PDA

View Full Version : Massive Christmas Ukulele Collab

musicmonsterw
11-16-2010, 07:42 PM
In a little over a week, I hope to release a ukulele video cover of "Do They Know It's Christmas." This is a collab I've been working on for months. It involves over 40 performers, most of them UU members. Some of our talented UU members are not just playing the ukulele and singing, but there are also bass players, flute, violin, cello, drum, and djembe players.

I've been asked to start a separate thread to talk about the collab and where I'm at with it and also, how it came about. Hopefully, video editing won't take up all my spare time and I'll have time to post info on the collab here.

For now, this is just a warm-up post. I'll have more to tell you in the morning.

Cheers,

Ronin Wong (musicmonsterw)

Edit: Addition. It's now Nov. 26 and the video is already out. For those of you who are new to this thread, I'm going to post a video link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=272HvdsI8jQ

mm stan
11-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Aloha Ronin,
That's a good way to showcase the tremendous talent we have here at the UU..what an awesome idea....Hoping to hear more of it....MM Stan...

Sir
11-16-2010, 11:14 PM
I've done something similar at my school for this Christmas, although nowhere near as complicated as you're attempting. (Just vocals)

I've got just the teensiest idea of the amount of work that you'll have had to put into it!

Can't wait to hear it.

Congrats

musicmonsterw
11-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Aloha Ronin,
That's a good way to showcase the tremendous talent we have here at the UU..what an awesome idea....Hoping to hear more of it....MM Stan...

I've done something similar at my school for this Christmas, although nowhere near as complicated as you're attempting. (Just vocals)

I've got just the teensiest idea of the amount of work that you'll have had to put into it!

Can't wait to hear it.

Congrats

Thanks, Stan!

Sir, yes it is a lot of work. Probably several hundred hours by now. Yikes!

musicmonsterw
11-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Wed, Nov. 17 3:35 pm.

I've finally captured all the video I need. Most of the video was in a long time ago but there was some extra inserts that I hadn't got yet. Currently I'm on the second draft of the video. The first draft was nothing but a very broad storyboard with no attempt at synchronizing to the audio. In the 2nd draft, I'm following the main ukulele fingerstyle players and lead vocalists. For the chorus section at the end of the song, I'll map it out in broad strokes for now.

musicmonsterw
11-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Back date: March, 2010

I saw this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMspUgjQJyY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMspUgjQJyY

I thought this was a tremendous idea! I've been playing music for a long time, but I was very new to the ukulele Internet presence. I had barely heard of UU. I had joined but hadn't really done much. I contacted keonepax to see if they still needed participants but it was already full. I kept in the back of my mind that it would be a great idea to work on a big collab at some time in the picture. But, for now, it was just a dream.

fitncrafty
11-17-2010, 02:10 PM
I am sure this is going to be fabulous!! Thanks for all the hard work in advance!

musicmonsterw
11-17-2010, 02:31 PM
I am sure this is going to be fabulous!! Thanks for all the hard work in advance!

Thank you for the kind words!!

Wed, Nov. 17, 5:27 pm

Just finished sorting through the clips I captured earlier this morning, and shot last night. I don't like the importing features in Final Cut Express. So, I tend to import them into i-Movie and then sort the shots for uploading into FCE. It took a good hour and half to do.

It's amazing how much time is spent in getting stuff into the computer and getting stuff out of it. Most of the errors I make happen here.

musicmonsterw
11-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Wed, Nov. 17, 6:47 pm

Major failure!!

I started to work with one of the clips I shot last night. The audio was just a series of bleeps. It means the audio was unrendered. I try to render it and I get a message that there is insufficient room on my hard drive to do this.

So, I go back into i-Movie and move a bunch of my video clips from my hard drive to my external drive. I do this to manage my hard drive from time to time. Usually, it's not a problem. Most of my video uploads have been pretty simple. I just use i-Movie.

Anyways, I go back into Final Cut Express and now I find that a bunch of my video clips no longer work. Apparently, FCE keeps track of your video clips based on where they're stored. So, by moving the underlying clips, I've essentially made a lot of clips disappear. This is very painful. Some of the clips have already been edited into position to synchronize perfectly with the audio. It means I will have to do this work all over again. Fortunately, it affects only around 20 to 30 clips. All those clips not shot by me are perfectly fine.

Still, I hang my head in shame for a good 10 minutes before moving on.

UncleElvis
11-17-2010, 04:21 PM
I feel yer pain, brother. I've had it happen and it rips something out of you.
Get back in there, though. Y'heal faster if you do.

musicmonsterw
11-17-2010, 04:34 PM
I feel yer pain, brother. I've had it happen and it rips something out of you.
Get back in there, though. Y'heal faster if you do.

Thanks, Mike! I'm back in. The good part is that doing things the second time around is a lot faster.

musicmonsterw
11-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Backdate #2: March 15, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW1boRK-A78

The "We Are the World" ukulele collab comes out. It is fabulous. I think once again how great it would be to take part in something like that, perhaps even organize it. I thought "Do They Know It's Christmas" would be a natural one to do. I have no real intentions of doing it though. For one thing, I was not on friendly terms with computer technology. At this point, all my Youtube videos were extremely simple or they were shot and edited by someone else. For another, I barely know anyone in the online ukulele community. Who would I collab with?

musicmonsterw
11-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Wed, Nov. 17. 11:32 pm.

After several hours of wrestling with Final Cut Express, I got my missing clips back and forged on ahead. I've been working steadily since around 7. I took an ice cream break but that's it. I met my goal for today although it took several hours more than I hoped. I have a complete 2nd draft of the video now. The video and audio are in sync. Mostly, I have focused on some of the main singers, about 20 of them. There's a priceless scene with a group of seven kids which will probably steal the whole show.

Things look better now. It's now time to wrap up and make some goals for tomorrow. And, I might eat some more. Editing really does make you hungry.

