Old cassettes can be very humbling.

olgoat52

Reaction score
Used to think I was a pretty good musician "back in the day". Vocals, guitar, lots of bands, lots of arranging, lots of jobs.

Over the weekend I found a couple of cassette tapes from "back in the day". Man! I sucked!!!

I am devastated!! :eek::rolleyes: I don't know what I was thinking...

Used to think I was a pretty good musician "back in the day". Vocals, guitar, lots of bands, lots of arranging, lots of jobs.

Over the weekend I found a couple of cassette tapes from "back in the day". Man! I sucked!!!

I am devastated!! :eek::rolleyes: I don't know what I was thinking...

Ha! Ha! That sounds just like me olgoat...I've got a few tapes too of some gigs and also some studio demos from early 90's and they sound awful!!!! I was shocking...amazing how time and distance changes our perspective on lots of things in life, eh.

The encouraging thing though is, just think how much we've improved since those days...I think with music, ones skills are continually being refined and refined...the more you play the more you improve. It's a lifelong journey we're on, that's why we should never feel totally satisfied...we must continue to strive as long as we keep playing.

Thanks for sharing your confronting experience mate!!! But hey, it's a part of who you are...embrace it, and the memories that go with that time...it's all part of the puzzle

Ha! Ha! That sounds just like me olgoat...I've got a few tapes too of some gigs and also some studio demos from early 90's and they sound awful!!!! I was shocking...amazing how time and distance changes our perspective on lots of things in life, eh.

The encouraging thing though is, just think how much we've improved since those days...I think with music, ones skills are continually being refined and refined...the more you play the more you improve. It's a lifelong journey we're on, that's why we should never feel totally satisfied...we must continue to strive as long as we keep playing.

Thanks for sharing your confronting experience mate!!! But hey, it's a part of who you are...embrace it, and the memories that go with that time...it's all part of the puzzle

Yeah but the only thing that was a comfort to me about my current musical inadequacy was my "illustrius" past. LOL!! I'll think about embracing it when I stop cringing. It has been 24 hours and that hasn't stopped yet. Ouch!! there it goes again.

I really think it is an age/maturity thing. When I say that I mean "musical maturity" I once in a while have occasion to play with guys alot younger than me....It is amazing to see how far I have come. So from that perspective, I don't think you should be too self-critical. I miss my hair.

Ha ha ha! I have some recorded practice music from my group on pre-cassette era "reel-to-reel" tapes! lol!

A baby boomer,
grandpa stu

Always nice to think about your past perspective and preception now and how much you have improved..

Always nice to think about your past perspective and preception now and how much you have improved..

I am wondering if it is more a question about past or present delusions :D If I fooled myself before, I can damn well do it again. All I can say for sure is that I wished I had recorded more back then and actually listened to it. I think I would have learned a lot.

Did you have fun playing and recording back then? Are you having fun playing now? That's the important thing.

Similar to the old race driver credo: The older I get, the faster I was.

I retired from racing after only one race—in which I managed to finish second. The other guy was next to last.

Did you have fun playing and recording back then? Are you having fun playing now? That's the important thing.

Music was pretty serious business back then so the word fun didn't exactly come up that often. There was a lot of study, education, hard work, practice and lugging equipment around. Looking for jobs and audiences, fighting to get paid for the ones you got to play. Sounding fun yet?

It was an attempt to become a professional which now seems self deluding when you hear what the actual product was sounding like.

It was as fun as learning brain surgery.:rolleyes:

Well, I guess one or both of us missed the others point ;)

Well, I've never attempted to be a professional musician: I just play for kicks. I don't think I would do it if it was work or if I felt that it was a job, so I guess I did miss your point.
That said, I've found that it's much easier to be self-critical than it is to see how good you are.
Don't worry about deluding yourself; a little delusion helps us all get through the day. :)

I think that I'm in a perpetual state of self-delusion!!!

But in the end I think it comes down to reaching a place of acceptance, and contentment, which it sounds like ol' goat has found...

that doesn't mean one stops striving to become a better musician, but it does mean that you start to put less pressure on yourself, and can see your strengths and failings with more clarity. Once you find that place you start to realize and appreciate music for the pure joy it is, as both a player and a listener. One of the good things about ageing!:eek:

Music was pretty serious business back then so the word fun didn't exactly come up that often. There was a lot of study, education, hard work, practice and lugging equipment around. Looking for jobs and audiences, fighting to get paid for the ones you got to play. Sounding fun yet?

It was an attempt to become a professional which now seems self deluding when you hear what the actual product was sounding like.

It was as fun as learning brain surgery.:rolleyes:
The "business" of music is almost always a buzzkill. The music itself should be the fun part - especially rock and pop. That was the spirit in which it was originally spawned, afterall. All that death metal, grind core, hard core rap, grunge, emo shoe gazing, etc of the last couple decades kinda killed the fun, maybe, just a thought, but it seems to be coming around to a don't-take-yourself-to-seriously vibe again. I guess brain surgery could be made fun if the surgeon played an ukulele in the O.R.

But I know what you mean. I found this a little while ago, from the early 90's, and my first reaction was: Man, this is dark! I'm playing the guitars and marimba, and my current bandmate and steel drummer, Greg, is playing drums, bass and piano. With age comes happier stuff for us, now. Different times, different stage in our lives, etc. Greg was mortified when I posted this, but it actually holds up, I think, dated as it is.

My second reaction was: Needs uke.

Last edited:
The "business" of music is almost always a buzzkill. The music itself should be the fun part - especially rock and pop. That was the spirit in which it was originally spawned, afterall. All that death metal, grind core, hard core rap, grunge, emo shoe gazing, etc of the last couple decades kinda killed the fun, maybe, just a thought, but it seems to be coming around to a don't-take-yourself-to-seriously vibe again. I guess brain surgery could be made fun if the surgeon played an ukulele in the O.R.

But I know what you mean. I found this a little while ago, from the early 90's, and my first reaction was: Man, this is dark! I'm playing the guitars and marimba, and my current bandmate and steel drummer, Greg, is playing drums, bass and piano. With age comes happier stuff for us, now. Different times, different stage in our lives, etc. Greg was mortified when I posted this, but it actually holds up, I think, dated as it is.

My second reaction was: Needs uke.

If the tapes I found had sounded as good as that, I would not have written the post. :D It holds up pretty well as you said.

Top Bottom