rythm problem

bowser

Reaction score
hello all
i asking what kind of exercice can i do to ameliorate rythm comprhension ?

hello all

I'm sorry, I don't know what the word ameliorate means, but I think good rythm exercises are to simply listen to songs, and tap along with the beat, or say when you're in the car with a friend, and there is a song on the radio, if that person is good with rythm, ask them to tap out the beat, and then try to follow along with them. Or buy an inexpensive drum, and actually try to learn to play it (just with simple beats) Or you can try using a metronome, there are even ones online that you can use. Here's one: http://www.metronomeonline.com/

I'm sorry, I don't know what the word ameliorate means, but I think good rythm exercises are to simply listen to songs, and tap along with the beat, or say when you're in the car with a friend, and there is a song on the radio, if that person is good with rythm, ask them to tap out the beat, and then try to follow along with them. Or buy an inexpensive drum, and actually try to learn to play it (just with simple beats) Or you can try using a metronome, there are even ones online that you can use. Here's one: http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Oh and count out the beats, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, whatever, just read the pattern and associate numbers with it.

For me, buying a metronome (a wind up, click, click, click, one) was a worthwhile investment.

I use it to: 1.get some speed up when learning a new strum such as the fan stroke
2. to sing along with so I get an even tempo throughout a song...without playing the uke
3. in the background when doing things around the house, to get even tempos set in my head
4. and when getting a song/playing together

Welcome Bowser!

Depending on your current level, I would suggest Robert Starer's book "Rhythmic Training" (http://www.amazon.com/Rhythmic-Training-Robert-Starer/dp/0769293751).
We used this book as a textbook in the sight-reading class I took at university.

The book begins with basic exercises (quarter and half notes) and progresses to rhythms only real rhythm whizzes can do (i'm talking alternating quintuplets and septuplets!). The exercises are good on their own, but a little help from a friend or teacher might be in order....at least when you are getting started.

I particularly like this book because each exercise can be done with increasing levels of difficulty. When you begin an exercise, you simply speak the rhythm (tah, tah, tah...). Once you've mastered that, you add tapping the beat with your hand on one knee while you speak the rhythm. Once you've master that, you use your other hand to conduct the metre while you tap the beat on your knee and speak the rhythm.

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to post a few recordings of the exercises and explanations of how they work.

peace,
j

well thank you all
fort that price the book seems a good choice and use the internet metronome too
im a beginner since september but i took some lesson and i play a lot at home because it's so cool the probleme is it's my first instrument so i may learn everything (talk english too) ^^

My suggestion would be to count out loud a lot at first. Choose any one chord. Say a C major chord. Count out loud and consistently in four, so "1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc." Just do all downstrums at first. Try to lock in with this as consistently as possible (playing to a metronome would be great for this as suggested above). As you get comfortable with just down strums. Add in a chord change. Try to make that switch that chord as seamless as possible.

Down strums can be a bit boring at first, but they can help you develop a sense of consistency to your rhythm.

Aloha Bowser,
One way to learn is with kid nursery rhymes....because you know the rhythm and timing of the song, might sound silly but it works..
Sing the song and follow the timing and rhythm through the chord progression...just google children nursery rhymes and chords and lyrics....
As you get the basics down, you can progress slowly to harder songs...Good Luck!!! Have fun and Enjoy!!!Happy Strummings!!! MM Stan
If you need help jus ask!!!

My suggestion would be to count out loud a lot at first. Choose any one chord. Say a C major chord. Count out loud and consistently in four, so "1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc." Just do all downstrums at first. Try to lock in with this as consistently as possible (playing to a metronome would be great for this as suggested above). As you get comfortable with just down strums. Add in a chord change. Try to make that switch that chord as seamless as possible.

Down strums can be a bit boring at first, but they can help you develop a sense of consistency to your rhythm.

Some people form the habit of counting in their head, I wish I did this more often when playing instrumental stuff, because my tempo can shift all over the place if I'm not careful.

Two words:

Egg Shakers!

Those little things are a ton-o-fun, and dirt cheap to boot!

Just shake along to any song you hear.

~Michael

Play along with the original recording of the song.

JJ

Similar to egg shakers, I learned rhythm when I decided I wanted to play the bones. I threw a pair in my car and I play them while I am driving (oops)...made a world of difference and nobody plays them, so they get instant cool points. Get them here because Scott is the coolest guy you will ever do business with, I promise.

thanks again
i m happy to see so much people who help me
thanks again guys !

hello all

Here's what I recommend:
Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice.

That's the ONLY way to improve.

PS: Capital I when using the personal pronoun: I not i.
Exercise is spelled with an s, not a second c.
It's rhythm, not rythm.
Comprehension needs an e after the r.
There is a spell checker built into the forum: top right corner of the post screen menu bar.
The gerund form of the verb to ask (asking) requires the present tense of 'to be': I am asking... or abbreviated: I'm asking
Ameliorate is overkill: just say improve.
And you need the first-person possessive pronoun "my" in front of rhythm.

Go easy on the guy :p

English is probably not his first language and Ameliorate seems like a French inspired word I would say... Bienvenu! :)

Top Bottom