Is my Kamaka Pineapple authentic?

the greench

Reaction score
Hi there UU, first time registered and posting, but long time lurker.

I don't know if this is the right place to post, but about a week ago my mom came by my place to tell me something interesting. See her husband's father used to own a Pawn shop for many years, and it turns out in their old attic/garage there was this Ukulele in a hardbound case sitting there for years that he never put up for sale in the store. She dropped by again and gave it to me, told me I could have it since I own some Ukes and love them.

I opened it up and to my surprise, it's a Kamaka Pineapple...or so it looks. :p

Here's the thing, I love Ukes, own two [cheaper] Uke models, both concert, and to find something like a Kamaka Pineapple---for me to own---and for free---just seems too lucky for me. Now I've never, ever, held or played any Kamaka model in my life. I know quite a bit about Kamaka since I love their look and history, but I don't know enough to distinguish Ukes from them, or even know if I should be worried.

Here is an album of the pics I just took:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v483/lpstreetsoldier/Ukulele/

I want to know if there's any possibility that this isn't a real, genuine Kamaka Uke. Maybe it's a stupid question, I don't know how bad or even existent the "fake Uke" market is, but I wanted to get some answers if I could.

Couple things I took note of:

- Double KK gold logo decal on headstock. It's slightly raised when you run your fingers across the logo, almost like a sticker. Is that normal for the decal?

- White label on soundhole, with red and black "Kamaka Ukulele" written on it, as seen in the pics.

So does this look real? And if it is, can anyone tell by the look what kind of wood it is? I used to think that Kamaka only made Koa Ukuleles, but I don't think this looks like the grain I've seen on solid body Koa Ukes (And I've never handled one, so I have no idea how a Koa Uke feels).

Thanks so much in advance for all your help UU! :)

I can't verify its authenticity, but I am sure mm Stan and others can.. it sure it beautiful. How does it play? I am sure you love it.. The case is old.. haven't seen orange like that since.. I was a kid.. Congrats and enjoy!

That, sir or madame, is MOST DEFINITELY real. Congratulations! I don't know a lot about Kamakas, but based on what I do know, that is a newer one ('90s or newer, maybe?), based on the tuners. I could well be wrong about the age though. Good score!

Hate to break it to you but its a fake. I'll take it off your hands for $50.

Wow that is a pristine uke. Probably one of the best I've seen. The House of Music was a long time tenant in the Ala Moana center although it closed decades ago. That baby is genuine.

Aloha Greench,
Nice score, and yes you have a beautiful Kamaka white label pineapple..it's made between 1976-1982....probally worth about $400.00-$450.00
I'd thank you mom and your step dad ...for sure...yeah and the sticker decal is original...it's made of Koa wood as all production models are now.
Congratulations!! and Have Fun and Enjoy!!! Happy Strummings...MM Stan...
Back when House of Music sold the uke in the 70's and 80's it probally sold for around $70.00- $100.00 dolllars.....
My cousin bought his 6 string Kamaka tenor in the early to mid seventies for about $80.00

Last edited:
Ok, so I was wrong about the age! What do I know? lol. I just assumed those fancy tuners were more recent.

Thank you thank you thank you so much everyone!!! MM Stan even before you great people here on UU verified it's authenticity, I definitely thanked them for this beautiful treasure ;)

Thank you UU, and glad to finally be a member on this wonderful community =]

I don't know if this is the right place to post, but about a week ago my mom came by my place to tell me something interesting. See her husband's father used to own a Pawn shop for many years, and it turns out in their old attic/garage there was this Ukulele in a hardbound case sitting there for years that he never put up for sale in the store. She dropped by again and gave it to me, told me I could have it since I own some Ukes and love them.

Here's the thing, I love Ukes, own two [cheaper] Uke models, both concert, and to find something like a Kamaka Pineapple---for me to own---and for free---just seems too lucky for me. Now I've never, ever, held or played any Kamaka model in my life. I know quite a bit about Kamaka since I love their look and history, but I don't know enough to distinguish Ukes from them, or even know if I should be worried.

I want to know if there's any possibility that this isn't a real, genuine Kamaka Uke. Maybe it's a stupid question, I don't know how bad or even existent the "fake Uke" market is, but I wanted to get some answers if I could.

- Double KK gold logo decal on headstock. It's slightly raised when you run your fingers across the logo, almost like a sticker. Is that normal for the decal?

- White label on soundhole, with red and black "Kamaka Ukulele" written on it, as seen in the pics.

So does this look real? And if it is, can anyone tell by the look what kind of wood it is? I used to think that Kamaka only made Koa Ukuleles, but I don't think this looks like the grain I've seen on solid body Koa Ukes (And I've never handled one, so I have no idea how a Koa Uke feels).

Looks real to me. White label is 70ish I think. the tuners are very white (normally they would have a yellow tent from being used. Looks like you got yourself a mint shape kamaka pineapple. cost? not sure. check ebay for going rate but why sell it or even worry about a cost?

Man, I've hoped to find something like that, but end up having to buy them instead. Great & beautiful uke! Congratulations!

Wow Wow Wow... That is One Sweet Uke! Lucky You... Enjoy! :)

Way cool. We all dream of things like this. Nice to know it can actually happen sometimes!

What a great gift from your mom! You must be stoked! Glad it found its way to a UU'er. I hope you play the heck out of it, I feel like uke's are happiest when they are being played!

congratulations to the greench!!!

what an awesome score. Something to hang on to there no doubt. If Stan said they sold for around $70 -$100 in the 1970's, just think what the uke could be worth in another 30 years time...

Happy ukeing with your beautiful WhiteLabel Kamaka Pineapple mate!!!

Excellent! the real deal. Looks as though the tuner screws were replaced with screws with oversized heads, but hey, if they work, who cares!?

I believe that's how they are made. I think Koaloha uses the same tuner design.

Lucky Boy!!. That actually is called a softshell case and with all the money you saved getting a mint condition monster like this, the least you can do is treat it to a nice hardshell case to keep looking good. Seriously. It is worth the money.

Those big ol' tuners are Schallers, I love them on mine, some people don't so much for the weight. They are pricey and original to your uke's era and definitely better than regular friction tuners, IMHO. The big knurled screws make it very easy to set the tension so they don't slip when tuning. The weight is why some prefer standard Gotoh style plastic, but I think they are verrrrry cool.

We should have a club here for all the people like you who have perfect vintage Kamakas just fall into their laps for free, or $20 or less. ;)

Congratulations, it will be a joy, these pineapples are just superb. :drool:

Top Bottom