bought a new Hofner Bass.

Pippin

Reaction score
I bought a new Hofner Bass. Also, a picture with my Parkwood auditorium-body guitar.

mick_hofner1sm.jpg

mick_parkwood1sm.jpg

Aloha,
Awesome Bass, looks like something Paul would play.....and a nice guitar too!!! Many thanks for sharing....MM Stan..

I have long wanted a Hofner. When I was in college in the mid-'80s, I had a chance to buy a real '64 Hofner in great shape with it's original hard case for $450. I don't know what I was thinking when I passed it up. My dad even tried to talk me into it. I told him I didn't have the money. He said "Put it on lay-away!", and I told him I didn't really need another bass (I had a Rickenbacker back then). Gah! My wife can't believe there was ever a time in my life when I had that much restraint. I guess that is why I now own EIGHT basses. Compensation.

Nice. So that's why you commented on the Hofner in another thread.... ;-)

Strikes me the headstock isn't the same as the headstock fro the 60s.

Nice. So that's why you commented on the Hofner in another thread.... ;-)

Strikes me the headstock isn't the same as the headstock fro the 60s.

Yeah, this headstock is the same as the "vintage 500" that Paul used. The only difference between this one and Paul's original is the tea-cup knobs are not on my model. That's okay, though, because I prefer the look of the knobs on this model.

Nice looking bass.

I had that same model Hofner bass when I played in a Paul McCartney tribute show. You can see me playing it in this video:

It was fun, but I sold it once this gig ended. Somehow when you play one of these it seems to highlight out how much you don't look like a young Paul McCartney. There's no other bass that's so closely identified with a single bassist as that violin shaped Hofner.

- Steve

Last edited:
Top Bottom