no ukeing at work

janeray1940

Reaction score
As mentioned in this happy little thread, I've been meeting up with uke player friends for a little mid-day strumming. We've been playing in the courtyard of the office building that adjoins mine (mine also has a courtyard, but it's not as pleasant).

Today we were told we could no longer do this because there had been a complaint.

This makes me sad. Not only that we've been displaced, but that someone complained about ukulele players.

I mean - really??

Today we were told we could no longer do this because there had been a complaint.
Were you playing country music? I'd not only complain, I'd be the point man on the fire brigade to hose you down.... ;-)

Were you playing country music? I'd not only complain, I'd be the point man on the fire brigade to hose you down.... ;-)

Welllllll... we do play a couple of Patsy Cline songs, does that count?

Well, that sucks. Can you play in the other courtyard even if it's not as nice, or is there a park nearby?

Or since you said it's an office building, are there any conference rooms not being used that you could book for a lunchtime get together?

I was unicycling and doing tricks in a parking lot before one of my classes every day, not hurting anyone or doing damage to anything or being loud or anything that could be conceivably annoying to anyone, and almost every single person that saw me was fascinated and would ask me questions and stuff, and one day someone complained. It's just the way the world is. We could come up with all sorts of reasons, ex: the person likes to control things, the person hates ukuleles, the person is jealous, the person is horrible and mean and has no soul, the list goes on, but of course, an ukulele player being at fault will never make the list.

Well, that sucks. Can you play in the other courtyard even if it's not as nice, or is there a park nearby?

Or since you said it's an office building, are there any conference rooms not being used that you could book for a lunchtime get together?

There has to be something - I'm going to do a bit of investigation next week to see if there is an other uke-friendly public space nearby. I *wish* conference rooms were readily available, that would also solve the "what do we do if it rains?" problem that we've faced recently (you know, for those 5 days a year that it rains in Southern California!).

almost every single person that saw me was fascinated and would ask me questions and stuff, and one day someone complained. It's just the way the world is.

Very similar story. The people who did comment all seemed genuinely appreciative!

There has to be something - I'm going to do a bit of investigation next week to see if there is an other uke-friendly public space nearby. I *wish* conference rooms were readily available, that would also solve the "what do we do if it rains?" problem that we've faced recently (you know, for those 5 days a year that it rains in Southern California!).
Use umbrellas, and film it too, could be a cool video.

Very similar story. The people who did comment all seemed genuinely appreciative!
Well it should help you narrow it down, who were the people who walked by that kept from making eye contact, or who is it that keeps their window open during that time, or who closes their window, or who eats their lunch in their car that is only parked 50 feet away from your location. I think you could have some fun investigating. Or you could put up a flier asking the person to come forward and offer them a ukulele lesson, or form a petition to allow ukulele playing during lunch hours surrounding the premises

Use umbrellas, and film it too, could be a cool video... you could put up a flier asking the person to come forward and offer them a ukulele lesson, or form a petition to allow ukulele playing during lunch hours surrounding the premises

I love both of these ideas! :)

Oh I forgot one other, it might be someone who plays another instrument, and just misunderstands the ukulele, and maybe you can get them to play their instrument with you! Or maybe they're musically inept, and you can give them a wood block to beat on or something.

I like this guessing game, this is fun.

Oh I forgot one other, it might be someone who plays another instrument, and just misunderstands the ukulele, and maybe you can get them to play their instrument with you! Or maybe they're musically inept, and you can give them a wood block to beat on or something.

I like this guessing game, this is fun.

There had been talk of bringing an extra uke or two and asking passersby to join us.

I'm sure I'll never find out who it was, but it's kind of fun to think about it in these terms.

You should bring drums in tomorrow and play there.

Some people are just A holes. Ask your boss, or whoever told you, who complained and why. You have rights too. Ask your boss or whoever if there is another place you can play so you don't bother the A hole. Put it on them. I am a supervisor and if I had to tell someone "sombody complained" I would be ready for this. Hell, it's not 1933 before the labor movement. Engage them to help you, they probably think the complainer is a big Pain in the A too.

Anyway too Bad for them, probably like the cratchet (sic?) guy in the Xmas story.

Ask your boss, or whoever told you, who complained and why...

Anyway too Bad for them, probably like the cratchet (sic?) guy in the Xmas story.

It was one of the property management company's security guards who told us. I have a feeling it's an insurance liability issue or something ridiculous like that. Said security guard wasn't very willing to disclose any information and was a bit of an A-hole himself, so I wasn't about to push it any further.

I work for one of many companies in a big, anonymous corporate development - there really is no recourse except to go somewhere else.

And yeah, it was a bit of a BAH HUMBUG moment.

sorry to hear of this Jane, cause what you are doing is sharing joy and a love of music. Some people are hard hearted, bitter and twisted and it doesn't matter how nice to them you are, they hate you anyway. If you're really nice, they'll hate you even more. If you're nice to them and happy as well, they'll hate you more still. It's human nature. Personal experience. Some people just resent seeing other people enjoying themselves. It's very sad I reckon.

Top Bottom