32mm Tuning Pegs?

BrianA

Reaction score
I have an old parlor guitar with a slotted headstock. The tuning pegs are 3 on a plate and they measure 32mm from post to post. Does anyone know where I can find replacement tuners? Everywhere I look just has 35mm ones.

Thank you both. I may have to go with individuals like chiefnoda said. I just hope I can figure out how to do it without drilling any new holes.

Hi

You will need to drill new holes, unfortunately. So what kind of parlor guitar do you have? Is it just for playing? Any sentimental values? Any historical values? What kind of shape is it in?

As long as the wood is in a good shape, drilling new holes won't affect the guitar. Most likely, the old holes will be covered up - if not, you can plug the holes and add touch-up paint and they will be almost invisible. Drilling new mounting holes can be tricky but if you take time, it's not bad. Or, you can take it a competent repairperson. Probably a one-hour job ($60-$80) plus new tuners.

I love old parlour guitars. They got unique sound and the mojo!

Cheers
Chief

Sorry, I just realized that you'd replied again. I'm not sure about the particular brand of guitar (or even if it is one). It's German, from the mid to late 19th century with the stauffer style adjustable neck ith the clockworkers wrench. It's got flame maple back and sides and what looks like a spruce top. It needs to have a few cracks repaired before being playable in standard tuning but as is it's got nice low action and it's beautiful to look at. I don't doubt that it could withstand new holes in the headstock I just wanted to keep it looking as original as possible. I've currently been tuning around the slipping gear so I'm probably about 3 or 4 steps down and it still sounds wonderful. I'll post some pictures later.

You might check and see if Dick Boak at Martin Guitar can lead you to a source of the tuners. They made lots of guitars in the past with the Stauffer-style headstock and a few years back, they made a retro version with the Stauffer headstock again, so they might know a modern source.

This is what it looks like. It's all Stauffer style except the headstock.

Attachments

• DSCF0057.JPG
    DSCF0057.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0061.JPG
    DSCF0061.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0060.JPG
    DSCF0060.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0062.JPG
    DSCF0062.JPG