The Kamaka Painted Pineapple Thread....

spruce

Reaction score
Hi all...

Last winter I took a tour of the Kamaka factory, and became fascinated with the painted pineapple ukes from the 20's-30's...

The #1 painted pineapple is on display at Kamaka, and is really different from the others I've seen....

Here's a pic of Sam Kamaka holding it:

P1060475.jpg

Here's a few shots I've collected on the web...

KAMAKAKOAPINEAPPLEUKULELEWORIGINALCASEINTERISLANDDECAL1.jpg

BGgbwgBmkKGrHgoH-CsEjlLlzPB1BKkoUwMoQ_3.jpg

kamakasam.jpg

Anyone out there lucky enough to own a Kamaka painted pineapple?
Love to see pics if "yes"...

Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing.

For some odd reason, it seems like a great idea for a tattoo for a "real Kamaka lover".

Does anyone happen to have a good straight-on shot of the Kamaka painted Pineapple that Sam Jr. is holding in the first shot of this thread??

Love to see one if "yes"....

Thanks!

I love these ukes.

I recently emailed Kamaka to see if they would do a custom with a pineapple decal or any sort of painted design, and they said no, sadly. I would love to see them offer an "anniversary edition" with a painted body. I'd be first in line.

For now, I'll have to wait and dream and enjoy my flea tiki pineapple, or buy a kala!

I would love to see them offer an "anniversary edition" with a painted body. I'd be first in line.!

Wouldn't that be cool??
I just love the folkiness of those painted pineapples...

What will that one go for?
I'm guessing 3K or so??
Really hard to say...

I think you may be in the ballpark. At least $1900.

There was on on E$%y while back for a BIN price of 6500.00 that looked a whole lot like this one, but I don't think it sold....

At NAMM, I asked the folks at Kamaka how many of these things they think are out there, and they seem to think there were under 100 made...

Man, I'd love to find one of those... :love:

Speak of the devil.

Yeah, we've been speaking of that devil for a couple days now.... :drool:

Here's a few pics of the painting that I robbed from the auction that we can add to the archives here:

CFi29uwEWkKGrHqQOKiwE0n9OYCzrBNVcMbR230_12.jpg

a351.jpg

a345.jpg

I love the look of the crackled varnish over the painting...

Whoever painted the pineapples in this particular style sure was consistant. Every little mark is consistent from instrument to instrument, which leads me to believe a type of silk screening might have been used??
Hard to say...

Also, look at #1 that Fred Kamaka is holding earlier in the thread....
It's an entirely different style of painting, and the only one like that I've seen...

Top Bottom