PDA

View Full Version : Bad uke day

Nuprin
11-16-2010, 05:50 PM
This past August I was fortunate enough to get an excellent condition 1920's era Slingerland May Bell banjolele. Someone sold it to the music store I work at so I picked it up for $200.

Today at work, someone came in and asked if anyone within the past few months had tried to sell us a vintage banjolele as his girlfriend had had one stolen. He then proceeded to describe the uke in perfect detail. It was very obvious that I had his girlfriend's stolen banjolele. :(

So, we figured out that the person who sold it to us was the girlfriend of a friend of his so he called her and she admitted to it. She agreed to buy it back from me. I couldn't in good conscience charge more than I paid so I'll be selling it back tomorrow for the $200 I paid.

I'm disappointed...I didn't play it much but I'll still miss it. Oh well, I guess I'll put the money towards my Moore Bettah fund.

Chris Tarman
11-16-2010, 05:51 PM
That sucks, but of course it was the right thing to do.

rickmorgan2003
11-16-2010, 05:53 PM
That bites, but just think how bad of a uke day she was having until she found out she was going to get it back. You got some good karma points going.

didgeridoo2
11-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Bad uke day - Good karma day.

Chap
11-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Mahalo Nuprin. Stand up thing to do.

Hippie Dribble
11-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Mahalo Nuprin. Stand up thing to do.

Couldn't have said in any better Chap. Blessings Nuprin. Extremely honourable. And, an extra $200smackers towards the custom :)

thejumpingflea
11-16-2010, 07:04 PM
This past August I was fortunate enough to get an excellent condition 1920's era Slingerland May Bell banjolele. Someone sold it to the music store I work at so I picked it up for $200.

Today at work, someone came in and asked if anyone within the past few months had tried to sell us a vintage banjolele as his girlfriend had had one stolen. He then proceeded to describe the uke in perfect detail. It was very obvious that I had his girlfriend's stolen banjolele. :(

So, we figured out that the person who sold it to us was the girlfriend of a friend of his so he called her and she admitted to it. She agreed to buy it back from me. I couldn't in good conscience charge more than I paid so I'll be selling it back tomorrow for the $200 I paid.

I'm disappointed...I didn't play it much but I'll still miss it. Oh well, I guess I'll put the money towards my Moore Bettah fund.

That Moore Bettah will blow that banjo uke out of the water. ;)

Good work. It's always tough to do something like that, but it is the right thing to do.

Lexxy
11-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Good job chris. Honesty, the best policy.

Like my father always said, If you do something nice which although hurts yourself in any way, the big guy up there would make it up to you, in greater amounts.

Hippie Dribble
11-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Good job chris. Honesty, the best policy.

Like my father always said, If you do something nice which although hurts yourself in any way, the big guy up there would make it up to you, in greater amounts.

Amen to that brother Lexxy!!! The Big Guy loves seeing sacrifices made out of love for other people...:)

mm stan
11-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Aloha Chris,
You're a stand up guy, it was the most honorable thing to do.....I'm sure, a better one will come along for you in the future....
Decisions like that will pay off dividends when you reach the Pearly Gates!!! Hip Hip Hooray for Nuprin, we're even more
proud of you now....Happy strummings...MM Stan..

SuzukHammer
11-16-2010, 09:53 PM
That was a good thing. You should feel good about it.

That lady on the other hand. Well, at least she made up for her act. An amends of sorts.

The owner, no doubt, is likely real happy about end result.

Ronnie Aloha
11-17-2010, 02:03 AM
When you get your MB you'll realize that your good deed was truly rewarded.

fitncrafty
11-17-2010, 02:28 AM
Bad uke day - Good karma day.

I'm with didgeridoo2... bummer for sure, but more better things will come of it... (I know I shouldn't type stuff like this when I am tired) It's good to see people doing the right thing for sure.. it happens so rarely these days! Kudos to you! Thanks for sharing... I like people even better today!

rasputinsghost
11-17-2010, 03:21 AM
You did the right thing. Good job.