Hippie Dribble
11-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Wow Ronin, what a massive job mate. Just wanted to throw in my words of support, encouragement and excitement!!! It's a brilliant idea and we're all hanging out to see the end product of all those hours you've spent weaving it all together. Can't wait actually. And also the fun of being able to put faces to names of all those talented UU members! Awesome brother!

musicmonsterw
11-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Backdate #2: March 15, 2010

The "We Are the World" ukulele collab comes out. It is fabulous. I think once again how great it would be to take part in something like that, perhaps even organize it. I thought "Do They Know It's Christmas" would be a natural one to do. I have no real intentions of doing it though. For one thing, I was not on friendly terms with computer technology. At this point, all my Youtube videos were extremely simple or they were shot and edited by someone else. For another, I barely know anyone in the online ukulele community. Who would I collab with?

Backdate #3: July, 2010

A few months later, I am no longer a stranger to UU. I started to poke around a lot more starting in April -- asking and answering questions in various threads. I entered a few contests, and I made my way over to the mini-jams. If you haven't tried them out, I highly recommend you give it a shot.

Mini Jams (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?18178-UU-Mini-Jam&highlight=mini)

At the Jams, I met several PoHos, the inhabitants of the LeaderBoard thread. Sally (salukulady) invited me to check it out. It was fun. At first, it seemed like a virtual coffee house/very slow chat room. I came to visit and I ended up staying. It became my online home.

Leaderboard (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?38124-Leader-Board-Ahnko-Honu-Takes-The-Lead-Chapter-6!)

I started to feel like I was part of a real community. It was either on the thread or in a message from one of the PoHos that someone brought up the idea it would be fun to do a collab involving all the PoHos. We joked around about possible song ideas. Then, it hit me. "Do They Know It's Christmas" would be perfect for our group. I knew we didn't quite have enough people to do the whole song but I could always recruit more people for the collab. Since March, I had gotten to know many ukulele Youtube performers.

I didn't bring up the idea right away. I still had a major hurdle. I was just not that comfortable with video editing. I did have some experience working with audio and mixing recordings but a lot of my knowledge was far out of date. I had been on an anti-technology stance for about 10 years. I decided that this was no longer a good thing.

musicmonsterw
11-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Wow Ronin, what a massive job mate. Just wanted to throw in my words of support, encouragement and excitement!!! It's a brilliant idea and we're all hanging out to see the end product of all those hours you've spent weaving it all together. Can't wait actually. And also the fun of being able to put faces to names of all those talented UU members! Awesome brother!

Thanks, Eugene! I will be mentioning the performers over the next few days.

CoLmes
11-18-2010, 03:47 AM
Thanks, Eugene! I will be mentioning the performers over the next few days.

Ah I was just gonna ask if you could give a run down of the countries represented.

musicmonsterw
11-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Ah I was just gonna ask if you could give a run down of the countries represented.

Yes, I will do that. Off the top of my head. it's

Canada, US, Germany, Switzerland, UK, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Australia, Bermuda. When I have more time, I will get a more certain list.

fitncrafty
11-18-2010, 07:32 AM

How come we wont be seeing your talented mug in this video??

musicmonsterw
11-18-2010, 08:38 AM
How come we wont be seeing your talented mug in this video??

I guess I didn't make that clear. I am performing in this video too. yes, you will see me. he he he

musicmonsterw
11-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Thursday, Nov. 18, 4:01 pm

After going to the gym and teaching for a bit, I've returned to the edit. I hope I don't have to work until bedtime to meet my goal but I probably will. I've spent a good hour trying to learn some of the advanced features for Final Cut Express. I'm not sure I understood a thing but I'm going to give it a try.

I saved a copy of the video as it stands right now. If I screw up big, then this will become the final video. I'm hoping to add a few more touches to it now.

salukulady
11-18-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm sooooo excited!!!!!

musicmonsterw
11-18-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm sooooo excited!!!!!

Thanks, Sally!

Thurs, Nov. 18, 6:42 pm.

I figured out how to do a split screen. It was rather clumsy and I got the screens uneven but there it was. It worked. Then my program crashed and it was gone! I started up the program again and redid it. This time, it looked better and it was a lot easier. It's fitting that Sebi is one of the performers in my first split screen edit.

Check out Sebi's channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/thesebinextdoor

amazing multi-track, multi-pane stuff.

musicmonsterw
11-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Fri, Nov. 19, 12:36 am.

Just finished editing for the day. That was too long!

I've started to use split screens as if they were going out of fashion. It's a lot of work. It's not so much the actual process as it is getting so many clips organized and synchronized.

I need to use them, though. I can't think of another way to actually show all the performers and show how the music was achieved. I wrote an extended introduction for the song that features fingerstyle ukulele, djembe, a choir, percussion ukulele, and bells. It updates the feeling of the original song while staying true to the original intent.

It's tricky to show all the performers in a short 16-bar section. I ended up using 4 series of 4-panel screens. I hope it's all worth the effort.

I don't think my computer is liking this. It frequently shuts down and the program crashes. But, my plan of constantly saving appears to be working. There have been many bugs and minor errors today, too numerous to mention. I have been accused of being a masochist and I'm starting to believe it.

I'm slightly behind my goal for today but I'm too tired to continue. I have no students tomorrow and no other business to attend to. Hopefully, I can catch up tomorrow.

musicmonsterw
11-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Backdate #4 : July, 2010.

As stated in the previous backdate, by this time, I was pretty confident I could find the people to perform in the collab, but not at all confident of the technological side. I started by contacting John (keonepax) and asked him what he thought of the idea of doing "Do They Know It's Christmas" as a large collab. He loved the idea and immediately said he was in. This gave me a good boost of confidence. I figured if I could get John and Sebi in the project, I would have their advice to draw on.

