Need to help a friend choose a tenor!

ytmr

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've a friend who plays the guitar and is looking to pick up the ukulele, but has a pretty tight budget. I've let her play my soprano and my concert, but she wants something larger so I've told her she's probably looking for a tenor. She's been to a few sites, and narrowed her choices to MK-T, KA-TG (I have no idea why she wants the gloss), and the KA-TEM. I don't know which is best since I've never played them, so I've directed her question here! Thanks for the help in advance!

My opinion... which everyone has... but here is mine. Go fro the KA, not the MKs. Basically for a little extra the KA are a lot nicer. Just little things like the nickel colored frets and the tuners. Then with the TG and TEM, really, they are gonna sound a lot alike, so whatever look she likes best is what I would go for. I gotta give a shout-out to the gloss. I was really suprised just how nice the Gloss looks. To me it is worth the little extra money.

Thanks Mim, I'll tell her that tomorrow, probably will go down with her to the shop and hope I don't get tempted myself!

Jus my suggestion...Three words....Try before Buy!!! Look for sound quality and preference, Comfortability, and playability..and size....
Don't omit the baritone as it is the closest to the guitar...DGBE ...for the first uke, I suggest an entry level uke, until she is sure she will
stick with it......Good Luck!! MM Stan..

I sort of agree with Mim, the KA's are a bit nicer looking and probably a bit more durable, but personally I like the sound of the MK's much better. As MM Stan said definately try them out side by side and see which sounds and feels better, everyone likes slightly different things in their ukes.

hope I don't get tempted myself!
Be prepared, make sure to stop by the ATM and get a few hundred bones...just in case:)

I just came back from the shop! My friend got herself the KA-TEM, she loved it the minute she saw it, so what can I say about that? She tried a few baritones, but decided she wanted that really sounded like a uke.

Problem is, I think I've been struck by a tiny case of UAS. I tried the KA-BE, KA-TE, KA-TG, Mainland Mango Tenor and the Eleuke RH series Tenor. I'm really liking the option of the headphone jack that the Eleuke has, since I'm usually up around 1, 2am, and it's impossible to play at that time since my KA-FMC is pretty loud. I like how the tenors feel, a little deeper tone as compared to my concert. Oh no.

I just came back from the shop! My friend got herself the KA-TEM, she loved it the minute she saw it, so what can I say about that? She tried a few baritones, but decided she wanted that really sounded like a uke.

Problem is, I think I've been struck by a tiny case of UAS. I tried the KA-BE, KA-TE, KA-TG, Mainland Mango Tenor and the Eleuke RH series Tenor. I'm really liking the option of the headphone jack that the Eleuke has, since I'm usually up around 1, 2am, and it's impossible to play at that time since my KA-FMC is pretty loud. I like how the tenors feel, a little deeper tone as compared to my concert. Oh no.

You know you can't resist it :p

Top Bottom