Normal, IL Uke meeting

ukeeku

Reaction score
So I figured that it is time that Normal, IL got a uke club together. I will be at The Coffee house in Normal this Wednesday (November 17) at 7pm if you would like to come.
We do not have an official name or what we are going to do yet, but I figured we meet, play, and talk and see if it should be a thing.
Bring Uke if you have one, and some copies of songs you like to play (5 would be good)
informal, no pressure to play.
Hope to see people there.

Aloha Ukeeku,
What an awesome idea...no forget some pic's .....We're all intrested..HaVe Fun and Enjoy!!!"Happy Strummings" MM Stan...

Awww, a little too far for me for a Wed. night. I still make it to Normal every now and then. I still have friends there.

I'm thinking about your meeting. My problem is you are almost three hours away from me.
But I'm thinking about it.
Anyhow how was the turn out for this meeting?

Hey sorry I missed this (you shoulda emailed me) but I'd be willing to help get this going depending on scheduling. Wednesday is not a good night for me because that's rehearsal night for my church band. What skill level does one need to have to hang with you guys? can I bring my ubass and tenor? Will this be a family friendly setting? etc.....

Did my no-good niece show up for this? I told her about it. She's at ISU for chrisssake.
Yes she did. It was funny, since I gave such short motice only one person showed up, then she walks in and sits down. I thought it was the other persons friend and she thought she was my friend. I was delighted that someone I did not know showed up, and she had a ton of music.
thank you for telling her.

So for the next meeting would Sunday December 12 or the 19th work? Afternoon at the Coffee house in Uptown Normal?
I know CHUG is talking about December 11 for theirs, and I want to go to that.
Another idea could be to carpool to CHUG and call that a "meeting"?
Any input is welcome

A couple of us started a Uke Club in Iowa City about 4 years ago. It started out real small (at times only two folks) and stayed that way for quite awhile. Then we started to meet at our Public Library on one Sunday a month, and got some good walk by traffic from that, plus the local papers have covered us a few times, which helped a lot in bringing in people. It has grown since. We can get 12 to 18 per month attending and have around 35 active members on our mailing list. (IC is such a transient town, being a college town, that we'll get people for awhile, then they move on, so that limits sustainable growth a little) But, overall, we're happy with our situation here. Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you in your effort. I believe if you stick with it, it will take off in due time. Congratulations!

So, Lets try this again!!
This time with spirit. Well...Christmas spirit atleast
I asked the coffee House in Normal if it is cool to meet there, and they think so. otherwise I will find somewhere else near by.
We can play whatever but figured it would be fun to play some x-mas tunes, but not required, bring what you like. Bring 5 or so copies of songs you would like to play/sing
Here is the thread of holiday music:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...ficial-Holiday-Tab-Thread&highlight=christmas
INFO:
Sunday December 12, 2010 @ 2pm
The Coffee house and Deli ( MAP )
Hope to see some of you there

Just a bump so it won't fall off new threads for a bit longer :)

Hey Ukeeku...I'd drive up and visit, but I have my uke class the same day & time, and I can't miss that. :p

A couple of us started a Uke Club in Iowa City about 4 years ago. It started out real small (at times only two folks) and stayed that way for quite awhile. Then we started to meet at our Public Library on one Sunday a month, and got some good walk by traffic from that, plus the local papers have covered us a few times, which helped a lot in bringing in people. It has grown since. We can get 12 to 18 per month attending and have around 35 active members on our mailing list. (IC is such a transient town, being a college town, that we'll get people for awhile, then they move on, so that limits sustainable growth a little) But, overall, we're happy with our situation here. Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you in your effort. I believe if you stick with it, it will take off in due time. Congratulations!

Thanks, it is really hard to say "lets do this again" when 2 others show up. If anything I feel that if I keep setting up meetings that it will get bigger and better. If it doesn't, atleast I am having fun!

I'm planning on coming over as long as the weather doesn't get bad or some other unforseen event pops up.I'll bring my Ubass and my tenor. Are you going to bring a few of your ukes to show off? I'm pretty decent at the ubass but pretty much a beginer at the tenor plus I don't sing much so.... whatever it's worth.

I'm planning on coming over as long as the weather doesn't get bad or some other unforseen event pops up.I'll bring my Ubass and my tenor. Are you going to bring a few of your ukes to show off? I'm pretty decent at the ubass but pretty much a beginer at the tenor plus I don't sing much so.... whatever it's worth.

WOOOHOOOO!!
I will bring a bunch to do some show and tell. Tell me specific ones you would like to see and I will bring them for sure.
If anyone else has requests please feel free to ask.

Current bunch, and I don't think it will change by then (* at the end means it is on my site):
David Gill Concert pineapple*
Anuenue papa II concert
Eleuke EAS-C (Like the solid but accoustic concert)
Kala KA-SSTU100 (Travel soprano)
Cordoba 25-CB (Bamboo concert)
Cordoba 10CM
Lanikai CK-S
Big Island SP-KRGT (Yes, I still have it, has not sent a return tag yet)*
Ohana SK-21 (Sopranino)
No name Banjo uke (Restored recently)*
Morgan Monroe Banjo uke (Open back Soprano)
Oscar Schmidt OU-2*
Papas Boxes Cigarbox kit (Concert)*
Black Soprano Risa Stick*
Bushman Concert Cutaway (Sold, but not sending until Febuary)*

Hey Tim. I've been tracking this thread in hopes of possibly getting over there during holiday travel. Unfortunately it doesn't look likely at this point. Good luck with the meetup and keep doing your thing.

WOOOHOOOO!!
I will bring a bunch to do some show and tell. Tell me specific ones you would like to see and I will bring them for sure.
If anyone else has requests please feel free to ask.

Current bunch, and I don't think it will change by then (* at the end means it is on my site):
David Gill Concert pineapple*
Anuenue papa II concert
Eleuke EAS-C (Like the solid but accoustic concert)
Kala KA-SSTU100 (Travel soprano)
Cordoba 25-CB (Bamboo concert)
Cordoba 10CM
Lanikai CK-S
Big Island SP-KRGT (Yes, I still have it, has not sent a return tag yet)*
Ohana SK-21 (Sopranino)
No name Banjo uke (Restored recently)*
Morgan Monroe Banjo uke (Open back Soprano)
Oscar Schmidt OU-2*
Papas Boxes Cigarbox kit (Concert)*
Black Soprano Risa Stick*
Bushman Concert Cutaway (Sold, but not sending until Febuary)*
Ummm wow you have alot of ukes! I thought you had some tenors I could check out but it doesn't look like it.
Also do you know a good stringed instrument tech in the area? I'm noticing the fretted note on my kala's C and E string go pretty sharp on the first two frets. I'll want to get that checked out sometime soon.

Sorry no tenors currently, but for my needs I go to CV Lloyd in Champaign.
Bring it, I would guess your nut is too high.

Top Bottom