Wife's Soprano Uke progress

rickmorgan2003

Reaction score
I've been convalescing from a back surgery so in prep for that I got over to the community wood shop to get all the bulk work done on my wife's uke: resawing, blank cut outs mold construction etc so that while I was home (with no wood shop) I could do the hand tool work. I've got most of the pieces roughed out and ready for final fitting. Still need to finish shaping the neck, some final tuning on braces and the linings for the front still need to get put in. Cut the sound hole and I should be ready for glue in a couple days.
Front, back,sides from Morado, Australian lace wood strips down the middle. Bindings will be maple.
The one thing you don't see yet is the finger board and bridge- both are going to be birds eye maple that was reclaimed from a late 1800s floor. (Thanks Bruce from rock island tonewoods)
Doing this all old school for the most part, k=making all the parts from rough cut lumber including bindings, linings etc. Tuner knobs, Nut and Saddle I am going to try and make from some antler I have.

Attachments

• susanuke roughend.jpg
    susanuke roughend.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 80
  • susanuke rough fit side.jpg
    susanuke rough fit side.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 76
  • susanuke roughfit front.jpg
    susanuke roughfit front.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 80
  • susanuke rough back.jpg
    susanuke rough back.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 79
Man! That is going to be a GREAT LOOKING uke! Love the bookmatching, LOVE the Honu & the end wedge contrast.

Thanks. I got carried away with the resawing, probably resawed three different boards, getting about 6 sets of morado for the back and front, then let my wife pick from them. I have another set that I hope to use soon that has some gorgeous spalting as well.
I saw someone else do some contrast pieces and thought that was cool so stole some of the lacewood from the concert sized uke I am making for myself. It's coming along slower.

Nice. How are you gonna play it with those rubberbands on it?? :rolleyes:
That's really some pretty wood

Love it. The birds eye maple was a great choice.

Top Bottom