Bad uke day

Nuprin

Reaction score
This past August I was fortunate enough to get an excellent condition 1920's era Slingerland May Bell banjolele. Someone sold it to the music store I work at so I picked it up for $200.

Today at work, someone came in and asked if anyone within the past few months had tried to sell us a vintage banjolele as his girlfriend had had one stolen. He then proceeded to describe the uke in perfect detail. It was very obvious that I had his girlfriend's stolen banjolele. :(

So, we figured out that the person who sold it to us was the girlfriend of a friend of his so he called her and she admitted to it. She agreed to buy it back from me. I couldn't in good conscience charge more than I paid so I'll be selling it back tomorrow for the $200 I paid.

I'm disappointed...I didn't play it much but I'll still miss it. Oh well, I guess I'll put the money towards my Moore Bettah fund.

That sucks, but of course it was the right thing to do.

That bites, but just think how bad of a uke day she was having until she found out she was going to get it back. You got some good karma points going.

Mahalo Nuprin. Stand up thing to do.

Mahalo Nuprin. Stand up thing to do.

Couldn't have said in any better Chap. Blessings Nuprin. Extremely honourable. And, an extra $200smackers towards the custom :)

This past August I was fortunate enough to get an excellent condition 1920's era Slingerland May Bell banjolele. Someone sold it to the music store I work at so I picked it up for $200.

Today at work, someone came in and asked if anyone within the past few months had tried to sell us a vintage banjolele as his girlfriend had had one stolen. He then proceeded to describe the uke in perfect detail. It was very obvious that I had his girlfriend's stolen banjolele. :(

So, we figured out that the person who sold it to us was the girlfriend of a friend of his so he called her and she admitted to it. She agreed to buy it back from me. I couldn't in good conscience charge more than I paid so I'll be selling it back tomorrow for the $200 I paid.

I'm disappointed...I didn't play it much but I'll still miss it. Oh well, I guess I'll put the money towards my Moore Bettah fund.

That Moore Bettah will blow that banjo uke out of the water. ;)

Good work. It's always tough to do something like that, but it is the right thing to do.

Good job chris. Honesty, the best policy.

Like my father always said, If you do something nice which although hurts yourself in any way, the big guy up there would make it up to you, in greater amounts.

Good job chris. Honesty, the best policy.

Like my father always said, If you do something nice which although hurts yourself in any way, the big guy up there would make it up to you, in greater amounts.

Amen to that brother Lexxy!!! The Big Guy loves seeing sacrifices made out of love for other people...:)

Aloha Chris,
You're a stand up guy, it was the most honorable thing to do.....I'm sure, a better one will come along for you in the future....
Decisions like that will pay off dividends when you reach the Pearly Gates!!! Hip Hip Hooray for Nuprin, we're even more
proud of you now....Happy strummings...MM Stan..

That was a good thing. You should feel good about it.

That lady on the other hand. Well, at least she made up for her act. An amends of sorts.

The owner, no doubt, is likely real happy about end result.

Bad uke day - Good karma day.

I'm with didgeridoo2... bummer for sure, but more better things will come of it... (I know I shouldn't type stuff like this when I am tired) It's good to see people doing the right thing for sure.. it happens so rarely these days! Kudos to you! Thanks for sharing... I like people even better today!

You did the right thing. Good job.

That sucks. Bitter sweet ending really...

Don't worry, karma will hit you back with something really nice.

You can't buy good JuJu, it's a reward for spreading it. So as everyone said. It is always a good day when ya do the right thing at any cost.

Actually, kudos also goes to the real owner who offered to buy it back, because legally she didn't have to do that. When a stolen item is passed on, then found and discovered as a stolen item, the item goes back to the legal owner, and whoever has it looses. In this case, the store would have had to refund your money, and take the loss. So, Kudos to you for IDing it, owning up to it and returning it, and for the true owner for compensating you and the store to cover the loss.

As everyone has said you did the right thing. As bad as you feel, think of what may have happened had you decided to not say anything...

First, it would have bothered you. But more than that, if it was found out who took the banjolele and that person said she sold it to the store. Now back at the store, you have suddenly become a bad guy because you have the stolen property, that you denied knowing about, the store owner is ticked off. If a police report had been filed, you have authorities involved. And in the end you probably lose the banjolele without any compensation and lose the trust of the store owner along the way.

John

Top Bottom