John started by giving me advice on setting reasonable deadlines. He told me to be careful to leave enough time for editing. Also, he told me about how to coordinate sending and receiving files online. I needed to be aware that there would be many different file formats and types of cameras, microphones, and recording equipment used. This really helped give me an idea of just what was involved. He also correctly predicted that I would end up working far longer and harder than I had imagined. (sometimes I wish he wasn't always so correct....LOL)

If you're curious, here's a link to John (keonepax) Youtube Channel. He already has a Christmas song out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/keonepax?feature=chclk

keonepax
11-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Hey, Ronin! It's fun reading about how the project has been evolving. All I can say is that I know how much work and organizing goes into this kind of project, so hats off to you for this huge undertaking! Can't wait to see it!

dianalele
11-19-2010, 05:16 AM
you are amazing for putting so much hard work into this.
I am BEYOND excited.

CountryMouse
11-19-2010, 06:35 AM
You are working SO HARD! I know how hard it is just to do any kind of "fancy" editing for me, just one person. It must be incredibly hard, what you're doing!

Anyway, I'm very excited about this and am so glad I got to be a part of this project! :)

CountryMouse

musicmonsterw
11-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks, John, Diana, and Mousie for your replies!! I think that's part of the reason I started this thread. I need encouragement to keep going.

Fri, Nov. 19, 10:54 am.

Woke up at 8:30 am, quick breakfast and coffee and editing again. I have the whole day off today so I hope to get a lot done on the video. Things are going a lot better now. Yesterday, I was mostly learning how to do things in a decidedly less than graceful fashion. Today, I'm using what I learned yesterday. The introduction part of the video is complete (except for titles, color correction, and transitions). All the performers heard in this part of the audio have been featured, except for two: one did not want to be shown on video; the other has a big featured section later on in the video.

UncleElvis
11-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Ronin, Doctor Uncle Elvis' orders are:

When this is done, go get a good massage at a spa (no "happy ending" jokes, please, you filthy beasts) and just let yourself zone out for a few days.

Repeat as necessary.

olgoat52
11-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Backdate #4 : July, 2010.

He told me to be careful to leave enough time for editing.

Guess he knew what he was talking about :D

musicmonsterw
11-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Ronin, Doctor Uncle Elvis' orders are:

When this is done, go get a good massage at a spa (no "happy ending" jokes, please, you filthy beasts) and just let yourself zone out for a few days.

Repeat as necessary.

Guess he knew what he was talking about :D

Hey, Mike, good advice. I will zone out. A spa also sounds good.

Tim, you ain't kidding!

musicmonsterw
11-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Fri, Nov. 19,7:26 pm

Other than going out for a walk mid-afternoon, and the basics of eating, showering, etc, I've spent the whole day editing. I am almost halfway through the 3rd draft of the video and am back on track with my goals.

About the video drafts: here was my rough plan when starting the video editing.

1st draft: import the audio (which had already been mixed separately) into Final Cut, and then lay some video over top. No attempt was made at synchronization. I picked representative shots for each section of the song. It was more of a storyboard than a video. It was also a good way to reacquaint myself with FCE. I've only used this program for one video before.

2nd draft: Synchronize the lead instrument or singer in each section to the audio. For the chorus, pick 10 representative people/groups. This was a tricky thing to do. Synchonization calls for a lot of exact mouse work. Requires patience. I just finished this stage on Wednesday.

3rd draft: Fill in the other details. This is where I try to make sure that every performer that took part is shown in some way. I'm also trying to show in visual terms how the music was put together. This is the stage I'm working at right now. It is very fussy. I found that I had to use a lot of split screening and in creative ways to show everyone's contribution. By the end of this draft, the video is complete except for finishing touches.

4th draft: Visuals. This is where I'll take a look at color correction and video transitions. The footage was shot by many different cameras in many different lighting situations. Here, I'll try to bring some kind of cohesion to the video.

5th draft: Titling. In a video like this, titling is extremely important so all the participants can be identified.

Hopefully, the 3rd draft can be completed this Sunday. Visuals should only take a day. Titling may take a couple or more days. At this point, I have no idea how it's done on FCE. I do have a great advisor though! One of my Facebook friends teaches video making. She has been advising me on this project. (Can I tell them your name? )

olgoat52
11-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Fri, Nov. 19,7:26 pm

Other than going out for a walk mid-afternoon, and the basics of eating, showering, etc, I've spent the whole day editing. I am almost halfway through the 3rd draft of the video and am back on track with my goals.

About the video drafts: here was my rough plan when starting the video editing.

1st draft: import the audio (which had already been mixed separately) into Final Cut, and then lay some video over top. No attempt was made at synchronization. I picked representative shots for each section of the song. It was more of a storyboard than a video. It was also a good way to reacquaint myself with FCE. I've only used this program for one video before.

2nd draft: Synchronize the lead instrument or singer in each section to the audio. For the chorus, pick 10 representative people/groups. This was a tricky thing to do. Synchonization calls for a lot of exact mouse work. Requires patience. I just finished this stage on Wednesday.

3rd draft: Fill in the other details. This is where I try to make sure that every performer that took part is shown in some way. I'm also trying to show in visual terms how the music was put together. This is the stage I'm working at right now. It is very fussy. I found that I had to use a lot of split screening and in creative ways to show everyone's contribution. By the end of this draft, the video is complete except for finishing touches.

4th draft: Visuals. This is where I'll take a look at color correction and video transitions. The footage was shot by many different cameras in many different lighting situations. Here, I'll try to bring some kind of cohesion to the video.

5th draft: Titling. In a video like this, titling is extremely important so all the participants can be identified.

Hopefully, the 3rd draft can be completed this Sunday. Visuals should only take a day. Titling may take a couple or more days. At this point, I have no idea how it's done on FCE. I do have a great advisor though! One of my Facebook friends teaches video making. She has been advising me on this project. (Can I tell them your name? )

Ronin. I didn't see the "making of" documentary in your schedule. You're going to need it for the DVD extras. And don't forget the outakes reel!!

musicmonsterw
11-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Ronin. I didn't see the "making of" documentary in your schedule. You're going to need it for the DVD extras. And don't forget the outakes reel!!

