Tonerite: did it make a difference for you?

Did the Tonerite make a difference to your uke's sound?

• Didn't hear any significant change.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Didn't like the way it changed the sound.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ichadwick

Reaction score
Just a poll for those UU members who have used a Tonerite device on their ukuleles. I'd like a simple answer: did it make a difference? And please use the thread to explain.

Was the uke tone changed? Was it louder? Did you like the results or dislike them? Would you recommend it to other members?

Last edited:
In the middle of testing it for the Tonerite world tour thread. Not sure I would pay $150 for the guitar one or $300 for the uke one. Still in testing right now.

I used it on my Boat Paddle. After 2 72 hour treatments, I noticed it was a little louder but there wasn't a huge difference. Great experiment but I'm not sure if I would pay for a new one.

I've used mine on 3 different ukuleles. One all mahogany, and one with a spruce top and a chambered Ko'olau CE with a Koa top. The largest change was with the spruce top in both volume and tone. I'm sure it is mainly due to the top opening up from the vibrations. Spruce is notorious for taking a little longer to open than other top woods like cedar. The Tonerite will definitely open an instrument up faster than playing it in.

Just remember, the Tonerite is designed to help an instrument reach it's individual potential. They don't claim that using it will make a bad instrument sound great.

For full disclosure, I also own the guitar version and have also found the biggest improvement to be had on spruce top instruments, but there was still a noticeable improvement on the cedar top as well. Both volume and tone.

I have been satisfied with the results and have loaned mine out for friends to try and their feedback was similar to my findings. I feel comfortable recommending the device.

Admittedly $300 is expensive if you are only going to use it once or twice, but as a builder, I use the device to open an instrument a little before I deliver it. That way the instrument sounds pretty good from the beginning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom