PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding which tenor..

agroupuk
06-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi all,

I recently got into Uke and am really enjoying it.

I bought a cheap soprano Makala (20) to start with and liked it but decided I would go buy something a bit nicer so I bought a lovely mahogany concert Kala off MGM on ebay. Its got a pickup and cost around 100/125 with shipping.

Anyway now that I know I want to continue playing (I play bass as well, so I am splitting my time by learning Uke also..) I figured it was time to get a nice (reasonably priced) Tenor Uke.

I have a few short listed (but not many) like the Kala Archtop (KA-JTE), the Lanakai Koa Cutaway (UCKT-EQ) and the Applause Acoustic Electric Tenor (UAE148)

I want to try and keep the price under 200 if possible but will stretch another 50 for the right instrument.

Does anyone know if any of the above are 'bad' in anyway? opinions? other options?

Any help apreciated! (by the way I am in the UK so bare that in mind if I need to include postage costs)

Cheers all

Edd

Plainsong
06-29-2008, 01:29 PM
What kind of music do you play on the uke? If you plug in the jazz tenor and play some rock or something blues-ish, there's nothing finer. I base that on this band here - http://www.myspace.com/losbastardossympaticos

agroupuk
06-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I tend to play modern stuff, Death Cab For Cutie, RHCP etc (I am not a 'fan' of traditional uke music)

Does that help?

ichadwick
06-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Archtops are quieter than traditional designs, which works for some music like jazz, but I think the cutaway is your best bet. The Applause is good, but a different sound than the all-wood models. It's a bit like the Fluke - people love them, but they are different in tone.

I have a Kala solid spruce-top cutaway tenor with pickup that's really nice to play and sounds great, acoustic or amplified. Priced in that area.

I'd suggest you look at solid-tops not laminates, too.