Tim, you're a slave driver!! Actually, I do have some outakes and some footage showing how things were done. But, maybe after this comes out, I'll put something together. It will be a lot simpler than this project, though!

musicmonsterw
11-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Fri, Nov. 19, 10:56 pm

I've been at it all day. It's time to rest. It turns out I had miscalculated about being where I needed to be earlier today. Now, I actually am on target but it's taken all day.

I have the first 2/3 of the video through its 3rd draft. The last part is going to be tricky. That's when the full chorus comes in.

musicmonsterw
11-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Backdate #5. July, 2010 again.

So, I'm thinking I need to cut my teeth on some form of a multi-track video. I remember seeing this video by dianalele.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXP_LemglaA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXP_LemglaA

I was impressed with how she cut from shot to shot and it helped propel the movement of the song. I wanted to try something like that. About this time, a couple of the PoHos told me about the Eleuke Rock contest that was going on. I had already been in a few contests and I thought I would give it a break. Contests are fun but sometimes I found they threw me off track of what I wanted to do. I thought I could use this contest differently. I didn't really have much time left by the time I decided to do the contest, about 9 days until deadline.

I had always loved the Aerosmith classic "Dream On." I've performed this song live with a piano accompaniment. A while back, someone had dared me to do a ukulele arrangement of the song. I thought: why not. Working off of some guitar TABS and listening to the original song, I roughed out an arrangement for 4 ukuleles, bass, drums, and keyboard. Recording the song was much tougher than anything I've tried. I spent 9 entire days working on it. I finished all recording the day before the contest closed. I crammed what knowledge of Final Cut Express I had and just went for it.

I had an advisor, the aforementioned Facebook friend. I scrambled through the program best as I could and finished the edit with errors still in place. I think I just barely made the deadline. I was happy with the end product but it was too stressful to work with such a tight deadline. I learned a lot from doing this though. It was a crash course in multi-tracking. Most importantly, I had overcome the technological hurdle. It was a hell of way to do it though and I do not recommend my approach to anyone.

musicmonsterw
11-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Backdate #5 - addenda.

Oh yeah, here's the video I made back in July.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwPavYMIqZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwPavYMIqZA

olgoat52
11-20-2010, 06:20 AM
Ronin. Hopefully not to off topic but someone sent me a link to this video and I thought it was a great piece of collaboration, performance, production and composition. Just a little gem. I immediate thought of your project for some reason. Maybe you have seen it before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeoT66v4EHg&feature=player_embedded

musicmonsterw
11-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Ronin. Hopefully not to off topic but someone sent me a link to this video and I thought it was a great piece of collaboration, performance, production and composition. Just a little gem. I immediate thought of your project for some reason. Maybe you have seen it before.

thanks, Tim! Awesome!

musicmonsterw
11-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Sat, Nov. 20. 4:43 pm.

Did some teaching and errands today. I woke up early though and did some more editing. I'm just starting on the chorus part now. The challenge: fill 32 tiny screens with performers. I've seen this done a few times. So, it's my turn to take a crack at it. I worked things out with pencil and paper on a grid. Now, it's time to see if the software will comply.

musicmonsterw
11-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Saturday, Nov. 20, 11:56 pm

It's been a long, long, long day. I did made my goal for the edit, just now. Haven't had a chance to post more back story about this. Hopefully, tomorrow is a new day.

Here's a closing picture to let you know where I"m at.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs559.ash2/148133_457743246745_659021745_6020529_7800351_n.jp g

CoLmes
11-21-2010, 02:29 AM
That looks awesome, I was hoping you'd do some tile videoing like that.

dianalele
11-21-2010, 05:48 AM
wow, I'm super proud to have been some sort of an inspiration for you to try your hand at some multi-tracking.

Thanks for doing this thread by the way. I'm really enjoying following along with your progress and getting the back story.

musicmonsterw
11-21-2010, 09:51 AM
wow, I'm super proud to have been some sort of an inspiration for you to try your hand at some multi-tracking.

Thanks for doing this thread by the way. I'm really enjoying following along with your progress and getting the back story.

You're welcome! Funny, I just assumed you knew I was studying your videos.

musicmonsterw
11-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Sun, Nov. 21, 12:51 pm

I woke up at 6 am this morning. I visited Sally (salukulady) on her 24-hour jam on the mini-jams. Then, started to edit at 6:30 am. I thought I would get an early jump on things. I sort of did but then I fell asleep later and ended up sleeping late anyway. I'm tired but the end is in sight.

I've tiled 20 of the performers for the 32-piece montage. I need to finish this 3rd draft of the video today to stay on target. I've been careful not to work too late (not far past midnight) so far in case I burn out too soon. I hope I won't have to pull a super late night but I might need to.

musicmonsterw
11-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Backdate #6: August, 2010.

Okay, so after the Eleuke Rock contest, I had a taste of multi-tracking and what that would be like. It was time to get the Christmas Collab going. I heeded John's advice about leaving enough time for editing. I wanted this video to have a good long run before Christmas day, so I aimed for a target date of Nov. 27, 4 weeks before Christmas (this was later changed to Nov. 25 to fit in with U.S. Thanksgiving).

I wasn't secure about editing, so I figured I would need three to four weeks, leaving me time for audio and video. I thought Oct. 31 would be a good deadline for getting all the video clips in from the performers. Next, I needed to backdate the schedule to the present day to have a series of objectives that I could work on. This ended up being my tentative schedule.

August: Development
Recruit all performers.
Form a rough idea of the musical arrangement and some preliminary ideas about the video.

September: PreProduction
Work out a full arrangement.
Assign parts to all performers and give them whatever was needed for them to start working on their parts.

October: Production
Collect completed videos and audio recordings from all performers.
Record my own parts and the parts for those performers who live in Vancouver (my home city).
Start preliminary audio mix.

