Help deciding which tenor..

agroupuk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently got into Uke and am really enjoying it.

I bought a cheap soprano Makala (£20) to start with and liked it but decided I would go buy something a bit nicer so I bought a lovely mahogany concert Kala off MGM on ebay. Its got a pickup and cost around £100/£125 with shipping.

Anyway now that I know I want to continue playing (I play bass as well, so I am splitting my time by learning Uke also..) I figured it was time to get a nice (reasonably priced) Tenor Uke.

I have a few short listed (but not many) like the Kala Archtop (KA-JTE), the Lanakai Koa Cutaway (UCKT-EQ) and the Applause Acoustic Electric Tenor (UAE148)

I want to try and keep the price under £200 if possible but will stretch another £50 for the right instrument.

Does anyone know if any of the above are 'bad' in anyway? opinions? other options?

Any help apreciated! (by the way I am in the UK so bare that in mind if I need to include postage costs)

Cheers all

Edd

I tend to play modern stuff, Death Cab For Cutie, RHCP etc (I am not a 'fan' of traditional uke music)

Does that help?

Archtops are quieter than traditional designs, which works for some music like jazz, but I think the cutaway is your best bet. The Applause is good, but a different sound than the all-wood models. It's a bit like the Fluke - people love them, but they are different in tone.

I have a Kala solid spruce-top cutaway tenor with pickup that's really nice to play and sounds great, acoustic or amplified. Priced in that area.

I'd suggest you look at solid-tops not laminates, too.

Top Bottom