Progress on building my wife's Uke

rickmorgan2003

Reaction score
Decided to build a Uke for my wife to learn on while recovering from some back surgery. The body /neck is Morado (bolivian rosewood) with a strip of Australian lace wood for contrast. Turtle sound hole is abalone. The fingerboard and bridge will be birds eye maple. Got all the pieces roughed out and ready for fine tuning for fit. Should be ready for assembly in a day or so. Then another couple weeks to get the thing tuned up and finished.

Attachments

• susanuke rough back.jpg
    susanuke rough back.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 58
  • susanuke roughfit front.jpg
    susanuke roughfit front.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 59
  • susanuke rough fit side.jpg
    susanuke rough fit side.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 50
  • susanuke roughend.jpg
    susanuke roughend.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 53
Thank is beautiful wood. Nice inlay. That is going to be a gorgeous uke. Wife should be very happy.

Great soundhole decoration..Is this something you created?

Aloha Rick,
Awesome Job man!! and the coolest turtle...just was wondering how it would have looked more intresting it the grain pattren would have gone the other way...but just as beautiful...thanks for sharing..MM Stan..

Aloha Rick,
Awesome Job man!! and the coolest turtle...just was wondering how it would have looked more intresting it the grain pattren would have gone the other way...but just as beautiful...thanks for sharing..MM Stan..

Thanks. I did think about it. It was a tough choice but when I layed out the fingerboard with it the other way it interfered with the grain pattern. The way it is now, we lose the figure up where the fingerboard will be. You, ve got me second guessing now though;) when it was the oherway, the figure flowed with turtles flippers. Oh well, guess I will have to knock out another one sometime in the opposite direction.:rolleyes:

If you have a little patience and basic idea of how how to use a saw and sand you can build one. It may not be a masterpiece but it will probably sound great. Stew Mac sells a kit which has done most of the hard stuff for you already. You can also take a workshop, build a uke in 1-4 days. Hana Lima has one in hawaii, and many luthiers have them all over the world. Pete Howett in the UK comes to mind.
In addition to having a new uke, you really get to know your instrument better. It also really impresses people when you tell them you built it. Luthiers have done a great job historically of making people think that there is something mystical about intsrument making.

If you have a little patience and basic idea of how how to use a saw and sand you can build one. It may not be a masterpiece but it will probably sound great. Stew Mac sells a kit which has done most of the hard stuff for you already. You can also take a workshop, build a uke in 1-4 days. Hana Lima has one in hawaii, and many luthiers have them all over the world. Pete Howett in the UK comes to mind.
In addition to having a new uke, you really get to know your instrument better. It also really impresses people when you tell them you built it. Luthiers have done a great job historically of making people think that there is something mystical about intsrument making.

I know about Pete Howlett and Hana Lima, but do you know if there are any workshops in mainland USA, preferably the midwest?

That's looking wonderful. Be sure to post pics when it's done. The wood grain is lovely.

I know about Pete Howlett and Hana Lima, but do you know if there are any workshops in mainland USA, preferably the midwest?

I think Rick Turner does them - he's CA though, I think. He's around here sometimes... I believe they build pineapples in his workshops.

Top Bottom