November: Post-Production
Finish the final audio mix.
Finish the video, using the audio to synchronize to.
Upload the video.

musicmonsterw
11-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Sun, Nov. 21, 8:30 pm

I finished the 3rd draft of the video!! Here's a still photo from the video. This is from the chorus near the end.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs925.snc4/73890_458234236745_659021745_6027773_4458539_n.jpg

So, now, I'm gonna study up some more on Final Cut Express for the 4th and 5th drafts. I am now back on schedule. I might even get to sleep at a reasonable hour.

salukulady
11-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Whoa there we are,,,,,very awesome.

sebi
11-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Ronin, this video is gonna be awesome!!

salukulady
11-22-2010, 03:36 AM
Ronin, this video is gonna be awesome!!Yeah, he sure put a lot of hot guys in it.

Ukulelerob
11-22-2010, 04:09 AM
Wow! Getting close now.

Ukulelerob
11-22-2010, 04:14 AM
Yeah, he sure put a lot of hot guys in it.

Thank You Sally. But don't forget about all the lovely ladies that are in the video.

musicmonsterw
11-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Ronin, this video is gonna be awesome!!

Yeah, he sure put a lot of hot guys in it.

Thank You Sally. But don't forget about all the lovely ladies that are in the video.

Thanks for the comments! (yes, it's all about the hotness)

musicmonsterw
11-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Monday, Nov. 22, 12:58 pm

Just three days away from release. I don't have as much time today. I have some teaching to do today.

I'm just about getting started on color correction. some of the shots I received and also some that I took are too dark and/or the color is off. I'm going to go through the shots and touch up some of them. I'm not going to be too fussy. Don't have that much time. Fortunately, I've done this a bit before in iPhoto and also in iMovie. The Final Cut Express interface looks very different but the concepts are all the same.

I have half an hour before my first student shows up for the day, so I'm going back to the edit bay now.

:-)

musicmonsterw
11-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Mon, Nov. 22, 10:18 pm

All the color correction and transitions are complete. Here's an example of color correction at work.

Here's the before pic of the 32 pane chorus group.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs972.snc4/76568_458831686745_659021745_6035974_3306324_n.jpg

Notice some of the panes are too dark, some are too bright, and some have too much of one color which is starting to bleed into the entire pane. I color corrected a number of them and here is the result.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs600.ash2/155212_458831726745_659021745_6035976_3440573_n.jp g

Hopefully, the second one looks better. LOL. I'm just trying to bring up more of the real colors that were present. I'm also trying to bring the different videos together a bit more.

musicmonsterw
11-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Backdate #7: Aug. 25, 2010.

August was wearing on. I had made a tentative plan but had done absolutely nothing about it. I was taking care of other things, I guess. Only 1 week left to go in August and I had recruited nobody and had not worked on the arrangement. So, I had to do something.

I contacted John again and reminded him of my proposed collab. He was still as enthusiastic as ever. Great! which leads me to the next backdate.

musicmonsterw
11-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Backdate #8: Aug. 26, 2010.

This is the notice I put up in Chapter 4 of the Leaderboard thread.

*** SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT ***

I'm going to be doing a massive collab! It'll be for Christmas. I'm just in the planning stages now. I don't want to rush this one so I"m giving it plenty of time. I want to invite all the PoHos to take part! There is room for everyone no matter what level of singing or ukulele playing you are at. If you're interested please PM me and let me know. I can give you more details then.

The first day I put this out, 15 Pohos signed up for it! I was surprised at the quick response!!

musicmonsterw
11-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Backdate #9: Aug. 27, 2010

8 more PoHos signed up bringing the total to 23. I wanted to make sure all the PoHos knew about this so I started sending out Facebook emails and other correspondence, PMs, etc just to make sure they knew, in case anyone had missed my post. I try to go through all the posts but we post so much that I'm sure I've missed a whole bunch at times.

The roster was filling up so quickly that I needed to get a handle of things. I made a list of everyone that had signed up. Then, I started to rough out a plan for a musical arrangement. I watched the original video many times and made a list of the different parts I heard. This is quoted below.

ARRANGEMENT - ORIGINAL SONG

Original Song Elements:
Lead Vocal
Harmony Vocals
Chorus
African Style Chorus
Drum Kit
Bass
Tubular Bell
some kind of a kettle drum (two tracks) a roll and a straight one
Keyboard - Strings
Keyboard - Funky
Keyboard - a wavy synth sound for solo
Industrial Type Synth Percussion

(guitars are shown in the video but not heard in the final mix)

musicmonsterw
11-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Backdate #10: Aug. 27, 2010

I have a leadsheet for the song "Do They Know its Christmas." It's in a Christmas Fakebook I have. From this leadsheet, I started to carve the song up into workable sections of 8 to 16 bars each. Within each section, I made notes about the instrumentation I would want in the arrangement. I made several pages of notes. Here's a brief sample of the opening:

Intro 4 to 8 bars:
1. Tubular Bell Strike
2. African Chorus
3. Djembe
4. Uke 1: fingerpicking solo
5. Uke 2: percussive

A1
(corresponds to Paul Young's original part)
1. Lead Vocals
2. African Style Chorus.
3. Djembe
4. Bass -Deep sound.
5. Uke 1: Gentle strums
6. Uke 2: percussive

This arrangement went on section by section until the song was completely mapped out. i fit the ukulele into the arrangment. The original plan had a ukulele fingerstyle solo, percussive ukulele, normal strumming - down/up/chunk stuff, and several parts for electric uke - including a rhythmic part and solos. In the original plan, I was going to use the electric uke and effects to simulate some of the keyboard sounds in the song.

So, initially, I conceived of the whole thing as vocals, acoustic and electric ukulele, bass, and drums.

musicmonsterw
11-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Backdate #11: Aug. 29, 2010

I compared the list of performers already confirmed with the arrangment ideas I had worked out. I roughly assessed the talent that was available and made notes. I noted which skill areas were missing. I made a list of others, outside the PoHo thread who I wanted to ask to participate. These were all people I liked and also who had talents/skills I admired. They were all (with one exception) ukulele players. A lot of them were also quite skilled at other instruments.

