Practicing too much???

caster

Reaction score
Is there such thing as practicing/playing too much??? The moment I get home from work I pick this thing up and play all night to the point where I have to force myself to go to bed so I can function the next day. This is every day... Even when I'm not playing my uke I'm thinking about playing it. Should you give yourself a break or play till the fingers fall off? I guess I'm addicted.. haha... Can anyone else relate to this?

I can relate. I am not sure what the correct answer is, though. I have had days (weeks even) where I've done exactly that. But I think it's probably too much. It's sure hard to put the darned things down though! I guess I would say that if you're not making any real progress and it's keeping you from getting sleep then maybe a break is in order. I now find that I do better if I take the occasional day or two off from playing. I don't LIKE to, but once in a while it is unavoidable, and it can actually help.

Now that I have a Fluke, it's always sitting out and available for a strum. This has led to a LOT of recent playing. I'm trying to be aware of not overdoing it to the point of injury.

I used to ride my bicycles 10,000+ miles a year, so I know about endorphins. I'm wondering if the uke playing releases something similar in the brain.

Hi caster

To me, it's like a snapshot of love in action...like, when you first fall in love with someone (in this case, something) you want to spend every second with them, as much time as is possible, so I'm not surprised at your passion at all!!! :love::love::love:

The great thing about the uke though, is that is as easy to stay in love with as it is to fall in love with :)

This sounds too much like me in many ways. I pick mine up just see if I can remember a song or go over scales and end up playing for hours on end. If it's severely interfering with your life, which doesn't really seem to be the case, then you should take a break. But I honestly believe that taking breaks only makes it worse. The great thing is, you know when it's time for bed. :D
I'm not so lucky... :(

i personally think it might be too much - i'm having the same problem right now, and not geting anything done. :( ever.

i get home, and it's just one hour passing after the other. terrible

Aloha Caster,
We all do suffer from the same affiction....you are no different....as for overplaying..I thought of that myself, where you can get off track and may not notice it...Like an artist, must stop and stand back
every little while and look at his progression...and make adjustments....or when I was a bowler and I plateaued off...and rested for a while, and when I came back... I noticed that I sometimes improved
maybe because of the fact that I may have retained my basics and may have avoided my bad habits through technique...I don't know if that if these hold water to ukulele playing...but it's something to
to think about.....As for finger falling off, he he..mine just goes numb.....Have Fun and Enjoy!!!! Happy Strummings!!! MM Stan..

Practice is the absolute key

In my view, you are practising too much when

- you are not enjoying it anymore
- you are not noticing any improvement between sessions

It sounds to me like those things are not happening, so I say carry on!

i personally think it might be too much - i'm having the same problem right now, and not geting anything done. :( ever.

i get home, and it's just one hour passing after the other. terrible

I'm sorry Tiffany...

you're a uke nut like the rest of us. Face it. Accept it. Embrace it!!! :eek:

Practice is the absolute key

In my view, you are practising too much when

- you are not enjoying it anymore
- you are not noticing any improvement between sessions

It sounds to me like those things are not happening, so I say carry on!

I too am on the dang thing nearly every spare moment, and I can create spare moments by neglecting; housework, yard work, ironing, entertaining, going out, visiting, watching TV. But hey I am enjoying doing what I am doing....so yep if I'm enjoying it I'll continue banging away.

As for whether I can discerne improvement on a day to day basis, not so sure....I do have days when I'll be banging out the same song, slowly or fast, over and over again, but again I enjoy it so I dont feel I need a break just cos I'm not noticing any improvement, but it is improving, keeping tempo better at least and strumming better.

I'm surprised I haven't given up really!! The further down the track I go the more I see what talent others have and feel I'll never be on par....but somehow it doesnt matter to me, I'm just having fun and enjoying the trip I'm on....where It leads to is immaterial to me at this stage....I dont have an expectation of what degree my proficiency should be...I just know that I am a better ukulele player than any of my friends, lol.

In summary, if you're enjoying it, strum away!!!!!

I say enjoy your addiction and spend all the time with your drug-ulele as you can. As I get older (49) with more responsibilities, there is less time to play. Life goes on, (around uking, of course). Play, play, play.

Very interesting topic. Thanks for posting and asking.

But I honestly believe that taking breaks only makes it worse.

Can you elaborate some on that thought?

Last edited:
The answer is no. There's no such thing as too much practice. Just make sure you are taking meal breaks. And bathing. Bathing is important, too, I guess... And work. Gotta make a living, after all. And I mean like a "job" job. God knows there's not much demand for ukulele practicers! Oh, and this is huge - sleep. You'll need your energy to practice! For me, one to two hours a day works... sleep, that is... practice the rest of the time, though, it's good for the chops!
:music: :music: :music:

Damn! I wish I had that problem, I struggle to squeeze a half hour in a couple of times a week!

Can you elaborate some on that thought?

I guess it's kind of like an "absence makes the heart grow fonder" kind of thing.
When you come back to it, you'll want to play it even more than before. At least, that's my experience with the situation. :D
I hope this makes some sense :)

I would say it is too much if you are neglecting other personal or family obligations. If not, sounds like no problems.

I guess it's kind of like an "absence makes the heart grow fonder" kind of thing.
When you come back to it, you'll want to play it even more than before. At least, that's my experience with the situation. :D
I hope this makes some sense :)

Yup - makes sense. Thanks.

I would say it is too much if you are neglecting other personal or family obligations. If not, sounds like no problems.

18 posts before anyone mentions this... If I practiced too much, my kids wouldn't know me, and I would get home to find the locks changed one day. (I am jealous on one level of course, as I don't get to practice nearly as much as I'd like)

The only thing I would say is that your brain needs period of active rest. There are neurological studies which show that when at rest, certain connections are "knitted" between our neurons which aren't created in times of work. So, one possible answer is, if you play a bit less, you will actually improve faster.

Top Bottom