blowing a hole in the Art World...

"Man's inhumanity to Ukes"

Sad, but true. To be fair, it's really Toyota's inhumanity to ukes. I was just the driver! Yeah, "Just" the driver... I still kick myself daily for that! Now I have a constant reminder of just how dumb a human person can be. I love the CBU, but the Lehua was special, hand picked from a lot. The ones I've seen lately have no character to the wood. McCabe's stoppped carrying Lehuas for that reason, just too blah anymore. This one looked, played and sounded great for a $220.00 uke. Of course, now the CBU plays just like the old one, having the same neck. It was like getting in touch with an old friend you didn't recognize through all the plastic surgery until she spoke. Then it was like,"Oh, it's you!!! How've you been?" Then you're sorry you asked because now you have to hear the long, sad, dull story about how she was dropped in the driveway only to have a 4Runner drive over her... Sob, sob.... :{

Think of it as "Recycled"! Those CBU's are great. I have one made my a UU member, Cornfedgroove, and it has it's own funky vibe that's easy to love. I found out when it arrived that he put the serial number on the headstock - #2 - so that's it's name!

No song has been written... yet... Brings to mind John Hiatt's "Perfectly Good Guitar" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5begHSoQ1s&feature=fvw (Maybe a parody is in order... Hmmm... I'll have to cogitate on that one...)

This reminds me of that YouTube sensation, "United Breaks Guitars."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
And TWO sequels:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-UoERHaSQg&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P45E0uGVyeg&feature=channel
You should definitely write a song!

Last edited:

Looks broken to me...

Top Bottom