Soundboard thickness variaton on new custom uke: advice needed

Doc_J

Reaction score
I am looking for advice and opinions on the effects of a soundboard thickness problem. About a week ago I received a custom built ukulele from a very well-known and respected luthier. It arrived with rough sanding marks around the bridge, so I sent it back for surface refinishing. The luthier apologized and assured me the sanding marks were just an oversight and a refinish would not effect the wood thickness (a concern of mine). Well after a week at the luthier's shop I was informed that refinish was much better but not to the satisfaction of the luthier, and given several options, of having a new one built or take this one at a discount. The ukulele was returned to me to examine.

The surface finish was vastly improved, very nice, in fact. But I noticed the soundboard thickness had been dramatically altered. The right side of the soundboard on the lower bout (A-string side) now has a taper, beginning at the edge of the bridge linearly decreasing to almost zero thickness at the edge. This is a result of the refinish. I have attached a picture of the lower bout with my engineers square (for reference) showing this. There is a slight depression on the other side of the soundboard too. [The luthier did say that the finish was not up to his standard.]

I have two concerns. One is that the thin section is structurally weak and will lead to cracks in the sound board down the road. And, I swear, it sounds a bit different now.

Are my concerns (and hearing) faulty? Am I being too picky? Is there anything else I should consider? Would you recommend keeping the uke or having a replacement made? I have been given the option of a steep discount or having a replacement built? I am leaning towards a replacement, as I am worried about long term cracking. Advice would be much appreciated.

The luthier has been very good to work with on this problem, a nice person and more than fair to me.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Doc if this were my custom, I would reject it and ask the luthier for a new soundboard. I'm sure he isn't pleased with it as any true craftsman wouldn't be. I'm sure something can be worked out with him but again, I would reject it in its current condition. I don't think you are being picky.

New top, or, if you like the new sound, keep it, but ask for a portion of your money back, as you essentially have a "second".

Let me clarify. The luthier has generously offered to build an entire new one for me, or I can keep this one at deep discount.

I do like the current, but flawed uke. However, if this thinned soundboard might be a problem in the future, I will take his offer to build me a new one.

So, my question is: Will this thinned soundboard be a problem (cracks) down the road?

Last edited:
I would be very concerned about that, and would take the "new uke" option, without a doubt.

John Colter.

Depends How much of a discount eh and if you dig the sound, you dig....The new one sounds like a better idea...

How is the sound now? Is it louder? Brighter? Just too curious, I gotta ask.

How is the sound now? Is it louder? Brighter? Just too curious, I gotta ask.

Hi Vic,

The G, C, E strings sound the same. The A-string sounds like it has a few more harmonics, just a little. Its "ring" isn't quite as sharp as before. I can only quantify it as just a little more "banjo-like". I don't know that I care for that. I did record a sound sample of the uke before I sent it back. So I can verify the difference is real, not in my head. Oh the A string is a bit louder too.

Last edited:
Hi Vic,

The G, C, E strings sound the same. The A-string sounds like it has a few more harmonics, just a little. Its "ring" isn't quite as sharp as before. I can only quantify it as just a little more "banjo-like". I don't know that I care for that. I did record a sound sample of the uke before I sent it back. So I can verify the difference is real, not in my head. Oh the A string is a bit louder too.

Thank you, Doc.

You might want to think of it this way. Have you hung onto every single instrument you have bought? If not, there may come a time when you want to upgrade, or just become interested in a different sound. When you then offer this instrument for sale, are you going to disclose that it is essentially a second? Will the luthier want this potentially compromised instrument floating around on the market with his name on it? Right now the luthier is offering to stand behind his work & provide you with a discount for your trouble but you both may see things a little differently 2 years from now. When I had a woodworking shop, I refused to even give away something that I wasn't 100% proud of because there will always come the time when someone says, "Oh, I see, that's an example of your work."

I'm sure the discount is tempting but I would opt for the replacement uke and in addition I would expect the luthier to sweeten the deal. He should have never sent you a custom instrument that did not come up to his standards. Sounds to me like someone who is not in control of their business.

I would definitely not want a new top. Tearing the fingerboard off, taking the top off and fitting a new one back on. Odds are it still is not going to look right.

You should not have been put through this in the first place if this is a pro you are dealing with. If he is a new up and coming builder then I might cut him some more slack and expect his price to reflect that.

Thanks everyone for your input. That really helped.

I decided to opt for a new replacement uke.

The luthier generously offered to let me keep this one until the new one is ready.
I don't know when the replacement will be ready, my guess is 6 months from now.

I'm sure the discount is tempting but I would opt for the replacement uke and in addition I would expect the luthier to sweeten the deal. He should have never sent you a custom instrument that did not come up to his standards. Sounds to me like someone who is not in control of their business.

I would definitely not want a new top. Tearing the fingerboard off, taking the top off and fitting a new one back on. Odds are it still is not going to look right.

You should not have been put through this in the first place if this is a pro you are dealing with. If he is a new up and coming builder then I might cut him some more slack and expect his price to reflect that.

Well said, I couldn't have put it better. In my opinion I think it would be in the best interest of BOTH parties to start over. Even if it seems acceptable now, such a thin spot in the sound board jeopardizes the integrity of the uke that'll only get worse with time.

Top Bottom