Back to Basics, you?

Dane

Reaction score
I have an issue with doing anything that I find dreadfully boring, as I would assume most people would. But this usually means that I end up avoiding it. I have long avoided learning many things musically, mostly in relation to music theory. So I'm going back and learning this stuff! But I'm actually finding it fun, SURPRISE! I've found with my skills I've developed mostly through experimentation that picking up a lot of this stuff is much easier, almost suspiciously easy. And it's really interesting now, starting to learn theory, to see how I was using it and/or breaking it in my own way.

I know a few artists who have never taken any sort of musical lessons in their lives, and have only played with their instruments. And they are very talented and have their own unique sound. But this took them oh, 30+ years to get to that point.

I just thought I would post this, in case there were other people out there like me, or in case some new players needed a different point of view of the stuff they are trying to get through.

It should all be fun if you're doing it on an ukulele :)

Have a good one,
-Dane

I'm like you, Dane. I can play what I'm told but now I'm getting into the "why am I playing this note/chord?" mentality. I bought a book on theory and I've been reading it here and there. It's helped a little bit. I still have a looooong way to go though.

I have an issue with doing anything that I find dreadfully boring...
Which is why I would rather slit my wrists than exercise in the gym. At least at home I can put on one of my DVDs or lectures, and learn something while I try to tone.

But face it, boredom is a relative state of mind. It's like food tastes. Or education. Tell yourself you will like something, tell yourself you're interested in it and you will be. Do the opposite and of course it's dull, boring and tedious. You can make anything interesting and exciting just through your own attitude. Do I sound like an ad for a self-help course? Probably. But it's true.

Which is why I would rather slit my wrists than exercise in the gym. At least at home I can put on one of my DVDs or lectures, and learn something while I try to tone.

But face it, boredom is a relative state of mind. It's like food tastes. Or education. Tell yourself you will like something, tell yourself you're interested in it and you will be. Do the opposite and of course it's dull, boring and tedious. You can make anything interesting and exciting just through your own attitude. Do I sound like an ad for a self-help course? Probably. But it's true.

You make a great point here, and I think even for someone who might have this idea integraded into their life, that they too would forget this on occasions and need a reminder. Thank you.

I'm like you, Dane. I can play what I'm told but now I'm getting into the "why am I playing this note/chord?" mentality. I bought a book on theory and I've been reading it here and there. It's helped a little bit. I still have a looooong way to go though.

Yes it's very interesting, at first it is all "I just want to make pretty sounds, and who cares what it means if I can always make nice sounds" but then you stumble upon some strange eerie chord, and you wonder why it fascinates you so much. Perhaps it is my never-ending goal to seek explanations for the way my brain works, but I think this is a good starter point.

I agree it should be fun, but a little boring work sometimes opens up a new world. I played for three years and could never play an E, but then came the day when I wanted to play a song with a group and I could't transpose away from the key that required it, and E7 just didn't work. I played a really boring excercise for about 5 minutes per day for a couple of weeks, and discovered I can play an E chord! It was worth it!

If you play for 30 minutes per day and you can make 25 minutes fun then I think anyone should be able to stand 5 minutes of drudgery, if it leads to improvement.

I had to play for a long time before I found theory interesting, just had to be at the right point of progression I suppose.

I think that's how a lot of people start out! they just wanna get straight to playing the instrument! That's how I started out.

I think that's how a lot of people start out! they just wanna get straight to playing the instrument! That's how I started out.

Well it's been 4 years now, and I have been playing my instrument haha, I think most people go after the theory side a little sooner than that.

Top Bottom