Out of curiosity, I started to note where all the performers were from. I found we had an overwhelming number of US performers. Also, most of the people I was thinking of asking, were from the US as well. I'm one of those Canadians that loves Canada and the US . I have no problem with that. But, for this collab I really wanted to get as much international participation as possible. So, I started to prioritize asking people that were either living in or from countries that were not yet represented in my pool of performers.

I made out my recruitment list and started to ask those on the list to join the collab. In the end, this list was influenced by how well I knew the performer, by their location, by their particular mix of skills, and by how kind they were. In a project of this nature, there is so much to do that I felt things would go much better for me if I was surrounded by kindness. This has proven to be very effective.

musicmonsterw
11-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Backdate #12: August 31, 2010.

At my first benchmark date, I was behind! I had finished the rough arrangement but I had not recruited everyone I needed to yet. I was up to 25 people now.

One very important participant was Seeso. I had also been inspired by the video of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" he put together. This video was long before my time on UU but it remains one of the most moving videos I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZknGc7eDmI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZknGc7eDmI

musicmonsterw
11-23-2010, 05:58 AM
Tues, Nov. 23, 8:53 am

Been up for over an hour, just hanging out on the Leaderboard Thread and having a coffee and bagel. Time to get to work. I have most of the day free. I've been watching the Playing for Change videos to get an idea of how to use titles in the video. I've decided to add a short scrolling title before the video starts. Just a few lines describing the project with a good Christmas type picture behind it.

Also, I've decided to add a separate credits section after the song. That way, for those who want to know all the participants are, they can watch this part at their leisure. I found it was getting too cluttered if I shoved all that information into the video itself.

Anyways, back to the edit bay. (almost sounds like EBay. ) maybe I should say the edit cave.

musicmonsterw
11-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Tues, Nov. 23, 3:12 pm

I really should print the work in progress to a DVD for safety purposes. Just in case something happens between now and Thursday. Titling is fussy. I don't want to do too much, it's distracting but some has to be done.

musicmonsterw
11-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Tues, Nov. 23, 5:33 pm

I've finished titling locations into the main video. I tried to call attention to where performers are from. I thought this would a neat way to bring us all together. I tried to do it without taking away from the video or the music. It's a tricky balance. Hopefully, I did it.

Not much left to do.

salukulady
11-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Tues, Nov. 23, 5:33 pm

I've finished titling locations into the main video. I tried to call attention to where performers are from. I thought this would a neat way to bring us all together. I tried to do it without taking away from the video or the music. It's a tricky balance. Hopefully, I did it.

Not much left to do.Nap time .

musicmonsterw
11-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Backdate #13: Sept. 7, 2010

I sent out 15 more requests in a final push to get a complete set of performers. On purpose, I over booked. I had worked it out that I needed a minimum number of 30 performers to pull off the big chorus section at the end. So, I aimed to get 50 people. In any project of this size, some people were bound to drop out. Life happens.

Some of the performers which would be performing as part of groups. Two of the PoHos had volunteered their families as performers. This was great! It seemed more Christmasy to me. I had debated about whether or not to organize an entire local ukulele group to sing the chorus. In the end, I decided against it. I didn't think I would have time to do that.

musicmonsterw
11-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Backdate #14: Sept. 15, 2010

My performer list is complete! I have 51 performers. To my surprise, of the people I asked, only three declined, and only one did not respond at all. I had to give the collab a break. There were other things going on. I was running my first UU contest, something that I had promised to do was long overdue on. I was planning to go on a trip to Socal to check out the UU California Tour. And to visit with Colmes, Faricelli, and Salukulady (who was our gracious hostess). Also, John and Sebi had another huge collab. This time, they invited me to take part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz6xFCG3VSc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz6xFCG3VSc

CoLmes
11-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Damn Ronin, when I first told you to make this thread I had no idea it was going to be this thorough. Very awesome, did you keep a diary of the collab or something? It's so specific.

musicmonsterw
11-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Damn Ronin, when I first told you to make this thread I had no idea it was going to be this thorough. Very awesome, did you keep a diary of the collab or something? It's so specific.

I keep a journal, mostly just rough notes. It helps jog my memory. And I have a file of info for this video. There's more stuff to come yet. I hope it's not too detailed. I never know what others may find interesting. I'm just trying to tell the story of how this collab happened.

musicmonsterw
11-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Wed, Nov. 24, 12:18 am

When I said there wasn't much left to do, I was wrong. I just have credits to list but the credits on this one are enormous. It was too cluttered to have everyone's name in the body of the video. So, I have credits after the video is over. Each person will appear on screen and titles will show their first names, their Youtube Channel if they have one, and what they did in this video: eg, lead vocals, ukulele, etc.

It's fussy stuff to set up titles. I have a break from editing this evening. A friend came over. After he left, I went back to it. Still up.

musicmonsterw
11-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Backdate #15: Sept. 22, 2010.

Starting on the 16th, I started to collect email addresses. Some performers, I had contacted on Youtube, some on Facebook, and some on UU. It was inefficient. I needed to organize everyone in one place where I send and receive attachments. It was important to have everyone's emails. At this point, one person dropped out. Still had 50 performers. No big deal.

musicmonsterw
11-23-2010, 09:41 PM
Backdate #16: Sept. 24, 2010

I realized that the Sept deadlines were fast approaching. I had been two weeks late in meeting the August deadline. I was hoping to turn it around but it wasn't to be. The California trip was happening Sept. 30-Oct.4 and there was still much to prepare for the trip. I had to get my house in order, so to speak.

I had figured out that I needed to come up with a full musical score for this arrangement. I don't usually go this thorough. When I used to record songs in the 90s, I never wrote out a full arrangement. But, I had also never worked with 50 people in remote locations before. The score was meant for me to keep track of things as I went along.

I had been using a very simple notation program, Songwriter. It was inadequate for this job. I downloaded the free sample of the next program up, Print Music and spent an evening learning the basics of it. It was pretty frustrating but after a few hours, I got it into basic working shape.

