the U-bass!

I love the U-bass and really should learn how to play it. I have one in my shop looking at me every day begging to be played. I have learned the My Girl base riff, but nothing more. I may have to play some today. It is really an eye-catcher too. Such a great arrangement guys!

The Ubass is definitely on my list of acquisitions. I ended up in a production of "South Pacific" this last summer playing the bass guitar score. I begged my wife to let me by one but she wouldn't budge so I ended up just playing my guitar. No low end at all.

Oh, well. I'll get my dirty paws on one some day!

~DB

Love the U-bass... I've played one, but don't own it. I am mostly a guitarist, but I get called upon to play bass frequently. It would be CooL to have a U-bass in my guitarsenal, but I agree with previous post by cletus that it is over-priced. If the price point was under $400, it'd be worth it. But I can play a 4 or 5-string bass and achieve the same sounds and tones. :cool:

I think its so cool. It totally took me by surprise the first time I saw it. I just wish I knew how to really play it...

I agree the U-Bass is overpriced.
But I still love mine and have played it on all of my YT videos since I got it, although you usually just see the ukulele and not the bass.
What I don't like is the Piezo sound, I think the Ashbory sounds WAY better plugged.
But the sound unplugged is really great, I always record the Kala unplugged now, like here:

Love the U-bass... I've played one, but don't own it. I am mostly a guitarist, but I get called upon to play bass frequently. It would be CooL to have a U-bass in my guitarsenal, but I agree with previous post by cletus that it is over-priced. If the price point was under $400, it'd be worth it. But I can play a 4 or 5-string bass and achieve the same sounds and tones. :cool:

I see the above spruce top UBass goes for $400, but yeah, $600 for the mahogany sounds a tad steep. I love the sound of the fretless, very jazzy daddy-o. Another bucket lister, I guess...

Last edited:
VCRs were over priced when the first started too. Eventually, another company will release a "bass" ukulele and there will suddenly be a price war. The trick with it is now that Kala is the only game in town for this and it is (almost strictly) a novelty still. Like it has been said, same sounds from bass guitars for lower costs. That being said, though, I still want one :cool:.

~DB

Eventually, some clever soul will convert a garage sale baritone into a 'you-bass'.
You know who I'm talking about.

they do sound kinda cool, nothing like a bass guitar for obvious reasons such as scale length but still, really cool and jazzy.

..... If the price point was under $400, it'd be worth it....
http://www.amazon.com/Kala-U-Bass-Spruce-Bass-Ukulele/dp/B003JIXNUO

I'm loving mine. Play it out pretty much every weekend. But of course the Ubass lead me to the tenor uke so now I have two loves in my uke life.
UbassRig.jpg

Last edited:
I think they sound great and will certainly own one some day!

I've played a couple of them, and would love to have one someday. I'm primarily a bassist, and this sounds close enough to an upright for my needs, without having to lug an upright around. Plus, it's small, and a hell of a lot lighter than my Fender Jazz. But it would be a niche thing for me... I have 8 basses as it is.

that is so cool!

I can't find any videos with the bass being played plugged in, do you guys know any?

Actually they are pretty much ALL being played plugged-in. In fact, WS64's video here is the only one I know of where it's NOT plugged-in. He must mic the heck out of it, because they don't have much volume at all unplugged.

My only real concern is future string availability.
If they stop making them in a few years, will you be able to still get strings for it, and for how long?
On a related note, how much do strings cost?

Top Bottom