PDA

View Full Version : Makala MK-SD (stolen from my wife)

Anton K
11-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Ok, I purchased this for my wife. I got the yellow sunburst. I bought it because I had heard from so many "it stays in tune". So it comes with some ugly nylon black strings that somewhere I heard was Aquila? I don't think they are. I changed the strings instantly.

Yesterday I was fully prepared to argue the whole "it stays in tune" thingy. It takes a good 3 days to stretch the strings on this beast. I got the ADS plastic back model which I am totally amazed and in love with. This back accents slides, hammer on's and pull off's better then most and dare I say more expensive sopranos.

I know there are many out there who will tell me that sound only comes from the soundboard and paper mache back and sides prove this....well play the Makala MK-SD is all I can say in response. I don't know the physics? But I know the sound and they have a great sound going on in this "CHEAP" (less than 40 bucks) ukulele.

I love to hot rod. To think what if? I don't like the brass frets. Though to be truthful I am an old man with many ukuleles in my collection (most of them Hot rodded), I probably will not out live the brass frets on the MK-SD, but will replace them with nickel. Will obviously bone out the neck and saddle.This is a fine ukulele and the dolphin bridge is going to be recognisable years from now.

This Uke has an Agathis wood top. Which is a cheap tone wood. I have read where some want to sand it down to get rid of the painted high gloss finish? I am not sure this would be a good idea but the idea is intriguing. I suspect it would muddy the sound. Particularly with such a huge dolphin bridge on the soundboard.And that Dolphin is what makes it visualy.

Right out of the package it is a 6 out of 10, upgrade to Aquila Soprano strings and do the 3 days of painfull stretching required it is a 8 out of 10. I suspect when I am done boning? 10 out of 10.

Truthfully I would love to see this ADS body incorperated into concert and tenor body models. It is the reverb that makes the MK-SD, which is is going to go down in ukulele history.

The MK-SD is History, worth every dime you spend on it.

mm stan
11-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Aloha Anton,
Sometimes you get lucky and get the Gem of the bunch...I've got cheap ukes I like many times more than my expensive ones....Have Fun and enjoy!! Happy Strummings!! MM Stan..

Lori
11-19-2010, 07:04 PM
I own 2 Makalas MK-SD (Orange Burst and Metallic Blue) and I think they are great (with Aquila strings). So I decided that this is the year I become Ukulele Santa to my 2 brother's families. All of the nieces and nephews are teens now, and so I am getting 9 dolphin ukuleles in assorted colors. I don't expect all of them to end up loving it as much as I do, but if two or three out of the group end up liking it, I will be happy. At first I thought I would just give them to the teenagers, but then I decided it would be more fun if the whole family had ukes. Since we started combining birthday and Christmas presents, I decided to make this year a memorable one. It has been a challenge to find that many Dolphins, especially since they are selling fast, but I was able to find a few at one of the independent local music stores, and several on Amazon (soon to be delivered). If you need to find one in Los Angeles, Larry Larson Music in Glendale still has a few. Now I have to re-string 9 ukuleles, and hopefully get the strings settled in before Christmas.

–Lori

guitharsis
11-20-2010, 03:39 AM
Some Dolphins available at NC Ukulele Academy www.alohau.com

Picked up two Makala MK-S there a couple of days ago. Had some Aquila strings put on them and they sound great at that price point!

CountryMouse
11-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Some Dolphins available at NC Ukulele Academy www.alohau.com

Picked up two Makala MK-S there a couple of days ago. Had some Aquila strings put on them and they sound great at that price point!

I'm so glad I read your post! I have been searching for a pink Makala MK-S all over the Web. I already have a white one (all laminate wood) and love it. I want to decorate the pink one with either mousie stickers or Hello Kitty stickers. :)

So I just bought one plus a soft gig bag. I think I have a set of soprano Aquilas around here, so I didn't buy those.

Is Kala phasing out the Dolphins? They seem to be getting scarce!

Thanks again!

CountryMouse

guitharsis
11-25-2010, 12:39 AM
Great! Don't believe they are phasing out the Dolphins. It is my understanding is that they just can't keep Dolphins in stock.:)

CountryMouse
11-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Great! Don't believe they are phasing out the Dolphins. It is my understanding is that they just can't keep Dolphins in stock.:)

Ah, okay--thanks! :)

CountryMouse