Skitzic
11-17-2010, 03:24 AM
That sucks. Bitter sweet ending really...

Don't worry, karma will hit you back with something really nice.

Tudorp
11-17-2010, 04:27 AM
You can't buy good JuJu, it's a reward for spreading it. So as everyone said. It is always a good day when ya do the right thing at any cost.

The_Oddness_of_It_All
11-17-2010, 05:03 AM
Oh, man that's too bad! But way to go with your integrity.

Tudorp
11-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Actually, kudos also goes to the real owner who offered to buy it back, because legally she didn't have to do that. When a stolen item is passed on, then found and discovered as a stolen item, the item goes back to the legal owner, and whoever has it looses. In this case, the store would have had to refund your money, and take the loss. So, Kudos to you for IDing it, owning up to it and returning it, and for the true owner for compensating you and the store to cover the loss.

70sSanO
11-17-2010, 05:25 AM
As everyone has said you did the right thing. As bad as you feel, think of what may have happened had you decided to not say anything...

First, it would have bothered you. But more than that, if it was found out who took the banjolele and that person said she sold it to the store. Now back at the store, you have suddenly become a bad guy because you have the stolen property, that you denied knowing about, the store owner is ticked off. If a police report had been filed, you have authorities involved. And in the end you probably lose the banjolele without any compensation and lose the trust of the store owner along the way.

John

ukecantdothat
11-17-2010, 05:53 AM
Good on ya, bruddah! :nana:

knadles
11-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Let me add my kudos to the list. You did the right thing. How often does someone get back something that was stolen? She's probably elated.

olgoat52
11-17-2010, 06:06 AM

It could have been a lot worse. In some states, if the original owner has the proper documentation to prove ownership, the police can just take the item in question and not reimburse you. Can get pretty messy. Even with proper receipts it can be a mess.

So on top of getting your money back, you get the aforementioned Karma points.

DAPuke
11-17-2010, 06:47 AM
A "ukey" thing to do. You've made us proud. I'll re-iterate, karma baby, you'll get your banjolele for a better price.
DAP

lozarkman
11-17-2010, 07:11 AM
You had no choice!! From that day on every time your picked up that uke it would have been ruined by the little conscience uke voice inside of you that would have said, you don't deserve me, you did the wrong thing. NOW when you get your new custom it will sound sweet and ring with joy for the wonderful person playing it. Rejoice in your decision. Kudos 'Bro. Lozark

GreatGazukes
11-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Funny how providence stepped in for the guy who had the banjolele stolen. It could have been easlily on-sold to a nobody and never seen the light of day again...and you got a brief flirtation with an instrument and good karma points and a cool story to boot...you can't be too miserable at that. Bad Uke Day??? more kinda Yay Uke Day. (betcha the guy is gonna be saying nice things about your self/store)

Nuprin
11-17-2010, 01:32 PM
It never crossed my mind to not confess that I had the uke. I put myself in her position...if I had one of mine stolen, I would hope someone would do the same for me if it was in their power.

After the boyfriend left to get the money, my boss (and owner of the store) pulled me aside and told me that if the boyfriend couldn't get the money for some reason, the store would eat the loss so I knew that I would be reimbursed. I'm glad that the girl who stole it owned up to it and agreed to pay for it. I'm sure the true owner will be really happy to get it back which definitely makes me feel better.

didgeridoo2
11-17-2010, 02:18 PM
BTW, Nuprin - Your custom MP Tenor looks suspiciously like one I lost a couple months ago.

Mim
11-17-2010, 02:51 PM
So proud of you! And you have an awesome store you work for to be so great about it like that! May another Banjolele come your way!

Dane
11-17-2010, 03:56 PM
There is a pool of Karma that is related to ukulele playing, all good uke deeds add to this pool. The larger your uku-karma the better your playing will be. I am jealous of your Karma pool.

Nuprin
11-18-2010, 03:36 AM
BTW, Nuprin - Your custom MP Tenor looks suspiciously like one I lost a couple months ago.
This made me laugh!