I should say that at this point, the rough arrangement had evolved. I had been planning on using the electric ukulele with effects to duplicate the feel of the synthesizer sounds in the original. Then, Sally pitched the idea of playing the flute, and Mim suggested she could play orchestra bells. Also, I knew that Diana played many instruments including violin and cello. So I thought, why not use real instruments if they were available and there were performers available to play them.

musicmonsterw
11-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Wed, Nov. 24, 3:33 pm.

I'm roughly targeting a release tomorrow at 8:00 pm EDT (or is it EST?). That leaves me just a little over 24 hours. I've finished about half the credit roll for the performers. It's unsure how much longer it'll take to do the rest of it. I'll do some more now and then I'll pop back to add more to the back story.

musicmonsterw
11-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Backdate #17: Sept. 26, 2010

Finished the arrangement of the full score. I listened to song perhaps a hundred times, in specific sections to get down all the vocals (lead & harmony), bass lines, and various synthesizer parts. The synth parts would now be played by actual orchestral instruments.

This was intended as a planning document and a compass for the journey of recording a song. I had never intended on sending it to anybody else. But the Sept. 30 internal deadline was fast approaching and I wanted to get some information to everyone to get them an overall sense of where I was going. I debated about sending it out. Some people might appreciate the 14-page score; others might vomit. In the end, I decided to send it to everyone with the idea that it was optional. If it was helpful, go ahead and look at it. If not, ignore it. I'm glad I sent it out. I think it showed that I had a plan. I referred to this score again and again was I went through the stages of recording, audio mixing, and video editing.

musicmonsterw
11-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Backdate #18: Sept. 29, 2010.

I worked out everybody's part and I sent them the information. I extracted parts from the score as needed. Some people learn much better by ear than by reading written notation. I had planned to take care of this by sending out sample recordings of what I was thinking of. I didn't have time to do that before my California trip. I promised it was to come.

On a giant spreadsheet, I organized the performers under the categories they were performing in. For the Chorus part, I divided the group into a Red Team and a Green Team. It sounded more fun than Chorus 1 and Chorus 2.

salukulady
11-24-2010, 01:34 PM
....and the red team kicked ass!

musicmonsterw
11-24-2010, 02:31 PM
....and the red team kicked ass!

That's because you were in it.

salukulady
11-24-2010, 02:34 PM
That's because you were in it.Thank you....thank you very much.

musicmonsterw
11-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Thurs, Nov. 25, 12:52 am

I finished the credits. EVery performer is identified. The credits section last almost half the length of the original song. I played a simple piano background based on the chords of the song. Only a few things left to do:

Do an introductory frame to launch the song, a kind of a very brief preamble.

Export the video out of FCE.

Upload to Youtube and keep it private until the release time, 5pm Pacific Time,

In the meantime, I'll finish the backdates. Thanks to those who have stayed with me this far. I'm almost finished.

musicmonsterw
11-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Thurs, Nov. 25, 2:14 am.

I am finally, finally finished the edit. Every last second and detail. It's not perfect, nothing is. But, it's as good as I can make it.

I'm going to get some sleep. Tomorrow, I'll export the file and upload it, crossing my fingers. Yeah, I'll finish the blog, bring it up to date.

mailman
11-25-2010, 06:27 AM
Ronin, you're my hero. Thanks in advance for the time, the trouble, the dedication and the holiday spirit you have invested in this project. I can't wait!

musicmonsterw
11-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Ronin, you're my hero. Thanks in advance for the time, the trouble, the dedication and the holiday spirit you have invested in this project. I can't wait!

Thanks, Don!!

Thurs, Nov. 25, 11:30am

Just did some final testing on the video. I played the final version for a very small audience to test it. We thought it was ready to export. So now, I'm just exporting the file from Final Cut Express into a basic .mov format which can be uploaded to Youtube. Exporting can make or break your project. Fortunately, a while back, Seeso showed a Youtube page which specifies the best settings for exporting from a Mac.

After export, I'm going to upload this thing to Youtube.

As I was typing the above, the video finished exporting. I looked at it with my wife Marianne, who is also one of the performers in this. (It would hardly be in the spirit of Christmas to not include my own household). It's now being uploaded to Youtube on my computer. I'm borrowing her computer to finish writing this blog/thread.

musicmonsterw
11-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Backdate #19: Oct. 7, 2010

From the above mentioned ukulele collab for "We Are the World", I learned about the use of guide tracks. Basically, this is a track for performers to record to. This helps set the tempo and keeps everyone in sync. I recorded a simple guide track for the whole song. I used the piano for the basic chords and a very simple bass / snare drum repeating beat for the rhythm locking the tempo at 116 bpm. Next, I added two more piano lines, one for the lead vocals, and one for the background vocals. I used the piano, instead of singing the guide tracks because I wanted each performer's individual nuances to come through. I didn't want anyone using my singing voice as a reference. This was the basic preproduction recording from which I derived everything else.

mailman
11-25-2010, 10:15 AM
Ronin, will you post a link on the Leader Board thread when the video is available for viewing?

CoLmes
11-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Ronin, will you post a link on the Leader Board thread when the video is available for viewing?

You could always subscribe to him on youtube too. It'll come up as soon as its posted.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MusicMonsterW

musicmonsterw
11-25-2010, 11:27 AM
You could always subscribe to him on youtube too. It'll come up as soon as its posted.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MusicMonsterW

Thanks, Colin!

Thurs, Nov. 25, 2:23 pm.

I uploaded the video as "private" just so I could see if it would go through okay. I've taking up this practice because you never know what happens when things get uploaded. I was so tired, I went to take a shower and then a nap as it was uploading. Marianne woke me up to tell me it was done. Somehow the video went through as "public" - I may have forgot to Save My Changes. So, a few people got an early sneak preview.

I've set it back to private for now so I can finish the description part of it. Don't worry, I've checked it out. It went smoothly. The video on Youtube is the same one that sits on my hard drive.

musicmonsterw
11-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Backdate #20 - Oct. 8, 2010

I recorded a basic vocal for both the Red Team and Green Team Chorus onto the master guide track. I sent guide tracks to everyone. These guide tracks contained only the chorus portion, not the entire song. I thought it would be easier to work in small bits instead of giving everyone the entire guide track to follow. I had already sent out the full score and leadsheets as well so everyone could find where they were in the song.

