string differences

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I tried the search forum and just was run around a bit. I probably wasn't doing it right. Anyway, I was wondering if someone can explain a few things about strings. What are some "brand" names that are good? What are the black strings called? The white strings? Do they come in different gauges like mandolin strings or banjo strings. How long should a set last before changing is needed? Thanks? rem

Aloha Rem50,
Check out southcoastukuleles.com and click on strings and tunings...MM Stan
Might be southcoast ukes.com..

Click my blog and either search "strings" or click on strings in the label cloud half way down right side.

The answer isnt simple.

Re the brand names that are good - Aquila, Worth, Ko'alou, Martin etc - but what matters is the type of uke, and how the strings sound to you - there is no right and wrong. With each uke I buy, I try several sets on them until I find the ones I like. They all carry different strings now, as they are all different ukes. What uke are you getting?

Re the colours - Aquilas are white, but then there are plenty of other brands that make them clear. Also plenty of different brands have black strings

Guages are set by the length of string to the instrument (normally, ie soprano, concert etc).

Life - depends how much you play them - certainly longer than steel guitar strings - months in some cases on my ukes

For what its worth I just changed strings on my Mainland soprano after WAY too long (7 months) and after the initial setting period of about a day or so my uke sounds AMAZING. I think as newbies we tend to overemphasize the importance of the instrument and downplay how much of a role nice strings can play. When I first started on a horrible Hilo I changed the stock strings after a month to some Martin Fluorocarbons and the difference was very real. It stemmed my uas for over a year! Now its back and I am awaiting uke #3 to come in the mail...a fluke concert...now, what strings should I try on that one?

String Brands
  • Aquila
  • Worth
  • D'Addario
  • Martin
  • Ko'olau
  • Hilo
  • Guadalupe
  • Southcoast
  • GHS
  • Fremont
  • Bushman
  • Savarez*
  • D'Addario Titanium T-2*
*Classical Guitar Strings

String Types
[*]
  • Nylgut
  • Fluorocarbon
  • Nylon
  • Gut

String Diameters will vary with the type of string, with nylon/nylgut being thicker than fluorocarbon strings (Fremont, Worth). Some sets will include wound strings (G or C) if you so choose (another personal choice). Some string manufacturers will also offer colored strings (Guadalupe) - again, comes down to preference. Strings sets will also have different tensions. Bottom line, selecting strings sets really comes down personal preference. Take into consideration sound, feel and playability. You'll end up trying several sets or combinations before finding what works for ya.

Thanks for all the help. I have a Cordoba 25ck if that means anything to anybody. It seems to be a solid body uke. It came with black strings on it. I have have it for a week and played about a hour a day and they are just starting to stay close to tuning. Is it normal to take that long? I am looking for a mellow sound. Something I can play some soft stuff on. I always had thought of the uke as a sort of goofy instrument but have had an extreme change of heart. I am mostly a bluegrass instrument player but I wanted something I could play some Croce or Diamond on and I am tired of a guitar. So with that new info what tpye is mellower? I never heard of fluorcarbon or nylgut. This is all new territory, thanks for helping out!
rem

Cordoba now you're talking.

Hi,
Your Cordoba ukulele was made near Braga in Portugal, you can find their website
apc-instruments (guitaras e violas) it's in Portuguese Spanish and English.
apc generally put Dragao strings on but changed recently to putting Aquilla strings on. Aquillas give a nice bright sound.
I put Worth strings on mine, expensive but you get double length strings. My choice are Worth brown strings that give the instrument a beautiful rich tone.
Your choice?
You might find that Cordoba drill extra holes through the body of the ukulele at the bridge, because Portuguese players don't tie a guitar type loop at the bridge.
They push the string into the body draw it through the sound hole tie a huge knot and there fore allow the tension to pull from under the bridge and not the back.
It's quite a good idea.
Cheers.

...a fluke concert...now, what strings should I try on that one?

I've got some Aquilas to put on my new Fluke eventually. I'm still playing the stock strings just to get some use out of them. I'm pretty sure the difference will be amazing.

I ukuelista I would love to try the worth brown strings you mentioned but what do i order? I went to a site and there were more than I could figure out. I have a concert uke. thanks!

Worth strings

Hi,
I always buy a set for a tenor BT 63" I cut them down and save or sell the left overs. One set for a tenor will string three sopranos.
I strung my concert (probably the same instument as yours) with Worth BC 46".
The B is for brown and T, C, S, is the size of ukulele. Worth do a clear flouro carbon string also the packets are marked CT or CC or CS.

Quick tip, I like Low G tuning so I buy D'Addrio 'd' strings for classical guitar cut the down and tune them as a Low G string on my ukuleles.

Sincerely hope this helps.
Let me know.

I have several ukes of different sizes and woods. I've tried many difference strings on each of them, and always end-up liking Worth Clears the best. I love the tone, feel, and size of the strings.

Hi, I would go for the 8th one down BT Tenor. He doesn't seem to have BC Concert (unless I missed something).
You might find BC concert else where. This store has a dizzying range. Too much choice can kill a market.
Any way BT Tenor is my choice from the list. Shop around.
Cheers

What are the black strings called?
I call mine Darth, Jerec, Boc Aseca and Sariss...
The white strings are:
Qui-gon, Cin Drallig, Shaak Ti and Aayla...

;-)

Aloha Rem50,
Check out southcoastukuleles.com and click on strings and tunings...MM Stan
Might be southcoast ukes.com..
I have to agree with Stan. Southcoast Ukes has great strings. I had Worth clears on my Kiwaya kts-4 and didnt like them,
I changed to Southcoast strings and they are great. I'm not sure on this but wouldnt tenor strings be a different diameter from soprano strings.?

MGM or Elderly, but I prefer to get them from MGM.... he doesn't have them on his site at the moment... strange
Best bet would be to call him to see what's available. What's shown online does not necessarily mean he doesn't have them.

Hi,
I always buy a set for a tenor BT 63" I cut them down and save or sell the left overs. One set for a tenor will string three sopranos.
I strung my concert (probably the same instument as yours) with Worth BC 46".
The B is for brown and T, C, S, is the size of ukulele. Worth do a clear flouro carbon string also the packets are marked CT or CC or CS.

Quick tip, I like Low G tuning so I buy D'Addrio 'd' strings for classical guitar cut the down and tune them as a Low G string on my ukuleles.

Sincerely hope this helps.
Let me know.

Interesting. Are you saying that there is no difference in the strings for the different uke sizes, other than the length of the strings? Then I guess it would make sense for all soprano players to buy tenor strings, ahd have three sets of soprano strings, from one set of tenors. (Would a tenor set make two sets of concert strongs?) But are you sure about that--no difference in thickness, etc.?

I would guess one could not use baritone strings for that, as they are tuned EGBD, so are probably thicker. Although they do make AECG strings for bari too, so maybe those would make 4 sets of soprano strings?

One would have to be sure though, that the only difference is the length.

Top Bottom