Soprano, Concert, Tenor, or Baritone?

UkuleleBlake

Reaction score
If you had one choice. You could only have one type of ukulele, but as many of each as you wanted, what would it be, and why?

Soprano... Cause it has the sweetest sound and is traditional. But I've noticed that most of the "pros" play the tenor so I'm gonna explore that avenue a little bit.

Dang... that's a toughie... I like all the sizes for different reasons...

However, I'd probably have to go for the concert, as it has a larger range than a soprano, and still retains some of the traditional feel of a soprano, while a tenor does not.

Though I like em all it would have to be tenor because the kind of music I typically play requires more frets than a soprano can provide.

Honestly...as long as it has a pick-up :D I play with my ukes all of the time, and the only uke of mine that has a pick-up...is broken soo...yeah. And people ask me to perform and I think "If only I had an Uke with a pick-up"...:music:

BUT...If I had to choose, a Soprano

tenor - why? because tenor

Tenor. I'm afraid if I was playing a soprano someone would say "ooooh look, a little baby tenor ukulele". How embarrassing would that be?

Tenor.

From a building standpoint, this is the demand. Standards can be had most anywhere, but Tenors, that's another story.

From a playing standpoint - tuned low g, add another octave range, more frets (as Dominator stated), multiple strings, alternate tunings, works well with Pickups, works well within a group as a lead or backup.

-Aaron

A concert, because it is mid-way between a soprano and a tenor. I get the best of both worlds - all the good reasons why people have said "soprano" or "tenor" apply nearly as well to the concert. It is portable, traditional and sweet-sounding, but has a rich tone, tighter strings and is easier to fret.

I like my Kanile'a concert.

KEN

Tenor. Easier to finger, more space between frets, easier to reach the higher notes and more of them. Bigger body means more sound and richer tones, too.

I like the way tenors fit when I play, more than other sizes. When I play soprano, I feel big and clumsy, like an adult trying to ride one of thos pocket motorcycles: sure I can do it, but I don't feel comfortable. When I play concert, I fell like I do when I've borrowed my wife's bicycle to ride to the store: it's ride-able but just a little off. A tenor feels more my size, like a full-sized motorcycle.

But also since most non-uke players seem to have only every seen soprano-size, they make "oooh!" sounds when presented with a well-made tenor and treat it with respect - like a real musical instrument not just a toy.

I feel the most comfortable when I play the concert 'ukulele. I got my first concert 'ukulele today. Even though its mass produced, I got a Lyon Washburn Koa Veneer Concert 'ukulele.

Wow this is a tough one. If you asked me a week ago I would have said Concert, no question. But over the weekend I was really feeling my Tenor, more so than ever before. But if I had to chose just one I would have to stick with a concert. why? Well just about every reason given for a Tenor or Soprano will work, except the original traditional size. Range, portability, just feels right in my hands.

Disclaimer. I have never acctually played a soprano. So I might really chose that one day.

A concert, because it is mid-way between a soprano and a tenor. I get the best of both worlds - all the good reasons why people have said "soprano" or "tenor" apply nearly as well to the concert. It is portable, traditional and sweet-sounding, but has a rich tone, tighter strings and is easier to fret.

I like my Kanile'a concert.

KEN

What he sums up very nicely including the Kanile'a bit. (though mine was made for Lanikai)

Though I started the thread, I think I should have a say.
And, I'd go with Soprano.
It was my first ukulele, and it's what started it all. Again, it goes back to tradition, but, I love the sound as well.

For me, it would be a concert...

I love Larrivee ukuleles, and they only made 'em in soprano and concert size. The soprano only has 12 frets, so it really has to the concert size then. Otherwise I might have a chosen a long neck soprano.

And man oh man, all the concerts I wanted... WOW!!!!

Let's see, there's the Larrivee, mebbe a Stradelele from Joel Eckhaus, and ... and ...

the bari gets not love, lol.

i would have to go with a soprano, as with alto of other peope its the one i started on. Ive never really played any other sizes, but when i did i wasnt a fan of the tenor (to big) and the concert was ok.

Top Bottom