Flukes and Fleas for the Artiste...

Chap

Reaction score
This may be common knowledge, but I didn't know, so I thought I'd share.

Turns out Flea Market Music will send you blank soundboards from Fleas or Flukes for $8 (+ shipping). Decorate them how you like, and ship them back, and they'll build it into the uke of your choice, knocking the $8 back off the total.

This has got my brain churning, and my bank account biting it's nails. :p

That may be a great way for me to get my hubby to do some art.. then an excuse to get another uke sometime... I would love a fluke or flea that I could drag everywhere!

Apparently by calling. I only found out, because I mentioned painting one when I ordered mine, and there was a hand-written note on my invoice, telling me about it.

I actually almost missed it completely, who reads invoices? But caught it as I was cleaning my desk, and I'm gonna order up a couple tomorrow. One to paint, and one to paint after I screw up the first one. :p

Last edited:
Aloha Chap,
That's an awesome deal....Didn't know that, thanks for sharing....Happy Strummings!!!! MM stan..

Cheers Chap

thanks for that...I knew you could do it but had never bothered to enquire about how much they were...$8...man that's so cheap...I know what I'm ordering this week!!!! Cheers mate!!!!

fluke_face_02.jpg

You can, of course, decorate it yourself, as the above shows. Never got around to putting the rosette on, but it's due for a string change very soon, so I will attempt it then. Used water-slide decals for the graphics, printed on a colour laser printer.

Love the Fluke Ichad... very nice! And thanks for the word, Chap. Gotta do that! And... it is an excuse to take away some of the weight of UAS building up in my heart lately.

Sounds VeRy CooL... I might order a couple blanks and take a wood burning tool to etch a fetching design, then paint. Hmmm... the possibilities and ideas boggle the mind.... :):cool:

Too bad the rest of the unit, at least in my humble opinion, is overpriced.

Yeah, I kinda thought that too, but I'm willing to give 'em a pass...they did come up with unique designs, it is american-made, and they are nice folks.

And as I was told once about something completely different... "If your sales are increasing, you're not charging too much". :p

To each their own, of course, but considering Fleas/Flukes have good unit-to-unit quality consistency and are made in the US, I can't fault them. There aren't many US-manufactured instruments you can find for $200. Heck, a Harrison harmonica is $180.

My Lava Flea with the concert neck was purchased new last December for $132 delivered to my door. It pays to shop around a bit. To me that doesn't seem out of line with other well made ukes.

Last edited:
Just ordered 5 flea tops over the phone from Beth at Flea Market....$8 ea, +$7 or so shipping for the lot. Nice folks, and they are doing well, she told me they were in the middle of moving to a larger shop!

+1
I'd like to have a Flea, but feel it's worth about $79. Plastic back & fretboard, painted face, mass-produced... It's too bad, because I think the Flea is a charming 'ukulele.

I am going to get some and laser etch the whole thing (Except under the bridge) like I did my cigar box
3frontissues.gif

+1
I'd like to have a Flea, but feel it's worth about $79. Plastic back & fretboard, painted face, mass-produced... It's too bad, because I think the Flea is a charming 'ukulele.

Can't agree with you there....might be a bit overpriced, but not by that much. You're asking it to be the same price as the Mainland plastic ukes, which are made in china, and have quite a bit less invested in design and originality. (Nothing against the mainland plastics, btw...just sayin')

I think they probably *should* be going for somewhere in the $125 range instead of $170...but they're selling enough of them at that price that they're having to expand operations.

Top Bottom