Ukulele Pua Pua no longer at Pacific Beach Hotel

Howie1947

Reaction score
Sad to report that Pua Pua has moved their main operation to the Sheraton Waikiki. The closed down a few days ago at Pacific Beach. Howie

Aloha Howie,
I think it was an excelent move,,maybe more costly rent, but definetly more better location in an established and most popular Hotel....
I'm sure it is an excellent location with alot more foot traffic and business...a no brainer...I wish them much success...and thanks for sharing
Howie....MM Stan.
I was wondering about the two close locations...

I may be wrong but I think the main operation was always at the Sheraton. The Pac Beach was a smaller second store. Having both stores covered both ends of Waikiki.

Last edited:
Ronnie, I'm pretty sure the main location was always at the PB hotel, the new location at the Sheraton has been opened for maybe a year or less now...................Howie

Thanks for the clarification Howie. Isn't the Sheraton store much larger? I've never been there myself. I've only been the the Pac Beach outlet.

Bummer. Having been to both I actually really liked the Pacific Beach location better. I preferred the layout and it seemed less crowded. Oh well, I usually stay at the Hilton so the Sheraton is closer.

I think the Sheraton location might be a bit smaller. At least it seems that way since it's always so crowded. I don't think they're hurting any and I think PuaPua is very proud of their Sheraton store. Any time I've been there they seem to be actively selling ukes. I think it's the huge success of the Sheraton location that encouraged them to shut down the original PB shop (which I could never find in spite of the number of times I've been there.)

Last edited:
Bummer. Having been to both I actually really liked the Pacific Beach location better. I preferred the layout and it seemed less crowded. Oh well, I usually stay at the Hilton so the Sheraton is closer.
Less crowded may be good for the patron, but not so much for the store! I checked out their site and it looks like a good selection. I noticed they have their own brand as well. I like the cutaway concert shown here: http://ukulele.pua2.com/details/pua_cca.html

Has anyone played it? Is it made by a known manufacturer or is it their own? They say it's produced in Vietnam out of Hawaiian koa wood.

PuaPua at Pacific Beach would use the lobby for daily FREE lessons.

I hope Sheraton Waikiki will let them use their lobby also. I've seen the Sheraton location
packed to standing-room-only. It's a great crowd-gatherer and attention-getter. Good location
with a LOT of exposure (to Sheraton guests in any case).

Yeah, I'm sorry to see the PB location close down. It was pretty 'down home'-feeling, laid back,
but I understand the decision.

BTW, Howie, how was your trip? Any new UAS aquisitions?

Keep uke'in',

Any time I've been to the Sheraton PuaPua, Bruce Shimabakuro (Jake's brother) has been there giving impromptu lessons in the lobby. My guess is that the Sheraton location probably does five or six times the business than the old PB store. It's a killer location.

I agree, Churck. That has to be a prime business spot!

I'd like to see some of your ukes there as well. I'm sure they won't be on the
wall for very long. And some of those tourists are well-heeled and come prepared
to pay for quality.

We local guys just go hunting around for 'deals'. Perhaps, one day....

Keep uke'in' everyone,

PuaPua is one of the few retail outlets I do sell to. When they get my work it seldom hangs around more than a couple of days before being sold. I just talked to a clerk over at the Sheraton PuaPua and they didn't know about the PB store moving to the Moana or any place else. Then again the help is usually the last ones to know about such things.

I just heard from the Big Banana at PuaPua that they do indeed expect to relocate to the Moana. Wow, what a superb location! I'm going to have to dress up next time I visit those shops.

Do you actually own long pants? : )

Pua Pua's English website was updated with the move to the Moana. Opens next month.

Top Bottom