Rzr
11-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Hey Ronin, did you remember to set your clock ahead 27 minutes yesterday?

You're killing me.

musicmonsterw
11-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Backdate #21 - Oct. 13, 2010

I worked hard to get out custom guide tracks for everyone's assigned parts. For everyone's lead and harmony vocals, I took an excerpt from the master guide track and sent it to them. The vocal line was given by a piano line. In some cases, I needed to be exactly on the line in rhythm and pitch. In other cases, the vocal parts called for a bit of freedom. I tried to suit the part to the performer as much as possible.

I started to send out guide parts for the choir part at the beginning of the song. It was important that the choir be tight and really on pitch. So, I made vocal recordings for all the choir parts. These were intended to be for preproduction purposes only. But, they ended up being used as part of the final mix.

The instrumental parts were treated a little differently. Here, I just gave the performers some backing tracks. In most cases, the performers could read music, so I just extracted the needed parts from the score. For ukulele strummers, I just suggested some strums.

It had been so much work and the project hadn't really gotten started yet. I started to lose motivation. I was already sick of the project. I decided to break up the rest of the guide tracks over a four day stretch and only do a little bit each day. Then, somehow I found a second wind and just finished all of them on the 13th. I slept in the next day and the next as well.

So, I was finished the second phase, this time only 13 days late. I had been 15 days late on the first phase. I was improving. ;)

CoLmes
11-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Bahhhh 20 minutes.

musicmonsterw
11-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Hey Ronin, did you remember to set your clock ahead 27 minutes yesterday?

You're killing me.

Bahhhh 20 minutes.

Only 13 minutes more. he he he

dianalele
11-25-2010, 01:48 PM
so much suspense...
this is worse than waiting for the ball to drop in NY on New Years eve.

musicmonsterw
11-25-2010, 01:57 PM
so much suspense...
this is worse than waiting for the ball to drop in NY on New Years eve.

Fun, isn't it? ;)

Backdate #22 : Oct. 20, 2010

Some performers turned in their videos extremely quickly. I was surprised but very happy. Usually what I do is import the video into garage band and strip only the audio portion. I then delete the video. Then, I work on the audio mix only. I used some sub files. There would be too many tracks if I put everything in one file. In particular, the Red Team and Green Team each had its own file where I would pre-mix the chorus before importing into the main audio file.

I think Garage Band is a misnomer. It's really quite a powerful program.

fitncrafty
11-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Fun, isn't it? ;)

Backdate #22 : Oct. 20, 2010

Some performers turned in their videos extremely quickly. I was surprised but very happy. Usually what I do is import the video into garage band and strip only the audio portion. I then delete the video. Then, I work on the audio mix only. I used some sub files. There would be too many tracks if I put everything in one file. In particular, the Red Team and Green Team each had its own file where I would pre-mix the chorus before importing into the main audio file.

I think Garage Band is a misnomer. It's really quite a powerful program.

I feel like you are talking a completely different language.. so excited to see it..

musicmonsterw
11-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks for your patience! Here it is. Hope you like it.

salukulady
11-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Lets go Ronin...it's 5:00.

musicmonsterw
11-25-2010, 02:05 PM
I feel like you are talking a completely different language.. so excited to see it..

Am I? sorry. I was trying to kinda explain what I did. But, very glad you're here! thanks!

fitncrafty
11-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Am I? sorry. I was trying to kinda explain what I did. But, very glad you're here! thanks!

I just know NOTHING about editing a video and music... I am very glad to be here too! You should have seen the trouble I had just pressing record on Utube to make a video...

YogaJen
11-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Ronin ! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay everybody :)))

itsme
11-25-2010, 02:34 PM
That was brilliant! Fantastic job, Ronin! :D

salukulady
11-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Wow....just wow.

veep
11-25-2010, 02:51 PM
great job ya'll !

mds725
11-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! Just amazing. It's obvious that so much work -- and love -- went into that project. Congratulations and thanks to everyone who contributed, and have a wonderful holiday season.

dianalele
11-25-2010, 02:56 PM
just amazing!
congratulations and Happy holidays to everyone!!

BIG thanks to Ronin for all the work he put into this! Ronin, you're awesome!

Be sure to share this video with anyone and everyone! Too much work has been put in not to!

haolejohn
11-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Ronin and everyone else,
that was a great video. Ronin, I really think you are crazy in a good way. No I really now KNOW you are a ninja:)

UncleElvis
11-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Just amazing...

thank you, Ronin.

idrnoel
11-25-2010, 05:39 PM
You know, I don't often log on to UU... but today is a special day Ronin. And I'm here to say... Wow! And thank you. It is a fabulous video... way above and beyond fantastic. Emotional.

JimmyRoberts
11-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Excellent work! I've been following this thread for a few days and couldn't wait to see the end result; I was not disappointed!

salukulady
11-25-2010, 07:07 PM
If you have the opportunity to listen to it thru a good sound system, please do. There is so much more there and computer speakers don't do it justice.

Hiladih
11-25-2010, 10:51 PM
I do love the collab! It's such a great resultat! Thanks Ronin! And thanks to all!!!

bobj
11-25-2010, 11:54 PM
It's cool to put some faces on some names :-)

Massive effort... Very well done...
Thank you

I can't imagine how you got all that different footage to blend together!

keonepax
11-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Ronin! I love it! Fantastic production! I feel very proud to be part of the video. Thanks so much!

dktoller
11-29-2010, 04:26 AM
Epic. The final cut is amazing!

The amount of effort and organization this took is mind-boggling. Really enjoyed your blog back-dates, it seems everything was (and had to be) scripted out in gory detail. You are some good kind of crazy Ronin!

misterpk
11-29-2010, 06:52 AM
Ronin, that was awesome! Great job on getting this started and putting it all together.

To everyone that contributed, you are all rock stars!